What do you prefer?: Youtube vs. Vimeo

You have to stick with time constraints, unless you're doing a 'pro' account on Vimeo or the likes. I'm not sure how YT handles pro accounts, but without a beefed-up account, you're going to have time constraints on either website.

I use FLV format for my website built in Wordpress:

www.michaelreedactor.com/videos

All of these vids are taken from an online source: I use Firefoxes download helper to steal the vids and convert them to FLV.

I have problems playing content on Vimeo... what I see is beautiful in comparison to youtube... but the bitrates they use to get that quality are too much for my laptop (same one you have spinner) to handle. They end up running at about 1fps and skipping the other 23-29 frames in that second to keep up with the choppy audio.
Well, you can always watch videos on Vimeo in SD. I suppose that's kind of missing the point, but eh. Still better than Youtube.

Youtube does have the people, though.

youtube free unlimited HD uploads..
vimeo 500MB max and 1 hd upload a week

I was big vimeo, but then went to the dark side with youtube.. but have yet to upload a real movie.. so I might go back to vimeo, it is better quality..

Last edited:
I did just notice this on vimeo..

5GB/week upload space
1GB/file limit. New! We're testing 2GB file uploads via the desktop uploader (beta).

I have problems playing content on Vimeo... what I see is beautiful in comparison to youtube... but the bitrates they use to get that quality are too much for my laptop (same one you have spinner) to handle. They end up running at about 1fps and skipping the other 23-29 frames in that second to keep up with the choppy audio.

You tube no longer supports content > 10 minutes for any account, even the director accounts.

Actually this just changed to 15 minutes.

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/07/upload-limit-increases-to-15-minutes.html

Ya, YT said they are upping the time to 15, however, a friend of mind just tried to upload something over 10 and under 15, and it didn't work. This was a few days ago...anyone upload recently and put up more than 10 minutes?

My doc is 20min, and I'm still being denied due to length restrictions... but have other stuff up that is > 10Mb from before the restrictions - very frustrating... as the only reason I went with the director account (and the only benefit I can see) was that it allowed for larger pieces to be put up.

Same with me. I got the director account so I could put up a whole doc uncut. Someone needs to start a YouTube-esque site for filmmakers who want to be able to upload an entire art piece.

-- spinner :cool:

Back