What do you prefer?: Youtube vs. Vimeo

I was wondering which site people prefer: YouTube or Vimeo or maybe even CreateSpace?

I know there maybe a couple more. I signed up for a filmmakers account on YouTube, but have yet to make use of it. So, I thought I would look around just to find out what this account would allow me to do and I can't seem to find any info on the YouTube site. Has the filmmaker account been changed to the "creative corner"?

I am going to check it out, but I wanted to know from people who use it regularly, what site they like and why. YouTube seems to be pretty stable.

What do you think?

-- spinner :cool:

I use Vimeo almost exclusively. I use it to share rough cuts and works in progress with my associates, and I can make sure no one else sees these private things by protecting them with passwords. I use it to host finished trailers and short films on my website because I find the quality to be superb. I don't think there are robots converting your uploads, either...I think it's real people. And you can properly render unletterboxed widescreen images (872 x 480, square pixels).

In general, I find YouTube to be the place to go look for videos of monkeys throwing poo while Vimeo is more catered to filmmaking. How's that for snobby?

In general, I find YouTube to be the place to go look for videos of monkeys throwing poo while Vimeo is more catered to filmmaking. How's that for snobby?

:lol:

Right now most of my stuff is on MySpace -- remember MySpace? -- but I can't move it around the way I would like to, so I was going for YouTube.

What do you mean about Vimeo Copyrights?

Wait! Robots convert my uploads? Is that bad???

(danger, Will Robinson, danger! :D

Most people will say Vimeo cause it may have a better player or whatever the reason. But if your looking to get your stuff out there, i suggest Youtube because of key words helps with getting more hits. Vimeo is good but the number 1 search engine is google, and google owns Youtube.

vimeo allows me to password protect my clips for client approval. It also lets me replace the video file without having to change any embedding or linkage I may have promoted. It does keep a watermark on my clips either. I appriciate that. I can put my reel and everything else there and embed it without feeling like a student with a youtube account. If you look at my reel page, that's exactly what I did.

well, unless your content is longer than 10 minutes. Without a special account, you can't do that with youtube. vimeo has no running time restrictions... just file size limits. I use both in many cases but Vimeo is far superior for many reasons.

As a way to show work to potential bosses or for client approval, etc - Vimeo.

For sheer exposure or promotion, stuff directly for the audience - (music vids, trailers, etc) - YouTube.

YMMV. :D

CreateSpace.com is where you sell movies.

YouTube.com and Vimeo are social video sharing sites. YouTube limits uses to a ten minute max video playback. Vimeo, the sky is the limit.

I use both.

Also consider using blip.tv, DailyMotion.com, veoh.com, spike.com, and productionhub.com.

I have problems playing content on Vimeo... what I see is beautiful in comparison to youtube... but the bitrates they use to get that quality are too much for my laptop (same one you have spinner) to handle. They end up running at about 1fps and skipping the other 23-29 frames in that second to keep up with the choppy audio.

You tube no longer supports content > 10 minutes for any account, even the director accounts.

http://www.openfilm.com

Check them out too. Best player on the Net. We're doing some things with them in a couple months too, not sure what yet but they want to work with IT.

I was wondering if I should use both. That sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of having control over who sees it. I spent/wasted 3 months working on my best short doc and the band refused to pay me for my effort. I, in turn, refused to allow them to have it.

I also like the idea of a water mark and the fact that there is no time limit. My docs tend to hover around 20-25 minutes. I have, however, had problems playing things on Vimeo as well. That is part of the reason that I am asking about the the site.

I will take a look at openfilm. I've heard about them but didn't know anyone who used them.

Thanks everybody who gave me suggestions. I intent to take a look at all of them.

yeah, i know abt openfim. its one of my bookmarks. i like what theyre doing.

wat r u guys planning on doing with them? i know u said u dont know but is there a general idea? a film competition?

Vimeo is cleaner and more professional. If I was putting up my reel and material as a filmaker/dp/editor etc, I would use Vimeo.

Actually, its to put the videos on my new website. I would like to be able to use the site as my reel and to update it on what I have worked on or have done. I have a number of things on MySpace, but you can't use the url to move it anywhere so I was considering YouTube because you can always see YouTube in connection with other sites. But as it seems, YouTube has time restrictions. I don't want that if I can avoid it.

Back