• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro X now available

Interesting video.

I guess Apple misspelled their new app: listening to all the comments eX-FCP seems more appropriate than FCPX ;)

Btw, the GRL-edit (? around 6 minutes) has been possible in Premiere for years.
And with 1 button (and shift) you can do the magnetic-timeline-trick in Premiere since version 6.5 (that's before CS1)... At that time you had to press 'm' to do so... maybe m stood for magnetic?

Just placed the order for Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium at 50% off. :D Insanely good deal for all that's included. Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, etc. etc.... Oh hell yeah.

Just placed the order for Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium at 50% off. :D Insanely good deal for all that's included. Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, etc. etc.... Oh hell yeah.

You'll be very pleased and a bit overwhelmed for a while. There is just SO much to take in. Audition ended up being the surprise I wasn't expecting. Outstanding.

If you end up wanting/needing a Blu-ray drive, I can vouch for the Pioneer BDR-205. It works.

Thanks duder. Looking forward to trying Warp Stabilization on some of the Wickerman footage since we were using the poor man's dolly. Actually, we had no dolly. We just used our poor man's arms. ;)

Thanks duder. Looking forward to trying Warp Stabilization on some of the Wickerman footage since we were using the poor man's dolly. Actually, we had no dolly. We just used our poor man's arms. ;)

I'm using it right now waiting for render. Sometimes you have to screw with it, but it's a powerful tool. I'll send you a linky to the scene in a while.

Apple to Allow Additional FCP 7 Enterprise Licenses and More on FCP X

1. FCP XML in/out is coming via 3rd party soon…no FCP 6/7 support project support coming ever it seems…
2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…
3. FCPX EDL import/export coming soon…
4. FCPX AJA plugins coming soon for tape capture and layback…capture straight into FCPX [events].
5. XSAN support for FCPX coming in the next few weeks…
6. FCPX Broadcast video output via #Blackmagic & @AJAVideo coming soon…
7. Additional codec support for FCPX via 3rd Parties coming soon…
8. Customizable sequence TC in FCPX for master exports coming soon…
9. Some FCPX updates will be free some will cost…

Things are looking up, but with no planned ability to open old projects and no definite dates for these other features being added I can't see it dissuading many people from moving to other platforms.

Too late for what? Things are much different in the NLE world, especially on the mac, than they were when FCP was first released. There are several good options and it's fairly trivial and relatively inexpensive to run more than one NLE on a system and/or switch at will as projects dictate. I think apple knows that many people who are considering switching now will be back if/when FCPX gets the features to meet their needs - especially if it has compelling features which differentiate it from the competition. I think they're betting that it's worth taking a hit now to lay the foundation for long term competition - and I'd bet they're not too concerned with a "massive and swift" migration of the relatively small (and dwindling) world of high-end editors because they're looking ahead to a near future with a massive market of professional editors who's needs and workflows aren't based on the 20th century broadcast industry.

Too late for what? Things are much different in the NLE world, especially on the mac, than they were when FCP was first released. There are several good options and it's fairly trivial and relatively inexpensive to run more than one NLE on a system and/or switch at will as projects dictate. I think apple knows that many people who are considering switching now will be back if/when FCPX gets the features to meet their needs - especially if it has compelling features which differentiate it from the competition. I think they're betting that it's worth taking a hit now to lay the foundation for long term competition - and I'd bet they're not too concerned with a "massive and swift" migration of the relatively small (and dwindling) world of high-end editors because they're looking ahead to a near future with a massive market of professional editors who's needs and workflows aren't based on the 20th century broadcast industry.

I respectfully disagree. In any business model it is unwise to give up market share in the hope that customers will return once you've hit your stride. If you think it's just the high-end editors that are leaving, we haven't been reading the same sources. The foundation for long term competition is laid as you go, there are no "time outs" in life, in business, or personally. Apple laid an egg with this release.

That said, I own Final Cut Studio, FCPX, and CS5.5. I can't help but wonder how many more years Apple will need to catch up. I'm hoping I am wrong about that.

I'd bet they're not too concerned with a "massive and swift" migration of the relatively small (and dwindling) world of high-end editors because they're looking ahead to a near future with a massive market of professional editors who's needs and workflows aren't based on the 20th century broadcast industry.

I guess from the consumer point of view, you're right. APPLE is only interested in making money, but what they don't seem to understand is that one of the best marketing aspect of FINAL CUT PRO is that it was (past tense use of the verb) what the professionals use(d). Removing the angle that "this is the same software used to edit ______________" and the interest most people have in using the NLE will drop.

