The story behind the name.

I always wonder what inspires the name of productions companies or even member names, assuming it's not your name abbreviated which might be fairly obvious.

Got any anecdotes to share about the genesis of your prodco or screename? How did it come about? Is it based on a favorite film character? Street name? Your pet hamster?

For me, Flicker Pictures was a combination of film being pictures that flicker (duh), it seems to roll off the tongue nicely, and as a New Hampshire native you get to pronounce it Flickah Pikchizz.

Well, that's that. Chime in if ya want. :)

* also, include the date of creation if you can remember. Flicker Pictures came about in 1993 or thereabouts. I think...

Last Chancey Productions -- because my name is Clayton Chancey, and I used to watch these Christian kids movies (in retrospect, they were totally lame) called the Last Chance detective, and I was all over that shit. So Last Chancey just seemed appropriate.

I thought it had to do with flicking boogers at the theater. Boy, the things we assume sometimes. ;)

CamVader has absolutely nothing to do with anything and was picked randomly when I joined, although I am a Star Wars fan. It's turned into a drunken tattoo that I have to live with.

Can you change your screen name?

Well my name is Nick, so that explains 50% of my username.

My film website (and prodco) is called The Clapper Bored. I was writing casual film reviews a couple of years ago and I wanted a catchy name to write them under, so I came up with that as a pun. I still like it but it's very difficult to transfer orally to people as they always assume it's 'board' not 'bored'.

Because my site is The Clapper Bored, I chose Clapper for the second part of my username.

I've been curious about people's usernames on here before. I hope no one thought that I was actually called Nick Clapper...

I know it's an Arctic phenomenon, but I liked Midnight Sun Entertainment because I lived in Arizona at the time (lots of sun) and I liked to stay up all night. Midnight was my time of night.

MidnightSunlogo2.jpg

i no im fairly new hear but thought id still chime in lol.

When i was like 8 my sister was making me an email adress, i had no ideas for one so she just put brettzdaman because my name is brett. Ever since then ive used brettzdaman as my user name on everything. I got brettzdamn because it was a type-o when signing up. lol

I've always wondered the same thing. Great thread, Flicker.

Papertwinproductions The former Papertwin was a title for an early script Antony wrote in 2009, perhaps a little earlier- It was based upon the progression of the growing social "communcation". The focal point being two characters (Twin). Whether the "Paper" is ironic, i'm not so sure.

I wasn't around at the time.

But we like to believe we think alike. So Papertwin stuck.

It's a right sod to fit into a logo. :)

Murdock, cause I flew helicoters in Vietnam. OR I dig the A-Team, the TV show. Not that movie with Rob Roy as the leader.:)

i no im fairly new hear but thought id still chime in lol.

When i was like 8 my sister was making me an email adress, i had no ideas for one so she just put brettzdaman because my name is brett. Ever since then ive used brettzdaman as my user name on everything. I got brettzdamn because it was a type-o when signing up. lol
:lol:

It's very prosaic; my first "studio" - a small mixer, hardware MIDI sequencer, two keyboards, a few MIDI modules, a SMPTE generator and an 8-Track reel-to-reel tape machine - was in the alcove of my apartment. I was doing arrangements for bands, song demos and cassette duplication, so I needed a name for my business cards. And ALCOVE AUDIO PRODUCTIONS was born.

Beef Tips On Rice Productions. Named after my old bowling team. Which was, itself, named after a lunch special at the bowling alley the day we had to pick our team names. Three of us were talking out loud, trying to decide on a name, and our fourth, Dave, hungry and easily distracted, read the sign in the cafe out loud in the voice of Homer Simpson: "Mmmmm....beef tips on rice....." and the rest of us said, "Beef Tips On Rice, that works."

We won the league that year.

I've been thinking that if I get a production office around town, I will have to include the phrase "We are NOT a restaurant" on the sign outside...

gelder

I'm all for fun and borderline random names! My screen name here isn't all that creative (Josh Loughrey is my name, so there you go. Perhaps I should have just gone with Loughrey, it's a pretty cool name). That said, my home studio is, and always shall be Asocial Studios (currently in its third location), because, well, I rarely work with others! More randomly, my self-release music label is Gnarphlager Records, which has marginally deeper routes. In college (96ish I think) I was killing time in the Unix lab and started randomly typing characters. "gnarphlager" was the first pronouncable string that I got, so I kept it. People used to ask what it meant, and I'd give them three guesses. There was, of course, no answer (I'd tell people "I'd know it when I heard it"), and I liked hearing what people came up with.

Dreadylocks origin story:

My older sister has really really dark hair. One summer ('06) she dyed it platinum blonde. We're having some drinks and playing darts one night and I was filling out the score board. On a whim I decided to put her name as Goldilocks, and well, Dreadylocks just seemed natural (I had just made my locks a few months prior).

"Maskingfaces Media" (maskingfaces one word)-I think it's pretty self explanatory :) I tried different variations of mask, masked-but masking-almost in a "present tense" seemed to have an interesting little ring to it, and it stuck.

For my films shorts:

Delivery Day-my original short-just came to me at 2 am with the rest of my story. "Face Value" originally was going to be "The Lesson", a "sequel" to Delivery Day, but the two of them merged into one project which became "Face Value"-and that title just came from the playing around of terms, and and I decided to take film at "Face Value" :)

"Showing Face"-I still haven't figured out how that name came about yet lol.

EDIT: My avatar name is based on a DnD character I had long ago (A drow elf)-and I found it was a name that wasn't in use on the internet, so I went with it :)

Last edited:
The opposite of overxposure. Had it for years, didn't really know what it meant, but I knew that in a bright room my GL2 looked better if I turned down the exposure.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all scientific...

DirtyPicturesTV came about because I long wanted to use the name for a production company, and at the moment I specialize in off-color adult-oriented material with a political edge. I'm very influenced by underground comics.

The TV part of the name is because I'm only working with video and posting material to the web -- I'm skipping festivals entirely, because I think that for shorts, they're mostly obsolete (it's always cooler to be a feature director at a festival). And it amuses me to have a .tv domain -- I guess they watch lots of TV in Tuvalu.

I always had a runny nose as a child. The runny nose eventually went away but the nickname my mother and father gave me stuck forever. Hence the name goober or gooberman, goob, or a combination of my first name Gabriel and my nickname- gooberel.

Back