Super Summer Contest Stage One!

dcb1812_450.jpeg

I think the stories should be judged on their own merit. I'ts somewhat unfair to change the win criteria 2 weeks after the entries are final.

I think there was some misunderstanding about what the entries were supposed to be, perhaps due to a lack of example format.

We have people doing rough concept sketches, and others trying to write a novella, and it's a competition between apples and oranges.

I think some stories lack finality or polish because the authors started working on them 3 hours before the deadline, not realizing that it was such a firm deadline, because most forum contests give a bit of leeway. Authors may have even submitted the other half of the story, 8 hours after the deadline, and never had it published here. Who knows, certainly not me.;)

I think the stories should be judged on their own merit. I'ts somewhat unfair to change the win criteria 2 weeks after the entries are final.

I think there was some misunderstanding about what the entries were supposed to be, perhaps due to a lack of example format.

We have people doing rough concept sketches, and others trying to write a novella, and it's a competition between apples and oranges.

I think some stories lack finality or polish because the authors started working on them 3 hours before the deadline, not realizing that it was such a firm deadline, because most forum contests give a bit of leeway. Authors may have even submitted the other half of the story, 8 hours after the deadline, and never had it published here. Who knows, certainly not me.;)

The win criteria has never changed. People on the other thread asked whether they could submit concepts, I said yes. The whole contest (at least for Stage One) has been about who has the best, most interesting and original concept, regardless of the format.

It was intended to be a strict deadline but *hypothetically* I only received the other half of your story after I'd posted the rest of the stories and I thought, in the interest of fairness and because I know that some people rushed to make the deadline, I wouldn't go back and change it.

If someone selects your *hypothetical* story for Stage 2 I will send them the *hypothetical* other half so that they can do a proper and full adaptation. I do also appreciate that *hypothetically* people have noted that it seems unfinished. I know how irritating that must be for you but I did try and make it clear on the other thread that if you didn't have time to do something long then you were welcome to just submit short concepts, which a lot of people chose to do.

The win criteria has never changed. People on the other thread asked whether they could submit concepts, I said yes. The whole contest (at least for Stage One) has been about who has the best, most interesting and original concept, regardless of the format.

It was intended to be a strict deadline but *hypothetically* I only received the other half of your story after I'd posted the rest of the stories and I thought, in the interest of fairness and because I know that some people rushed to make the deadline, I wouldn't go back and change it.

If someone selects your *hypothetical* story for Stage 2 I will send them the *hypothetical* other half so that they can do a proper and full adaptation. I do also appreciate that *hypothetically* people have noted that it seems unfinished. I know how irritating that must be for you but I did try and make it clear on the other thread that if you didn't have time to do something long then you were welcome to just submit short concepts, which a lot of people chose to do.

Sorry Nick, I guess that sounded like I was complaining at you, I was actually hoping Ray would quit telling people to only pick low budget stories. (no offense ray, you are cool) I did not hear any such criteria when applying. Whichever mine is is low budget enough, but I think it might get tossed if everyone focused on which ones were the easiest and cheapest.

If you were to include the *hypothetical* second half of the *hypothetical* entry, then some person, possibly me, should rewrite that ending so it's not a 45 minute rush job. Perhaps someone will do that later today or tomorrow.

In terms of the fairness of the hard cutoff, I agree with you and feel you did the fair thing. Maybe you misunderstood my thoughts.

You're right I should reiterate that part of the fun between Stage One and Two is taking the raw concept and turning it into a filmable screenplay.

For Stage Two you should be thinking about how this will film, it is a script after all, but Stage One should be judged purely on the merit of the idea.

I've explained a couple of posts about how 'Gash' might be adapted for Stage Two and that's the sort of thinking that should be applied when writing the screenplays. But please don't feel obligated to include that sort of thinking in your judgement of Stage One.

My problem with most of the stories is that the majority is cliche :(

I have a suggestion... Why don't we extend the deadline for the first stage and hopefully more people will take part and vote. (even people who already sent a story will have the chance to redo their story or send another one... just a thought..)

I was actually hoping Ray would quit telling people to only pick low budget stories. (no offense ray, you are cool) I did not hear any such criteria when applying. Whichever mine is is low budget enough, but I think it might get tossed if everyone focused on which ones were the easiest and cheapest.
No, we're A-OK cool. No offense taken here.

Although we're approaching the same challenge from varying angles that doesn't mean anyone should listen to me any more than anyone else.
My opinion and a buck thirty five will get you a coke outta the machine.

I draw a HUGE distinction between writing for publication in a novel and writing for filming.

I'll not waver though from pointing out that the inverse ratio between production expense and actual product produced is rather polarizing.

It's a short.
Not a feature.
Huge difference.

My problem with most of the stories is that the majority is cliche :(

I have a suggestion... Why don't we extend the deadline for the first stage and hopefully more people will take part and vote. (even people who already sent a story will have the chance to redo their story or send another one... just a thought..)

Have you posted a concept? I don't think they're all that cliche. Its hard to come up with something that doesn't have at least a component of something that's already been done especially in a set time frame. I think these people should be congratulated for even entering the contest. There's about 13 stories with over 21000 members? Thats what needs work not whats being submitted.

Have you posted a concept? I don't think they're all that cliche. Its hard to come up with something that doesn't have at least a component of something that's already been done especially in a set time frame. I think these people should be congratulated for even entering the contest. There's about 13 stories with over 21000 members? Thats what needs work not whats being submitted.

I have posted a concept and It had a couple of number 1 or 2...
I never made a short (apart of the short I wrote and directed in a workshop held by the NATIONAL ACADEMY OF THEATRE & FILM ARTS ( NATFA) )

BUT:

For 15 years now I watch at least 3 films a day (I regularly have full on film marathons until I drop asleep)
I watch all sorts of films from around the world and I know a good movie or a good concept.

The stories/concepts posted so far are weak (probably including mine). It's not easy to create a story that relates to others in unique way.

That's why, I guess, not so many people voted...:(

I know which one is yours. Have for a while now. It's not bad, but more of a scene than a film. Of course, so is the eventual winner.

Hmm... not sure I agree with them being cliched.

I submitted two.
One is unfilmable.
One is very much a genre flick, so I guess that might come across as cliched.

It would be fun to guess who wrote which! See how well people know IT members (I, of course, know everything! Muhahahah!)

Because you removed it right after Nick posted that you couldn't vote for yourself.:)

:lol:
true
EDIT: Also I don't believe in not voting for ourselves... I'll always vote for myself (of course).
But I Think ABC is a really, really, really good one.... Really :)

Last edited:
I'd really like to know who submitted Insertion and Conception? I'm going out on a limb here, but I've a feeling they're from the same writer!

1) Day of the Topiaries.
2) ABC
3) Deep Blue

I would love to film Day of the Topiaries! If it is drastically changed after the screenwriting process, I would love to be in contact with whoever wrote it!! It is seriously good!

Back