What did you watch, tonight?

So what have you watched recently? Tonight I (re)watched "Cast Away" (Starring Tom Hanks. Director - Robert Zemeckis. DP - Don Burgess. Sound design - Randy Thom. Score - Alan Sylvestri. The same team did "Forrest Gump").

The cinematography is wonderful, highlighting his loneliness. With over an hour and a half of Chuck Nolan (Hanks) alone on a desert island the sound has provide a lot of information and there is minimal score (but what there is is very evocative). When Nolan returns the cinematography and sound highlights his return to civilization. The crash sequence is great.

Anyway, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it or it's been a long time.

WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earlier this evening my wife and I watched Pixars "Cars" with our eight year old daughter.

So what have you watched recently?

Mmmm, saw "Alice In Wonderland 3D" the other day. I really liked Burton's crazy world, but the 3D aspect was kinda pointless. It added nothing, imo.

I really don't understand this resurgence of 3D.

Waiting on DVD, I have "Knowing" & "The Secret Life of Bees". :cool:

Tonight, I watched another terribly edited episode of Project Runway.

Tragically, this show may actually be my greatest source of filmic/artistic inspiration.

This is probably why I will never make money making movies.

We've been gorging on Lost for the past month or so. Finally got to season 6, almost caught up.
So glad I'm not watching this week-to-week. It would be infuriating. But I think even though the show has gotten stranger, I think it's gotten better. LOVE the fact that they tricked people into liking (actually, LOVING) a science fiction show!

Movie-wise I think the latest thing I've seen was A Serious Man. It was written so well I think you could use it in a screenwriting class. But it wasn't super entertaining and had no ending. Talk about a movie you can only make after you win an oscar.

Oh and I also just watched this film called The Great Buck Howard that is a really funny and charming based-on-a-real-guy story. It's on Netflix watch instant, I recommend it (colin hanks notwithstanding).

Didn't watch a movie but I did watch my fav show SMALLVILLE. That's right one of the greatest shows of the year. If you were a fan and gave up on the show a years ago you're missing out, the writers are amping up the stories and everything.

Last couple of films I've watched:

"9"-Liked the concept. I think there could have been more depth, and the ending didn't work for me personally.

"Princess and the Frog"-Beautiful Animation, but felt like something out of the 90's. I guess Disney was trying to recapture the "old school" Disney, but I expected something more with the union of Pixar/Disney. I DID like the message that wishing on a star doesn't get you far, you've got to work for it.

"District 9"-Really enjoyed it. I thought the way the DVD menu is (with the Alien/Human signs) it would be told from two sides of the same story. Still, great film that I didn't realise was based on a historical event. The "docu" look worked really well IMO.

The first episode of Season 3 of "Ashes to Ashes" from the BBC. The sequel to "Life on Mars." Excellent, excellent storytelling.

Since I'm preparing to shoot I watched "Inspirational stuff". I watched "Divine Trash" which a doc on John Waters and "Dreamland". I also watched "Shlock" which is a doc on exploitation movies with great interviews with Harry Novak, Sam Arkoff, Roger Corman, Doris Wishman, etc...

Since I'm preparing to shoot I watched "Inspirational stuff". I watched "Divine Trash" which a doc on John Waters and "Dreamland". I also watched "Shlock" which is a doc on exploitation movies with great interviews with Harry Novak, Sam Arkoff, Roger Corman, Doris Wishman, etc...

Yeah John Waters always inspires me to just go out and make something out of nothing.

Just finished Hurt Locker.

Amazing movie.

Goes to show you that you can still make an emotionally impactful film with the same amount of money that Avatar spent on their food services.

Tonight, in honor of Easter, it was "Ben Hur". You just gotta love the chariot race. The sea battle is pretty good as well. No CGI or green screen, just good old fashioned rear screen, which had to be planned out to the "T". The score is really excellent.

Just imagine having to costume, hair/make-up and feed literally thousands of extras....

Most recent movies watched (this week):

Moon - the new one w Sam Rockwell, very interesting!
Barbarella
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1980 version)
Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter

i happened to finally check out Blindside..... good flick although a bit of the hollywood embellishment and i also watched Princess an the Frog with my dog which i loved a welcome back to the og style of animation tonight ill prolly watch either A Little Princess or the Secret of Roan Inish after i watch the Yankees throttle the RedSux

Just watched Quarantine again-I'm going to have to watch it piece by piece, they did some clever editing tricks in there to give it the "one take" look.

Recently:

"Psycho" Hitchcock's version. First time I've sat and watched it all the way through. That is now in my top 10 favorite films.

"The Mummy" Karloff's version. That and "Frankenstein". Gotta love the classics.

Right now it's Stephen Sommer's "Jungle Book". The perfect jungle adventure movie in my opinion. Hard to believe it's a Disney film.

Back