Why is it indie films looks like video?

I feel every indie film trailor i watch just looks like video. How come hollywood trailors looks so much better. Even high budget(for indie) looks like video and not like a movie No matter how good audio or acting is. I I know its not in my head. I just dont get it?:hmm:

Give some examples. Lighting is a huge part of it, many low budget films simply aren't lit well. Color is also a part of it; DSLRs and other inexpensive cameras simply don't record all the colors more expensive cameras will. Most lowbudget films also lack professional color grading.

Hmmm. Are you comparing YouTube filmmakers to Hollywood trailers seen on TV or something?

I feel every indie film trailor i watch just looks like video. How come hollywood trailors looks so much better. Even high budget(for indie) looks like video and not like a movie
I, too, would like names.

How about five indie film trailers you have seen that look like video.

Wow that's strange. Yes we need names now.

Seriously? I've seen more than a couple that were "indie" that looked like big budget hollywood movies. They weren't exactly low budget, but nowadays, even an amateur with a DSLR and some good equipment can make a good looking movie.

You can color grade in post, if you're camera cannot do the job. I hear a lot of indiefilm makers today prefer to shoot 30 fps, rather than 24, which could also means why some have a more video-ish look but that's just a guess and I have not seen these trailers.

I have to agree with some of the other posters. Film look starts with lighting -- lots of contrast please. Color correction and grading are equally important. There. That's the secret.

These things can be done with a low budget too. Many people just don't put the effort in.

I dont remember the names of the films off the top of my head but im just saying. Im not trying to diss any one if thats what you were thinking. Im just asking the question to see what i can do to make my films better.

I would love to see some if you guys have some sugestions of good ones?

I dont remember the names of the films off the top of my head but im just saying. Im not trying to diss any one if thats what you were thinking. Im just asking the question to see what i can do to make my films better.
No one is thinking you are dissing anything. We are all curious about
the trailers you have seen that you think look poor. It would help us
understand where you're coming from.

You really can't think of even one?

I've never seen a trailer of any kind that looked like video unless that was the intent, no matter the budget (or unless it was a trailer for some guy's YouTube channel.) I'm dying to know which trailers you've seen that looked a certain way so we can get to the bottom of it.

I'm NOT disagreeing with you...but I am requesting you go back and link at least a couple of them so we can discuss this further.

Sometimes the lack of color makes a low budget film seem more realistic though. Same goes with lighting, some movies are just too bright at night that it looks fake. I find a lot of Hollywood movies have too much color and light in nowadays and need to lighten up, no pun intended.

Back