• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro X now available

I know I was just saying that to rise some attention. If it was on PC I would think about it but since it is not then I an't buying it. I think Final Cut is good from what people have said about it. I have heard about color and compressor. It sounds like a powerful program but for me it is too expensive to buy a new computer and a more expensive Mac right now. Then I would still need to buy FC and Protools or logic. I like the look and the sound of the imac flat screen computers they have great speakers too.

Last edited:
When are they going to make it for the PC because Macs cost too much.

Lol? Never?

Cause apple's sales model is a tightly integrated one. The software depends on the sales of the hardware, the sales of the hardware depends on the sales of the software, the softwares are made specifically to run on the few hardware and the hardware and designed to be optimized to run the software. In short, they are control freaks. ( Not that i have a problem with that if they make awesome products)

Which means the moment they make something so core to their ecosystem such as FCX, they are going to go bankrupt. (It also means more trouble and even worse software, since FCX for mac hasn't even exactly been finished yet)

I did not know that. I guess final cut pro X is like Sony Vegas Movie Studio or something like that. Maybe a cheaper version of the pro software. Sony Vegas has many price points maybe FCP will still have a pro version too.

FCPX was announced as the "one size it's all version, make the pro available for everyone" and they say $300 is cheap enough to eliminate Express and student/non-profit pricing.

Not sure what all is going on with the loss of features and what not, but I'm really happy now that my outdated video card saved me $300 haha. Surely it will all work out, but with all this hoopla I think the $300 is better spent ona CS5 - CS5.5 upgrade and snag me the new warp stabilizer and script/audio analyzing and organizing (inside premiere) tools.

FCPX was announced as the "one size it's all version, make the pro available for everyone" and they say $300 is cheap enough to eliminate Express and student/non-profit pricing.

Not sure what all is going on with the loss of features and what not, but I'm really happy now that my outdated video card saved me $300 haha. Surely it will all work out, but with all this hoopla I think the $300 is better spent ona CS5 - CS5.5 upgrade and snag me the new warp stabilizer and script/audio analyzing and organizing (inside premiere) tools.

Audition is worth the $300 alone. Freaking outstanding.

I never bought FCP Studio and Final Cut Express is a joke, so I can justify the $300 for FCPX and $50 for Compressor. I'm not psyched with the UI since I've spent the last 7 years editing with Premiere Pro (love it) and can get around that in my sleep, but I'll be tinkering with FCPX and see what's what. Maybe it will prove useful. Not getting rid of my PC with Premiere just yet. I'm only on CS3.

Just need to hunker down and embrace the learning curve for now.

I never bought FCP Studio and Final Cut Express is a joke, so I can justify the $300 for FCPX and $50 for Compressor. I'm not psyched with the UI since I've spent the last 7 years editing with Premiere Pro (love it) and can get around that in my sleep, but I'll be tinkering with FCPX and see what's what. Maybe it will prove useful. Not getting rid of my PC with Premiere just yet. I'm only on CS3.

Just need to hunker down and embrace the learning curve for now.

Oh, Lordy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzLP0FJ82I

What I would give to be a fly on the wall at Apple right now…

Whatever you think of the new software and what it may become, there's no question that Apple handled this launch badly.

That is brutal, chilipie. Somebody at Apple is going to lose their job over this reaction, if not an entire department. The interface isn't a huge deal, it's what is left out that seems to be the established gripe.

I was reading today that the newly released Avid Studio offers more and comes with some decent industry plug-ins - for $130.00 less, including built-in compression and color tools, Magic Bullet Looks, and Trapcode Particular. I almost forgot Boris titling.

Now I'm not sure who Apple was marketing to at the consumer level. It's already covered and cheaper.

I'm messing around with it. The Magnetic Timeline -- excuse me, STORYline -- is kinda like a game of Tetris, you make cuts, clips fall down into place, and clips migrate to different "tracks"... not a fan. Why did Apple think we all needed to throw out the concept of tracks and make it one blobby free-for-all. I'm oversimplifying it, sure, but there is something to be said for the way things were (they worked!) and the wheel (not the Color Wheel of course) Apple tried to reinvent with FCPX.

I bought it, I'll tinker with it for a few things, but since I've been primarily a Premiere Pro editor since its inception, I will most likely get the latest/greatest CS5.5 down the road since, from what I've read online, a lot of companies will be migrating to the Adobe suite. Knee-jerk reaction or writing on the wall?

FCPX has crashed on me several times (be sure to install the updates!) so I'm not too psyched about that. Maybe the bugs will get worked out, but the bigger question/concern is -- will FCPX remain the choice for industry pros? It's looking like FCP had its day...

Really, the only reason I was so gung ho for FCPX was b/c most if not all of the freelance gigs in the L.A. area required Final Cut Pro editing. If I mentioned I edited on Premiere, I swear they looked at me like I had dunce cap on. "Oh, then you're not a real editor." Oh... really?

I'm still figuring that out myself, but I think there's a way to click through different Storylines within the same Project. Not sure. Anyone else?

It's a wonky timeline and I can't say I'm a fan -- yet. Maybe that will change.

will FCPX remain the choice for industry pros? It's looking like FCP had its day...

I think it will take at least 1 year to get Final Cut back on track. They did a page 1 re-write of the software, which means adapting all the old features to the new 64 bit language and interface will take time or they'll have to start over AGAIN. Either way, I estimate 1 year before they get back on track.

In the meantime, my prediction is that Adobe Premiere will get taken seriously, but only until Final Cut comes back, then they will maintain only a partial foothold in the world of film and television editing on the high end.

And that is sad because Adobe Premiere Pro has always been a great editing package, with it's ultimate downfall being a lack of professional audio editing tools that are compatible with non-Adobe audio editing (like ProTools, etc.). That seems to be fixed in 5.0/5.5 because of OMF support and EDL outputs.

playing around with the 95 Driveways music video. screen grab here:

picture.php

don't have my sea legs on just yet. what I'm struggling with most is trying to arrange what I have in my mind neatly onto the timeline. Sure, it's 64-bit, but my 2007 MacBook Pro is showing its age.

there is a nice Synchronize Clips feature to pair up video with audio, which seems to work pretty well.

This just in from Red Giant:

In terms of development, you’ll be seeing Magic Bullet products available on Final Cut Pro X very soon. In fact, with the SDK in hand, we’ve already begun the engineering effort for what will be free Final Cut Pro X updates for current users.

As FCP X continues to change and grow, you can count on this: Red Giant will be ready for FCP X when FCP X is ready for you.

That's a back-handed bitch slap wrapped in a Hallmark.

Back