What did you watch, tonight?

Tuesday and last night I indulged in my guilty pleasure "American Idol". It's actually pretty dull this year, but it's an hour where the whole family sits on the couch together. A far as I can tell Chrystal has a lock on it; she is far and away the most talented of the bunch.

Goes to show what I pay attention too-caught a bit of it last night-was more intrigued by the costumes and masks of the background dancers than the performers.:lol:

I dearly would love one of those masks :)

Sunday I watched "How to train your dragon".

Recording voice overs like I do and as much as I do, I have seen first-hand how TV actors and film actors cannot do voice over or cartoon voices.

I was amazed at Gerard Butler's voice acting. He is extremely good.

The sound was amazing,

visuals of flying on the dragon were "avatar-like" like the reviews say.

I give it a 10.

Just watched this total ripoff movie...

Some hack named Kurosawa....."The Hidden Fortress".....what a rip of Lucas' Star Wars! Can you imagine?!!!:mad:

....oh wait ;)

Seriously, I had never watched it before-how many people who saw Star Wars who had seen Hidden Fortress had the reaction "he ripped Kurosawa!" I wonder..... What a wonderful story told simply(but not a simple story)-shows what one can do with great characters and editing, even with minimal dialogue...awesome film! :D

Am currently starting "The Prisoner"(McGoohan!)-was a wonderfully surrealistic, paranoic series...

Lucas actually openly admits that he borrowed it from Kurosawa. and Kurosawa wasn't immune to committing homage either. He borrowed from the westerns and from shakespeare for his sources.

There are no uninfluenced filmmakers ever... even the lumiere bros were influenced by photography, and edison by carnivals, burlesque and stage performances. Truffaut frequently made films from literature and Almodovar borrowed HEAVILY from hitchcock.

Infact, pixar continues the traditions:
Nemo = Pinocchio
Bug's Life = Magnificent 7 = 7 Samurai
Incredibles = Watchmen
Cars = Doc Hollywood

I love the reinterpretations that all of these filmmakers present of loved films... their homage reinvigorates interest in the originals. Like Tom's Diner from Suzanne Vega and that horrible sampled remake of the song, she didn't sue them for remixing her song because she had an album coming out and it helped promote her :)

Moreover, check out IMDB for "the prisoner of zenda" and "robin hood"

and
Aeon Flux = Zardoz
The Island = Logan's Run

I'm sure the list goes on, I find it fascinating and it makes for great film studies papers ;)

Lucas actually openly admits that he borrowed it from Kurosawa. and Kurosawa wasn't immune to committing homage either. He borrowed from the westerns and from shakespeare for his sources.

There are no uninfluenced filmmakers ever... even the lumiere bros were influenced by photography, and edison by carnivals, burlesque and stage performances. Truffaut frequently made films from literature and Almodovar borrowed HEAVILY from hitchcock.

Infact, pixar continues the traditions:
Nemo = Pinocchio
Bug's Life = Magnificent 7 = 7 Samurai
Incredibles = Watchmen
Cars = Doc Hollywood

I love the reinterpretations that all of these filmmakers present of loved films... their homage reinvigorates interest in the originals. Like Tom's Diner from Suzanne Vega and that horrible sampled remake of the song, she didn't sue them for remixing her song because she had an album coming out and it helped promote her :)

Moreover, check out IMDB for "the prisoner of zenda" and "robin hood"

and
Aeon Flux = Zardoz
The Island = Logan's Run

I'm sure the list goes on, I find it fascinating and it makes for great film studies papers ;)

Oh, I know Lucas admitted to it, I was just having fun (the way I found out about it was from Lucas' mentioning of it) :)

And I agree, things always get inspired (as I have been inspired by things), part of Delivery Day's inspiration was taking the idea of a masked character and saying "why does it have to be horror? Why not tell a small story about identity".

