What are some good ideas for a space opera.

I just now thought of the idea. But I am going to make a space opera. The only detail I have decided for the movie is the face that it will revolve around a large artifact in space slowly making it's way to a colony.

I did a space Opera type film for my Class final. Got a 97. Super hard, all virtual sets... Worth it in the end, but it has the worst actors ever.

I just now thought of the idea. But I am going to make a space opera. The only detail I have decided for the movie is the face that it will revolve around a large artifact in space slowly making it's way to a colony.

Read "Bio of a Space Tyrant" it will give you what you need

What happened to the Super Hero of the Mississippi Delta idea?

And what's the budget for the space opera?
Feature or short?

Anyways...
Here's a skull popping theme for you: Free Will vs. Greater Good.

Story: Mississippi Delta protag is just discovering his emerging super hero capabilities (it's a post-puberty thing) and has finally overcome his fear of public reaction or the fearful public has just begun to accept his powers - when - all of a sudden he's abducted by the galactic league of super heroes to do the greater good elsewhere in the galaxy. (Maybe he's even getting some super hero action going on!)

Now, he's really needed there and is doing a great deal of good saving entire planets against some truly evil inter-galactic antagonists with the team, but... what he really wants to do is go back to Earth and help out people.

Now the problem is that the galactic league of superheroes (especially his new polymorphic girlfriend) is p!ssed at him. And they're so vindictive they may just "accidentally" allow the space antags obliterate Earth because of his selfishness.

The ethics of free will vs greater good; served at your feet.

Now... whatsat budget, again?

Whoops! I forgot to include that the story above pretty much matches the classic three act structure for maximum marketability.
ScriptStructure.jpg

Last edited:
How about actually reading some serious sci-fi? Asimov, Herbert, Vonnegut, Harrison, Wells, Heinlein, Clarke, Bradbury, McCaffrey, Niven, Card, Sagan - and that's a small sampling of my favorites.

I have completed a short sci fi story, that could be expanded to feature length.
But it does not fit your conditions. It takes place in a contemporaneous setting on earth; nor is the central theme an artifact.

Your idea of an artifact seems similar to the meteorite-hurtling-toward-earth idea. Earthlings must scramble to save the planet. The rate of its approach would inform the main clock.

My story was necessitated by a social perspective that could only have been demonstrated by a non-human sentient being, which necessarily implies sci fi. The core idea dictated the genre, and the plot was a by-product of this.

If you want to see an example of budget sci fi done by a master, I recommend Solaris, by Tarkovsky, the Russian version.

Last edited:
How about actually reading some serious sci-fi? Asimov, Herbert, Vonnegut, Harrison, Wells, Heinlein, Clarke, Bradbury, McCaffrey, Niven, Card, Sagan - and that's a small sampling of my favorites.

Alcove is right, go to the source. As always in filmmaking, never make a copy of a copy.

We're working on a Harry Harrison project right now

I LOVE RINGWORLD! Larry Niven has some pretty intense material, like I would make a TV series based on the Draco Tavern by him. Even though they're all separate stories, that have nothing to do with each other, they feel as one, as he sets them in the same tavern, and as you read them, you get a better idea of the look and feel of the environment.

I have completed a short sci fi story, that could be expanded to feature length.
But it does not fit your conditions. It takes place in a contemporaneous setting on earth; nor is the central theme an artifact.

Your idea of an artifact seems similar to the meteorite-hurtling-toward-earth idea. Earthlings must scramble to save the planet. The rate of its approach would inform the main clock.

My story was necessitated by a social perspective that could only have been demonstrated by a non-human sentient being, which necessarily implies sci fi. The core idea dictated the genre, and the plot was a by-product of this.

If you want to see an example of budget sci fi done by a master, I recommend Solaris, by Tarkovsky, the Russian version.

What social perspective could only be demonstrated by non-human sentient beings?

No one? C'mon folks, help a guy out.

:) Well according to L. Ron Hubbard they are actual alien civilizations and alien interventions in past lives.

More fitting here: It is also a subgenre of speculative fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space. "Wiki"

Space Opera was also a really cool RPG that we used to play, when giving D&D a breather. :cool:

Blake's 7
Space: 1999
Battlestar Galactica

An ongoing series of stories, following a larger arc, composed of events that could have happened in (or been relevant) to any particular age or period... but just happens to be in space. Well, that's my crappy definition, anyway.

Star Wars was a space opera, just like westerns are/were called horse operas.

Right. As I understand it, the term "space opera" has nothing to do with the musical theatrical opera, but is more a comparison to daytime TV soap opera.

What?! The evil lord whom I have been trying to defeat is actually my father? NOOOOOOOOO!!!

What?! That hot chick that I used to want to bone is actually my sister? NOOOOOOOOO!!!

A group of scientists are located on a moon of Jupiter. There is a comet heading towards Jupiter and will sling shot around Jupiter and will pick up speed from 30Km/s to 50km/s and then head on a collision course with Earth! The scientists on Jupiter calculate that they can create a scalar electromagnetic device that taps the electromagnetic field around Jupiter and within the plasma ring around Jupiter to generate sufficient power to power a weapon to shot the comet and vaporize it!

Now the cool thing that happens is that the movie has a 'time jump' in the scenes due to a effect of the scaler device. What happens is the scientists create the scaler device and it successfully harness the energy of Jupiter, however the scaler device shots the energy towards the target, However a weird effect occurs and the energy is transmitted backwards in time! The effect being that the scientists view is that the comet is shooting at them! This results in the comet apparently shooting a ray at the Jupiter base and destroying the base and blowing the moon apart! This obviously makes earth believe that the comet is not a comet and is in fact a weapon or alien space ship.

Back