• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FREE IDEA (the best movie ever)

How about a riff off of the Tenacious D song "The best song ever"

Its a movie ABOUT the best movie ever.. (as opposed to BEING the best movie ever)
Could be a fun mocumentary, or a serious expose.. you decide..

I kinda like that dredy....we could send all the files to one person and they put it up for download for anyone and then all of us editors can piece it together and maybe we can vote on who's piecing fits best for the project.

If people want to email me their parts, I'll throw them up on a basic page for download on my server. Then anyone who wants to try their hand at piecing it together can.

As people are working they can put out requests here for things that they can't get on their own or whatnot.

Maybe we can do like a little contest at the end?

Watcha think?

Wonderful offer Dreadylocks!

How much data can you host?

I don't think I can actually send a 300MB email message via my ISP, but there are other options. For example, uploading to vimeo, and giving you the link where you can download..

Im testing http://www.sendspace.com/ which lets you upload (for free, no registration) files up to 300mb and sends an email to the recipient saying.. get the file here..

That might work a bit better as it looks like i've only got about 2gigs left, although bandwidth wise i'm good to go. If you can compress the files to a format with an acceptable amount of degradation, I'll post them up. Otherwise we can use that sendspace, 300mb should be enough for each part.

Ok, here's the other thing we could do. We could make a communal youtube account, where we all have the password so that anyone can upload and download mp4 versions?

That might work a bit better as it looks like i've only got about 2gigs left, although bandwidth wise i'm good to go. If you can compress the files to a format with an acceptable amount of degradation, I'll post them up. Otherwise we can use that sendspace, 300mb should be enough for each part.

Ok, here's the other thing we could do. We could make a communal youtube account, where we all have the password so that anyone can upload and download mp4 versions?

The youtube is what I was thinking, but the trouble is that you can only download the re compressed version, which might be fine.. I do think that might be better... I was trying to see if youtube had a specific policy about that.. account\content ownership is a tricky thing, the lawyers may demand a human be ultimately responsible..

For what its worth. The sendspace does work, though its AD based, and the actual link to download the file is tiny compared to all the other DOWNLOAD NOW buttons on the page your sent to.. typical, but I fell for it and pushed the wrong "download now" button.. doh! :blush:

I'm going to shoot my piece rough tonight, (still can't a mic, so the sound will be rought, though if someone wants to dub my voice as I'll be wearing a mask ;)) and link it to here for people to see.

I also like the idea of the contest. As far as sending it, I've used "sendit" to send my files to people-it's free to join, and I think it may be a good way to send large files.

I'm open to the other ideas too, however they work! ;)

You may want to establish some guidelines so the footage you pass around has a similar look and feel (resolution, encoding, deinterlacing, etc.). The files I tend to generate even with standard definition and MPEG encoding are considerably larger than any e-mail system could handle. FTP may be "old school", but we still use it on a regular basis professionally because it is the easiest way to transfer several hundred MB to multiple locations simultaneously.

Interesting project. I hope it comes together for you. :cheers:

Cant you remove the shiny bits? anyway, Its not important. If your more comfortable acting a character more "in line" with who you are, adjust that concept.. Say for example.. me, and overweight 40+ year old man could show a complete 180 deg turn of life (like your gag at the end) simply by trowing a BigMac in the trash and doing jumping jacks.. ! Or a punk guy ripping of his leather jacket to reveal a "white shirt and tie" or a goth chick showing up in a cute flower print dress without eyeliner... or maybe.. just maybe YOU are the reveal..
your in shadow the hole time.. as "Harvey" but at the end instead of the gag the way it is, you lean into the light, looking at the camera and pointing to your face saying.. thats why I did this.. :)

I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do dude, that's a great idea!

Whatever we agree on is what I will abide by. Although the guidelines thing my not be nessessary since it is a documentary with various "people" talking about it it at different and unconnected times...the different uses of different cameras could give it a unique feel to it.

Whatever we agree on is what I will abide by. Although the guidelines thing my not be nessessary since it is a documentary with various "people" talking about it it at different and unconnected times...the different uses of different cameras could give it a unique feel to it.

It just depends on the end goal. If the goal is to turn out something that looks semi-professional and not a low-quality YouTube montage, then I sure wouldn't mix 320x240 and 1920x1080 or 8-bit sound with 16-24 bit sound. At least standardize on 720x480 with 16-bit sound, which all cameras should be able to handle. And if the segments are only a couple minutes each, FTP raw DV format instead of MPEG. It will make editing much easier. :yes:

I shot my 2 min last night...but isn't quite what I want, lookwise. It's still a little too bright, looking for more shadow with the backlighting. Also, I have a window I am peeking out of, it isn't visible in the shot. Probably do another take and hopefully get it up tonight. Maybe rework a bit of scripting (wish I had an external mic!)-but as I said, wearing a mask, the dialogue could be redubbed easily enough :)

Hey I haven't watched your upload yet as I don't have sound at work, but to answer your question, you embed by clicking on that little youtube symbol in the advanced post and then just put the part that comes after "v=" between the brackets. Or you can just type the tags out, they look like this (minus the periods): [.YT] [./YT]

Try this again......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKZdvmXFgc

There! If you want to edit yours now, you can Dready! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Got it working, thanks Dready! (forgot to remove the V= part).

Feel free to delete from yours if you wish, or keep it :)

I basically went and quoted your link and it showed me how the embed worked.

Last edited:
Looks good, I love the end there where they are busting in and it just cuts almost mid sentence

Thanks, I had to fiddle with it a bit, cause I've got one of those cameras that show a picture on the flip screen brighter than the actual appearance-need to get a monitor! :lol: It was total shadow before with nothing else, this is a bit better IMO visually. Wish I had an external mic, but it can be dubbed over-the mask makes that easy :)

EDIT: Looking back at it again, I think during the film, either it cutting out into snow, or freeze framing, with the narrator making some comment about " the current whereabouts are unknown"

Also might see about getting some stock mob noise as well-but I'm pleased.

Last edited:
I just hate the sound of my voice is all :P

I've been watching the three clips so far, just to get a mental idea of how the film will shape up. I was thinking there should be some character playing a psychologist or something, talking about the psychological aspects of seeing such wonderous things can do lead the public to exhibit strange behaviors.

I also wonder storyline wise if there's something we could come up with, along with our pieces, that alludes to a coverup or conspiracy of some sort-what exactly I'm not sure, but something maybe that higher powers somewhere are trying to quell down the mania of this "greatest movie ever".

Back