Didn't know Nemo was based on Pinnochio-that's my fav Pixar film :). I will admit, however, watching "Hidden Fortress", I was expecting some end to end action about people trying to escape from a fortress with a dark Samurai awaiting them(that's the impression I had before finding out about the story itself): When I watched it, I was pleasantly surprised-I wonderfully simply told story (though not a simple story)that was great in it's layers. Strikes me as one of those movies you can watch multiple times and get something different each time.

I am currently in the "layers" of "The Prisoner" from the 60's-what a piece of brilliant, almost undescribable work...I'm enjoying it immensely.:)

Just finished "GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra" and "Invictus."
Started "Antares."

And one more viewing of "NFL Super Bowl XLIV: New Orleans Saints Champions!" That one never gets old!

Am currently starting "The Prisoner"(McGoohan!)-was a wonderfully surrealistic, paranoic series...

I am currently in the "layers" of "The Prisoner" from the 60's-what a piece of brilliant, almost undescribable work...I'm enjoying it immensely.:)

A real fave! It used to be a regular "hang out" show for us in the 70's along with Monty Python, both of which aired on PBS late evenings on the weekend. If you ever get a chance watch all of the extras on the DVDs. Some really great stories and tips for indie filmmakers as "The Prisoner" was shot on a shoestring.

A real fave! It used to be a regular "hang out" show for us in the 70's along with Monty Python, both of which aired on PBS late evenings on the weekend. If you ever get a chance watch all of the extras on the DVDs. Some really great stories and tips for indie filmmakers as "The Prisoner" was shot on a shoestring.

I was planning on watching the commentaries anyway, but that's all the more incentive! I REALLY want to know where "The Village" is where they shot it-be a neat place to tour over in England if there's a location. I wouldn't have guessed it was on a budget, say, unlike Dr. Who.....:D(which I love because of that fact)

I watched alot of Monty Python as well-I enjoy watching it now(have to be a certain mood to do it though ;)).

The Lovely Bones

My goodness what a intense scene in there.

That Peter knows how to make movies.

It could have done without the malaysian girl and the Harry Potteresque special effects (even if they meant it to be "surreal" cheese like that).

Sound was a 10. That is a perfect example of how foley alone can set you on edge.

I watched "Time Bandits". Gilliams movies are always light hearted and quirky in a good way. But it wasn't anything impressive really. Something about Gilliams movies makes me want to continue watching but also just stop watching at the same time.

It's only been about two weeks since I've gone on a binge reading about film producing, directing, and filming. It's completely watching a movie for the story vs watching for technique.

Since then I've watched:
Up In The Air
Rebel Without a Cause
Bitter Moon by Roman Polanski

Liked all 3 for their own reasons, but up in the air was the most enjoyable to watch on a brainless level.

Just checked out You Don't Know Jack, the recent HBO film with Al Pacino.

Ammmaaaaazing!

Seriously, what wonderful characters and superbly acted and filmed. It was really long, but it didn't get tiring.

Also, Lost is on tonight!!! Yay!

Al Pacino looks amazing in that.

I'm watching the documentary about making the New World on the dvd special features. Its a favorite of mine and watching the making of it is really wonderful. Now I want to watch the movie but whenever I do its an investment because its all I can think about for days.

I've been keeping up with my guilty pleasure "American Idol", which looks to be the last season. I've also been watching some of my N.Y. Yankees, although not very much as I'm nearing completion of my current audio post project.

I watch "Making of" and DVD commentaries while I do my exercises every day. This week was "Pleasantville"and "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (the original) and last week was "UP".

Watched Community, Bones and Supernatural. I have too many shows on Thus (7) to watch a movie but I have this low budget indie horror called Madness I'm looking forward to. For the short slips I've seen it's going to be super campy.

Heroes is horrible. Season one was the best then it just got progressively worse. There was were real development expect for Slyer. They spend way to much time on 3 maybe 4 chars at most and leave to many lose ends. What they really needed to do was make 2-3 "issue" archs and introduce a few new char each season. And making making it a cheap rip off of X-Men unintentional or not was a big mistake.

Back