• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro X now available

Just downloaded all three.

No time to play for a week or so because of work. Even my current editing gig
will have to be done on my current version. Giddy to try it out!

Anxious to download this. Perfect timing too since I'm hoping to start production on my next short in August. Just hope the audio editing isn't completely neutered compared to Soundtrack Pro.

Man, the comments on the app store are evenly split between 5 stars and 1 star. It seems people are either furious or ecstatic.

I've no idea how people can give an accurate rating to a piece of software that complex when it's been available for less than 12 hours, but there you go.

There's a lot that looks appealing to me, but also several glaring omissions - some features which I regularly use, others which I suspect aren't that important to people who don't make a living from editing.

Main things that worry me:
  • No support for OMF (?!?!)
  • No support for EDL or XML
  • Very limited tape capture tools
  • No multicam tools, which makes it a no go for any live events work

I don't expect to be editing a feature on it, but it looks like a great tool for quick turnaround stuff and lower-paying jobs where I can't spend hours to finesse each clip. The "auto" stuff is great for that.

Main things that worry me:
  • No support for OMF (?!?!)
  • No support for EDL or XML
  • Very limited tape capture tools
  • No multicam tools, which makes it a no go for any live events work

Say HELLO to Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, now about to be taken seriously because Apple dropped a big ball with Final Cut...

Back