movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

A Tale of Two Sisters - 7/10
Great. At times unnverving and atmospheric, with somewhat brutal domestic scenes and it was beautifully made and shot. Ji-Woon Kim is 2 for 2 for films I've seen, so I can't wait to watch The Good, The Bad and The Weird & I Saw The Devil

The Brothers Grimm - 3/10
Seriously awful. I mean, I like Terry Gilliam, Heath Ledger and Matt Damon, but this film was just terrible. Tried to hard to be funny when it shouldn't have been comedy at all, I know it's Gilliam and he's a funny guy but, come on, time and place. The use of fairytales was fine to a point but it just touched on so many, just so it could, instead of looking at a few in detail.
I hated it, which sucks, 'cause if I'm honest, I did try to like it.

I saw A Better Life in the cinema. It was sweet but not as serious as it could've been. But I would stress that it's still a good movie.

Saw a couple of films on the plane home today. Neither were very good, Paul and HappyThankYouMorePlease...

Sucker Punch again :blush:

Followed that up with Watchmen, a film I have tried to watch a few times before. Really enjoyed it, when it got going. There's just something about the opening credits that bores me something terrible, though. Made it past that point this time, and really got into it.

I've never heard pop music in a film that wasn't a musical work so well as in the watchmen.
How was Sucker Punch? I was looking forward to it till the reviews started coming in.. that kind of put me off, but part of me wants to think "okay, these reviewers just weren't willing to "go with it".

How was Sucker Punch? I was looking forward to it till the reviews started coming in.

The reviews are pretty accurate. It's not a great film at all. More like a stylised music video, blended with live-action anime, and a plot that might have well been written by a WoW gamer. (Collect these 4 items, then collect your reward)

The soundtrack is really good, though. Also, the actual world(s) design is pretty amazing.

Other similar films:

Moulin Rouge (2001)
Tron 2

Aww.. Baz Luhrmann.. one of my two biggest disappointments of the last decade.. Luhrmann's Trilogy of "Epic"s, and George Lucas saying "I'm going to do more experimental things after Episode III, things like THX1138. I think I've earned the right to fail."

:sigh/shake head:

Oh, ahem. Sorry.

Aww.. Baz Luhrmann.. one of my two biggest disappointments of the last decade.. George Lucas saying "I'm going to do more experimental things after Episode III, things like THX1138. I think I've earned the right to fail."

:sigh/shake head:

Oh, ahem. Sorry.

I really feel bad for Lucas after reading this, He has absolutely earned the right to go off and do his own thing. 10x over. This is one man that entertained literally 2 full generations of people. If anyone has the right to selfishly make films only they want to watch, it's George.

To above posters about Sucker Punch, this is what happens when you make a movie with people who grew up on Street fighter instead of Stienbeck. Make a weak story and then throw in an hour of unnatached dream sequences? This was an idea that should have been spotted as bad from the outset.

Watch it, and learn how not to write, and that high budget can't save a bad idea

I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated, hated, hated Sucker Punch. I made quite a big fuss about it at the time but my hatred has yet to subside...

I just say Senna this evening. Wonderful documentary, deserves to be seen.

Not sure that came across how I meant it - I meant George Lucas said that and I was totally looking forward to whatever he came up with - but all I've heard is that he's still mining StarWars. (disappointed)

Not sure that came across how I meant it - I meant George Lucas said that and I was totally looking forward to whatever he came up with - but all I've heard is that he's still mining StarWars. (disappointed)

Ok sorry I did misunderstand. My fault. I thought you were saying it was a dissapointment he didn't keep making star wars. In a way, it is, there were originally supposed to be 9 movies. I'll surely watch all his crazy future experiments also, sounds fun seeing what he can do outside the confines of Star Wars and IJ.

Suffered through Transormers #1 last night. Dang, it was bad! :eek:

Even more shocking was the rating: PG13 . There was so much casual & gratuitous death in it, that it deserved an R at least.

I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated, hated, hated Sucker Punch.

It's still better than Transformers. :tongue:

The Tree of Life.

Visually this film is amazing. Seriously good cinematography. But I didn't enjoy myself and found it excruciating to watch.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
B
I actually really liked this film, which I didn't expect to when I started watching it because I just thought it'd be filled with crude humor (there was a lot of it of course) but it seemed a great deal more intelligent and had some great cameos and hilarious scenes (Matt Damon's cameo and Wes Craven's cameo spring to mind)

Back