Just ask AVID what happens when they don't appease the changing market (they lost out over 50% of the professional editing market to Final Cut Pro). They've never recovered from the mass migration of professional/prosumer/consumer market to Final Cut Pro.

The needs of professional editors, of which I am one as my sole income, mean being able to have many of the functions now removed from Final Cut. Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 just added some of the key features that prevented it from ever cracking the high end post production market in terms of EDL, OMF, maintaining audio timecodes, etc.

I don't think APPLE cares. They want money and don't realize they may make more in the short term, but will lose more money over time as the prosumers and consumers follow the professionals lead when it comes to gear and software.

I don't think APPLE cares. They want money and don't realize they may make more in the short term, but will lose more money over time as the prosumers and consumers follow the professionals lead when it comes to gear and software.

Question for you Sonny or anyone;
Do you think iApple is kissing computers goodbye? Without Pro software and a more stable windows 7 I am finding it hard not to make my next computer purchase a PC. More power less money and handles CS5.5 like a champ. Without Pro software why buy a MAC? Apple already hates Adobe and the other way around as well. Say Adobe does another "skip this version for MAC deal. If so I will have to start my switch to Windows altogether and I hate doing Windows. Man Apple really is screwing things up!:weird:

It's too soon to say "drop Apple" all the way. Wait at least 6 months to upgrade and see if Incal Cut pro X fixes things or if it's time to go all Adobe.

That's my advice to the Mac lovers out there.

Man, just think of all the post production houses, big and small, that have invested tens of thousands of dollars at Apple for their livelihood and now might have to go to PC and Adobe. If the high end post production and graphic design leave Apple, they'll only have the iPad and iPhone...

I can't help but wonder how many more years Apple will need to catch up. I'm hoping I am wrong about that.

That's the thing - I don't think apple has any interest in catching up with anyone. They define markets and let the rest of the world try to catch up, generally with minimal success. Their track record in this respect makes me feel that when apple makes seemingly odd and disruptive moves in a space it means they're seeing something long term that most of the current players in that space don't see, or don't want to see. Time and again those current players scoff at apple's moves only to find out down the line that they were right - which to me means that if your business depends on the market not changing you need to take notice when apple's actions indicate that's what's happening.

I guess from the consumer point of view, you're right. APPLE is only interested in making money,

Apple, Adobe, Avid, Sony, etc - these are all big corporations. They are all interested primarily in making money.

The needs of professional editors, of which I am one as my sole income, mean being able to have many of the functions now removed from Final Cut. Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 just added some of the key features that prevented it from ever cracking the high end post production market in terms of EDL, OMF, maintaining audio timecodes, etc.

Those are the needs of some professional editors, not all. Maybe not most, anymore. That's what I think apple sees - the bulk of the professional editing market is significantly different than it was five or ten years ago. It's still changing too, and I think the high-end post production market is only going to shrink from here on out as this larger mid-range professional market continues to grow.

I just find this hard to believe for several reasons. First off, apple has more money than anyone right now. It's literally coming in faster than they can spend it - even their shareholders are shouting at them to spend it. Whatever they do with FCP has little or no direct bearing on their bottom line - it's simply not a factor. If all they cared about was making more money they'd make another iPhone model, or a smaller ipad, or they'd bring the iphone to sprint, etc. Any one of those things would probably dwarf the total revenues of FCP for the past decade. Whatever it is they're doing with it now is not primarily about making money, at least not in the short term.

As for consumers following the lead of pros? If the last decade is any indication it's the opposite that's true - you mentioned Avid's loss to FCP earlier, that's probably the best example of the pro market following trends in the consumer market. Avid didn't lose the prosumer/consumer market to FCP - it essentially didn't exist in any significant size until the combination of FCP and firewire/DV created it... and then Avid started losing the pro market to FCP. Now we've got the DSLR craze and pros shooting with the same camera as uncle bob, big name actors doing web videos and podcasts, etc. It's not a consumer market anymore, it's the creator market...

The phone I (and ten million other people) carry in my pocket has a processor that runs 3x the clock speed of my first FCP system. It has 5x the memory, 5x the storage, and cost less than a 1/3 ( 1/10th counting carrier subsidies). It shoots better video than my first DV camera. It can do effects in real time that literally took my first mac 3 days to render in AE. It runs all day on a battery charge and can distribute video to the entire world in minutes from just about anywhere, even broadcast it live. FCP & all the legacy NLEs were created for a world where this was literally beyond science fiction - and the next generation of professional film/video makers will have been using tools like this for a decade by the time they finish high school. Someone has to build the tools for this next generation of creators, and I think right now only Apple is in the position to do so - and I'm pretty sure that's what they're starting with FCPX.

Last edited:
Back