CovidTalk

im struggling pretty hard the last two weeks.
being isolated at home has been a very sad place for me for all of my 30s and in 2020 i was combating that mostly by going out to open mic comedy a few times a week. thats not an option anymore.

so for the first month of this shutdown i was just starving myself and playing video games all day, i was perfectly content with being distracted to pass the time while losing weight. but i hurt my back a couple years ago and sitting is painful for me. sitting all day is especially taxing. finally got to the point where I can't do that anymore, my shoulder blade just hurts too much now so i haven't been playing any games for about four days and im just laying on the ground most of the time. with all this boredom and emptiness, starving myself isnt an option anymore so now my life consists of being totally stir crazy fighting through each minute at a time. this morning i looked up audible and i think im going to get my free trial of that.

sitting up to watch tv is hard but i can easily lay on my back and listen to a book or two.
you'd think i could be more productive and try to write something but its really depressing just being at home staring at the walls at the time. sometimes i think maybe ive accomplished all that im going to in life, which isnt much

Last edited:
I've dealt with social isolation for a long time. I know what this feels like, well before all of this lockdown stuff has happened, since I am a socially awkward person and rarely make friends/go out.

Seeing all these other people struggle mentally is kinda enlightening, because now I realize it wasn't really me... Just the isolation I imposed on myself as a person.

This has been a little bit of a wake-up call for me to try harder and get out more. Once a vaccine is finalized, and we can take care of each other, I'm really looking forward to changing my ways and becoming more outgoing.

I don't think this helps anyone really, but maybe those who used to be social can realize how those that aren't good socially feel now? It's two sides of the human condition playing out in real time.

Hey @sfoster
Here's an open mic you can sign up for:
They had a first one and it looks like it was successful and they do it every Wednesday.

And here's two channels on Twitch that do oepn mics:

And here's one happening tonight:

Thanks. for me it was more about sitting in back of the crowd and talking to other comics at a bar for a few hours

Yeah but you can't sink into depression so just get up and do one! I order you! :)

Or watch and talk live with the people.

the closest thing i have to getting out of the house right now is VR.
i've done a few outings like that but it's been really lame every time... maybe just bad luck with the batch of people im running into.

ive been in pretty serious depression for many years now, I invested everything and my hopes into a van i was gonna move into and drive to california and now im just stuck here laying on the ground. no way to slice that that doesnt just straight up suck but i do need to find a more enjoyable or productive way to get through the days

the closest thing i have to getting out of the house right now is VR.
i've done a few outings like that but it's been really lame every time... maybe just bad luck with the batch of people im running into.

ive been in pretty serious depression for many years now, I invested everything and my hopes into a van i was gonna move into and drive to california and now im just stuck here laying on the ground. no way to slice that that doesnt just straight up suck but i do need to find a more enjoyable or productive way to get through the days

I also suffered through a depression episode, every now and again it threatens to come back.

VR is pretty fun. But it gets old fast, especially when you start burning through the short experiences. My impulse in these situations is to start planning the next film. That helps, because I feel like I'm doing something important (even though it may not be to others). Planning is free, writing is free, you can do it first thing in the morning, or in the late hours.

Start writing some shit. Hell, use the VR whiteboard app to make it more interesting. Listen to music while you do it, and boom... Productivity.

I am going full into the next film by learning how to do charcoal art and listening to bowed guitar.

Maybe you just need to spice up your routine?

Why don't you film some stand-up for the Indie of the Month? Perhaps you could turn the lack of an actual audience into a bit, like, speaking for the audience and heckling yourself.

Boy, we're really getting bored

Okay, let's have some quick fun with BORED:

"I'm bored, I'm the chairman of the bored." - Iggy Pop

Bored of directors.

Bored of education.

Bored of ethics.

Bored of health.

My house has turned into a bored-ello.

These days it's just room and bored.

I'm most definitely bored certified.

Okay folks, what can you add???????

I've always been a loner. Even when I'm in a relationship I live alone
and go to movies alone. And I love to travel alone. That's caused
some issues in several relationships...

When I'm at work I find a little out of the way place to pull out a
book and read.

What these 27 days in isolation has shown me is I really do miss
people. Sure, I go off on my own when at work but I also get into
wonderful conversations with co-workers. Sure, I travel alone but
I always chat with folks in airports. Even when I do a four/five day
solo backpacking trip I end up talking with other hikers a lot. It's
interesting to me that while I see myself as anti-social and someone
who prefers to be alone this mandated isolation really hurts.

Who knew?

I'm not depressed, not even close, I'm editing some travel videos I
never have the time to do, I'm shooting and editing short day-to-day
videos of my experiences, I'm writing a new script. I'm calling people
I usually don't call. I have rearranged my apartment three times.

But it's still a mess. Another thing I discovered about myself is I am
just a mussy guy. My excuse has always been time; I'll straighten up
on my day off if I ever get one. Now I have nothing but time and my
bedroom is still an embarrassing mess. Living room is looking okay.

Like Directorik, I've also always been a loner, so the social isolation isn't hurting me emotionally. But I am concerned about the loss of income, and, since I'm not a sedentary person by nature, I'm getting agitated by the inactivity.

Unlike Directorik, though, I'm not a filmmaker at heart, so I don't edit videos. I am a bookworm and writer at heart, so I'm loading up on books.

So I did that parody song last week... my friends on facebook really seemed to like it.
Got like 14 likes which is way more than most of my statuses lol. Even had one person tagged (zero shares tho)

So I decided to write another parody song -- WOW it took me an entire week. Like 2-3 days to write it and another 3 days of practice.
I almost gave up on recording it live but I finally perfected it this morning, I doubt it'll come across how difficult it was to get all the words and timing perfectly.

Covid is still growing here rapidly even though we went to stay at home ordedrs like 3 weeks ago...
FINALLY the county made it the law to wear masks at grocery stores.

I dont understand why the president or our governor or nobody else made it mandatory to wear masks at the grocery store, why did it take a county level executive to make it required? Maybe its a constitutional thing IDK but I'm glad we finally have that. maybe it'll be the step we need here in MD

Back