Ban "First Posts" in Screening Rooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem Statement:

New users whose first and only posts are in the screening rooms are taking eyeballs away from community minded IT members.

Proposed Solution:
Require a post count of "1" before allowing a user to post in the screening rooms.

Comments:
I'm seeing a lot of new users FIRST POSTS in the screening rooms. Seems a bit like traffic generation, which may or may not be a good thing.

In fairness I do see several FIRST posts in screening rooms where the new users responds and is interested in feedback\community.

imho that should be the purpose of the screening room in any forum. A place where people can screen their videos irrespective of their standing at the forum.

Members can then choose to view what they wish. For example, i dont have the time to watch all the videos in the screening room, so i just view those from people i know and others that may interest me. But someone else who wishes to peruse videos should be able to do so.

At the same time, if someone makes a great film/video and wants to share it here on IT, i wouldnt require him to have a certain post count to share it with us.

And if it is just for traffic generation, which most of it is, it stays contained in the appropriate section without being spammed everywhere.

Just my opinion, what does everyone else think?

Doesn't bother me at all, newcomers posting their films. It's what it's there for, and if they are excited enough on their first post to share their film and get some feedback, then it's all good.

Obviously promotional material in there does, though - such as that chucklehead earlier today, making you connect to his FB page in order to see anything. That's not what the Screening Room is for.

Oh, and there should be an auto-filter that automagically moves any post to Promotions forum if it has a link to Indiegogo or Kickstarter anywhere in the post.
smiley_colbert.gif

Also, this is why I am not a mod. :lol:

Not a bad idea, there are a lot of people that aren't a part of the community just soliciting views...

Of course, I was one of those guys :D And I stuck around.

I second what Ernest said.

Of course many of the posts are "drive-bys" - just traffic generation.
But so what? I know I don't look at them but to "ban" people from
posting videos in the screening room just because they haven't
posted before seems draconian. Does that really take eyeballs away
from community minded IT members? Do you believe that community
minded IT members do not look at the videos because of this?

How do these types of posting affect your personal enjoyment of
indietalk? Clearly this bothers you, wheat, but will a posting quota
make a difference in your enjoyment of the forums?

I waited to join until I thought I had something worthy enough to share in the screening room. The way I see it, what better way to start a discussion of film and filmmaking than by sharing something you've made? I've never understood this complaint, which crops up occasionally. I don't doubt it bothers some folks, and I wish I better understood it.

As far as I'm concerned, if you see something you want to check out in the screening room, check it out. If you feel like commenting, comment. If you don't, skip it.

As for screening room entries that are really promotions or kickstarter campaigns or "I need a million YouTube hits to win five bucks off my roomate," we try to move them to promotion when we can, but we can only do that if we happen to see them. If you see something inappropriate there, or something that's really an ad and not just someone sharing their film, PLEASE report it. Reported posts are usually dealt with by one of us within minutes.

The more the merrier, in my opinion, even if somebody has no interest in anything other than getting more views for their video. I can choose to watch it or not.

The only one-and-done posters that bug me are the people who are selling something, but pretend to just be sharing some great news with you, or the people who want you to watch their movie, but pretend they had nothing to do with it, and want to ask you a question about it, or something.

It's nice to see a welcome post first, but it really doesn't matter.

If you keep them from posting in TSR, they will post the film link in a forum they can post in, like The Lobby, which just causes more work for the mods, so it will actually cause more problems.

We welcome filmmakers and their films; first, second, or 1000th post.

Not changing anything. But thanks.

The more the merrier, in my opinion, even if somebody has no interest in anything other than getting more views for their video. I can choose to watch it or not.

The only one-and-done posters that bug me are the people who are selling something, but pretend to just be sharing some great news with you, or the people who want you to watch their movie, but pretend they had nothing to do with it, and want to ask you a question about it, or something.

I concur. It's great to see what people have done, and even if it's a hit-and-run it can still be a good film. As long as people are honest about it, it doesn't bother me - it's not like we have to watch them.

I propose a new ruleā€¦ you have to post something in the screening room before you can ask more than ten questions ;)

I think there should be some type of post requirement for the screening room. I waited at least 5 posts before posting in there, and It is annoying seeing someone's threat where they share their video or page and they only have one post.

What's the point of giving them feedback if they never come back to the site to view it?

Hit and runners are annoying but tbh if you look at the number of replies to posted films then it's not worth complaining about.

I get more feedback and views from a non film-making forum. I'd rather have feedback from experienced filmmakers rather than abuse from a keyboard warrior though.

I would like to see some contribution to the community (says me who disappears on and off :lol:) and a first post would be nice HOWEVER:

As others have said, if they just want to "get the word out" I can understand that too-and there are probably quite a few people who started by just posting their film, and as they got feedback they saw what a great community this is and became members :)

So, if it's no harm/no foul to the powers that be on these boards, then I'm okay with it :)

That irritates me, too. But they are quite transparent and we
tend to call them out on it. And that's kind of fun.

I think there should be some type of post requirement for the screening room. I waited at least 5 posts before posting in there, and It is annoying seeing someone's threat where they share their video or page and they only have one post.
The problem with this is then we would get people who post
five "Nice job" or "I agree" posts in order to make the criteria.

What's the point of giving them feedback if they never come back to the site to view it?
Totally agree. I never give feedback to anyone posting a video
as their first post. For exactly the reason you give. But I don't
see how requiring a posting quota will help even that situation.

I love this place because it's so open to new people. I'd hate to
see that change.

I could see a 'post quota' maybe working in the 'promotion' section but not in The Screening Room...

This is a filmmaking forum after all and if they've made a film then they should be welcomed with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back