• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Wheatgrinder's March IT Challenge: cinematography

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
* Challenge Description: Shoot a scene at "night" using your preferred method, either Day for Night, actual night shot with available lighting, or a night shot you light but make it look natural.
* Challenge Limitations: No longer than a minute, no dialogue.

Okay, here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkZIq07pP8

Specs:

Canon HFS100 with Raynox .7 wide adapter and a macro adapter for one shot. Lighted with a single 100w bulb. Colored in post day-for-night with Sony Vegas. The dolly is my son's batmobile which was then motion-tracked by my brother with After Effects and Mocha. Couple of wrongly focused shots that I didn't see until I was done.

Wasn't going to make one (cinematography is not my area of expertise at all; I befriend great cinematographers instead) but was inspired by last month's entrants.

Whaddya think?

(see also: the vimeo version)

Wonderful UC! The lighting is spot on. The use of chiaroscura (light against dark, dark against light) is quite effective making the drips stand out even when they would normally be hard to see.

I love the refraction you captured in the droplets in the super tight closeup of the faucet.

nice.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1dpHNOuzQ&feature=relmfu

I only had time to take 1 night shot over the last couple weeks. I've been insanely busy.

Worse than that, I have to wait 5 months for my Epic-x before I can turn in a "proper" contest submission.

I have a have a great suggestion or two for next month though, "sword fight on fake cliff edge", "Jump off building and land" , "anti-gravity", "set extension", "colorist wars", "most detail on screen in a shot", "slow motion ramping", "indoor time lapse", "creative scoring", "standard 2 person over the shoulder tv conversation", "sunshine through the rain", "make a tree interesting with dialogue", "shooting range", "Psychic cat (edit a reel to make your pet appear psychic)", "crystal clear (get a prime lens shot with stunning clarity)", "miniaturize yourself and interact with a small item"

Marty Libowits

Here is my submission:

The first person to reply with the correct 1970's TV reference (two clues are provided, one visual one audio)gets to pick the Challenge area for April!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pok3rcEkRtE

I started this last night at 11:30. Went to bed at 5:00AM, redid the audio and added credits just now.

Gory details..
  • Panasonic GH2 camera
  • Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens
  • One 600w quarts Smith Victor light pointed at a bounce card
  • String of Christmas tree lights
  • Filmed on location in my basement.
  • Edited and CC'd in After Effects CS5 using only native CS5 tools, no Magic Bullet etc.

psstt.. C.P.A. stands for Certified Pain in your A#$!

Last edited:
Absolutely outstanding, Wheat. I was so surprised to learn of the Christmas lights...I totally had this pegged as being shot outside, with city lights twinkling in the very far distance. Looks like how Denver looks at night from the foothills. You shame us all with your speed and prolificness.

I'm gonna take a stab at the referenced show and guess "Vega$," the Las Vegas detective show starring Robert Urich?

Beautiful stuff all around so far :) I've got an older piece I could post (about 6 years old) if y'all would like to see it.

Nope, not Vegas... id forgotten about that one.

Would have been nice to be able to pull focus AND be the star, but alas, it looks "on purpose".. lol

Im just getting to know Synthetic Aperture (CC tool that comes with AE) and it its pretty good, and having scopes and starting to understand them is fun too.

Here is a before CC shot
martylibowits.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/martylibowits.jpg/

Last edited:
Back