• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro X now available

*big sigh... of relief*

OK, FCPX scored a brownie point with me. Footage I shot with the HV20 in 24p mode can be edited in a 23.98 sequence/timeline/storyline/whateverline without any cadence or need for telecine pulldown removal. So the workaround I was dreading to go through with Compressor, which I bought, isn't necessary for this application. This put a smile on my face. Now I can make the most of the HV20 and see what I can put together w/ FCPX.

David Pogue in the NY Times tries to dispel some fears about FCPX -- though I'm still not convinced:

http://tinyurl.com/6d2tndb

…and Richard Harrington weighs in on Pogue's article.

There's no doubt in my mind now - I'm buying Premiere and going to start to get to grips with it as I wrap up the feature I cut in FCP.

Something I spotted yesterday that I thought bares repeating here - the Final Cut Studio installer is a PPC application, and PPC will cease to work completely on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). Given that Apple have already redirected links to FCS updates on their website to the new FCPX page, it looks like you'll be able to run FCS on Lion, but not reinstall it.

There are just so many things wrong with this release… it may regain features and Apple may become more open with third-party plugin and hardware developers, but the bait and switch they pulled and total shafting of their traditional user base makes it seem unlikely that Apple have any aims of regaining traction in the broadcast and film world.

David Pogue in the NY Times tries to dispel some fears about FCPX -- though I'm still not convinced:

http://tinyurl.com/6d2tndb

I wrote my review from the perspective of an advanced amateur; I’m not a professional editor. I made four movies with Final Cut Pro X, including helping my son with a 20-minute final eighth-grade project. I found FCP X infinitely more powerful than iMovie, yet infinitely less intimidating than the old Final Cut.

Kind of negates most of his arguments there... He's NOT a professional editor and can't relate to why they are upset... maybe because they are editing projects slightly more complex than his son's 8th grade project.

OK, I confess, I bought it yesterday. Played with it most of the night and some this afternoon. Tried three micro projects, 1. from my new D7000, 2. something from an old project that had audio problems and auto-synced it, 3. some 16mm transfer and synced manually.

First impression is it's not bad for a .0 release, no crashes, yet. IMO it's worth 299.00 plus tax. It is very different than my fcp6. I never used iMovie so I don't have that problem. It is very fast and background rendering is amazing. The audio repairs (project 2) I did with fcpx sounded better than what I did on fcp6+STP and auto-sync worked as advertised.

fcp6 is buggy running on 10.6. My old Compressor doesn't work right on 10.6 either so I bought it too.

There is a lot of things hidden, under-the-hood. Gonna take some time to discover all the features and how to use them.

And it’s not just the media-management architecture that’s flawed. One of the new features Apple’s touting is what they’re calling the “Magnetic Timeline,” which they describe as an improvement over “traditional, track-based timelines.” Well Apple, love you guys, but we use traditional, track-based timelines for a reason. Ever had a project so organizationally complex you needed twenty tracks of video just to keep it straight? I have. So’s every editor who’s ever done even a reasonable-sized project. And it’s not just organizational convenience, either. Those “traditional tracks” Apple thinks are such dinosaurs map directly onto physical tracks. We need to be able to put music on tracks one and two, VO on three and foley and effects on four through eight. We require the ability to assign different tracks to different output channels, so the tape master that goes to the network meets their delivery specs.

The lack of tracks on the timeline isn’t an omission. It’s another choice. It’s another thing Apple had to sit down, think through, and decide to do. And it’s another way in which Apple’s created a product that’s literally unusable for commercial post.

This isn’t just a bunch of entitled, stubborn editors whining to each other. Well, I mean, it is, and I’m one of them. But aside from that, there’s also some really serious stuff going on. It’s not “I don’t like it,” or “I don’t prefer it” or even “I choose not to make the change because it’s too burdensome for too little benefit.” It’s “Because of the choices you guys made, we literally can’t use your product any more.”
Link

At a certain point, everyone interested has to sift through the bashing and decide what is a legitimate gripe. This one appears to be one if you're in that business.

Curioser and curioser.

Apple have now posted (but not publicised) an FAQ for Final Cut Pro X, addressing a lot of issues they had yet to comment on officially.

It looks like support for XML, EDL and OMF will be coming, but unlike multicam and proper audio tracks it will be third-party developers rather than Apple that make them usable.

While hopeful, with no timescale set out and the possibility of Final Cut Studio not working properly in Lion, I'm not sure how much this is going to do to deter people from moving to other platforms.

Curioser and curioser.

Apple have now posted (but not publicised) an FAQ for Final Cut Pro X, addressing a lot of issues they had yet to comment on officially.

It looks like support for XML, EDL and OMF will be coming, but unlike multicam and proper audio tracks it will be third-party developers rather than Apple that make them usable.

While hopeful, with no timescale set out and the possibility of Final Cut Studio not working properly in Lion, I'm not sure how much this is going to do to deter people from moving to other platforms.

Good morning from the east coast of the United States, chilipie.

I'm sticking with CS5.5, FCPX, and Snow Kitty because it all works. Philip Bloom declared he is done with Apple and moving on to Adobe CS5.5. That's enough for me.

Philip Bloom declared he is done with Apple and moving on to Adobe CS5.5. That's enough for me.

No kidding?! Wow. That's big. I can't say I'm having a grand ol' time with FCPX. It really doesn't feel like a pro program... plus it keeps crashing on me and freezing up. Grrr...

Might have to stick it out for the next few months then upgrade from CS3 to CS5.5

Any news about CS6?

For Jeff, this didn't paste very well, but you get the drift:

PhilipBloom.co.uk
This is how you upgrade from FCP7. Get @adobe premiere CS5.5 and do this. Worked for me. Easy transition http://yfrog.com/kgy7rp

22 hours ago via Selective Tweets · Like · .

22 people like this..

Steve P Philip; are you saying you prefer premier 5.5 to FCP7/X?
22 hours ago · Like.

Mark Lorenz What's your take on iMove Pro, I mean FCP X?
22 hours ago · Like.

Eric Wynne I think what he's saying is he's peeved Apple didn't upgrade Final Cut Pro 7. They've pushed out an iMovie and called it "Pro".

Some of us have got tired of waiting for a real upgrade to Final Cut Pro and are switching because many features of Adobe Premier Pro are what should be in the new Final Cut Pro.
22 hours ago · Like.

PhilipBloom.co.uk yep
22 hours ago · Like · 3 people

Just received a confirmation email from Apple that they will be reversing charges for FCPX. I didn't raise a stink about it, simply told them it was crashing, locking up, stalling, etc. and to review my error reports that are automatically sent to them. I'll be taking the $300 and putting it toward a Premiere upgrade from CS3. Fingers crossed. Wish I had the money for the full Adobe suite.

Perhaps down the road I'll give FCPX another try when it's less buggy and has a little more meat to it. Not sure. Hey, I tried.

I finally tried it out yesterday.

It's a terrible program for pros - as everyone is saying. I should have
known - I never buy an Apple product until version 2 (sometimes v.3)
because they do this over and over.

The refund was quick.

I spent a whole three days with FCPX.

I have requested a refund and am now the proud owner of the Adobe Premium Production Suite. I find this funny since I purchased my very first ever Macintosh just so I could run FCP just so I could get away from Premiere (which only had A-Roll/B-Roll tracks at the time).

Back