• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro X now available

The only reason I was chomping at the bit for FCPX is mostly because all the freelance editing gigs are looking for Final Cut Pro users specifically. Now all the FCP "pros" are up in arms and ready to storm the Mac Castle. Wild!

Now I'll definitely keep my Adobe Premiere Pro running and might just upgrade that.

Apple rarely drops the ball as they are not only ahead of the curve but creating it. FCPX might be a different story for them.

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/final-cut-pro-x-the-missing-features/

Videoguys are now offering CS5.5 Production Premium for $799 and Avid Media Composer 5.5 for $995 to former Final Cut users.

Apple released this app -W A Y- too soon and the vultures are circling. I had FCPX crash just importing HDV to test it out and it's not recognizing my RAID. They'll fix it, no doubt, but there are a lot of disappointed people right now that are dedicated FCP users.

Probably pushed out an incomplete product to meet their own dead line of "middle of June" The concepts looks great. will definitely be looking forward to the finished product, lol...

Say HELLO to Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, now about to be taken seriously because Apple dropped a big ball with Final Cut...
I may just have to… there's no rush for me, so I think I'll probably wait until CS 6/FCPX 2 are out before making a decision.

In the link Camvader posted, it says that this is not the finished version of FCPX, and Apple will add updates quickly, hopefully addressing things that are missing.

I'll post the link again.

http://library.creativecow.net/adcock_gary/FCPX/1

I'm sure they will, but it doesn't instil much confidence into professional editors when Apple say "oh, that essential feature? We'll add it later." If it wasn't ready, then they should have waited.

Videoguys are now offering CS5.5 Production Premium for $799 and Avid Media Composer 5.5 for $995 to former Final Cut users.

Apple released this app -W A Y- too soon and the vultures are circling. I had FCPX crash just importing HDV to test it out and it's not recognizing my RAID. They'll fix it, no doubt, but there are a lot of disappointed people right now that are dedicated FCP users.

There was also a report of a bug on the Creative Cow forums where you could make changes to the original media without realising - worrying if true.

While I think this has the potential to become an incredibly powerful and intuitive piece of software, at the moment I feel that the "iMovie Pro" moniker is a little too accurate for comfort.

See now, I've used the previous version of FCP once before in my life and edited everything else through iMovie (not the kind of parents that'll say "Any price for you to follow your dream"). It all seemed a little ugly and far too old-fashioned after being used to all the modern-shiny stuff on Mac, and FCPX seems like a pretty cool app to me. I suppose I wouldn't exactly be considered a "pro" though, so for all I know it is a piece of crap that's missing a lot of key features. Right now the majority of reviews are one-star, with an average of three. That's not a good sign.

Every time there is change, people get up in arms.

Apple is notorious for releasing a product that is still in the works and
improving it along the way. Stuns me that so few Apple geeks remember
this. I look forward to giving it a test drive.

(not the kind of parents that'll say "Any price for you to follow your dream").

Good for them. Your parents know the value of things. You
will, too. I have worked with too many people whose parents
gave them everything they wanted.

If I'm looking to get a serious editing program should I go with remaining copy of final cut studio? Or get fcpx? These reviews are making me think about what to do....or should I go with something other then final cut?

Ever since Apple started dragging its feet with developing or announcing an upgrade to FCP i started switching to Adobe Premiere. As I switched something in the back of my mind told me i would go back to FCP or at lease use both equally. When CS5.5 came out I figured i would go back to FCP once the new release came out, after all who makes a .5 upgrade? Now that FCPX is out and I read the reviews (Even if the product has not been out that long) my decision not to buy was easy. To be honest i saw very little I liked about the new FCPX anyway. I will stick with a company who is interested in video production and customer satisfaction. Apple had their chance to “WOW” the world of editing and they failed in a big way. CS5.5 being what it is was still an improvement over CS5 and not an improved Premiere Elements in sheep clothing. I hope that apple will make FCPiMovieX into a professional tool but for the love of God please treat professional customers like professionals and not iPhone /iPad customers. $299 now and soon we will make it better but not tell you when or how we will do it. I am not waiting on surprises anymore I have jobs to do now and no time to learn a new way of doing things with a product that doesn’t work well (or at all) with it’s own family or with others. Adobe did what they did with the .5 upgrade but it was still moving forward and not in reverse. Adobe Premiere welcome to the world of professionals (Although I think you have been here for a while).
I feel better now :grumpy:

I'm having a hard time grasping that FCPX doesn't support tape-based capture, based on the Creative Cow article. Really? Apple's FCPX features page says it supports capture via Firewire.

Guess I'll wait until the dust settles from this.

I took the $300 plunge...

picture.php

Will be trying a few things over the next few days.

What I find particularly shady is the fact that user/buyer comments aren't open to the public on their App store. You can only see them AFTER you purchase which makes them useless.

You can definitely see them without purchasing .

I'm having a hard time grasping that FCPX doesn't support tape-based capture, based on the Creative Cow article. Really? Apple's FCPX features page says it supports capture via Firewire.

Guess I'll wait until the dust settles from this.

You can capture from tape, albeit with a very minimal feature set compared to previous versions. You can no longer print to tape, though.

Every time there is change, people get up in arms.

Apple is notorious for releasing a product that is still in the works and
improving it along the way. Stuns me that so few Apple geeks remember
this. I look forward to giving it a test drive.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

I don't see myself getting the FCPX any time soon, since it took me forever to save for the studio. I think I'll just get better at that and eventually get something new, but as usual, don't have the disposable income to buy any new toys since I just got an iMac. :rolleyes:

-- spinner :cool:
EDIT:...and by the way, I don't really like the idea of it looking like iMovie. Seems like a step backwards to me....

Last edited:
Good for them. Your parents know the value of things. You
will, too. I have worked with too many people whose parents
gave them everything they wanted.

Oh, I know. I despise those privileged kids, and their parents even more. That's how we get the Rebecca Blacks of the world. And with parents like this, it'll be all the more exciting when I get the fancy equipment, and all the more rewarding when I have a finished product.

Back on the topic of the thread, could I just say that $300 seemed steep to me, but then I look at Avid (which is far too "industry-looking" [read: ugly and unintuitive] for my taste) at upwards of three thousand dollars and suddenly FCP seems like a steal? I reeeeealy want it.

Back