Super Summer Contest Stage One!

So, in the version I wrote, this pair of space aliens are on Earth, gathering information for a future invasion/annihilation. But they don't work all the time. They do get time off from their job, and they often use that time to explore the joys of life on Earth.
I'm pretty sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone just made this exact thing into a Broadway musical.

There is a market for what people are familiar with.

When you spring wacky new sh!t on people they freak out.

People are stupid.
"Waa. Waa. Waa. I'm tired of the same old sh!t!"
Give 'em new sh!t.
"WTH is this sh!t?! I don't understand it. It's too complicated fo my widdle biddy nano-bwain".
Give 'em the old sh!t.
"Waa. Waa. Waa. I'm tired of the same old sh!t!"
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Would you effing pick something?!
Either you want new sh!t or the old sh!t.
It's really simple. It's either or!

I think this is why The Scottish Film is so popular. It looked like 'new' but the story was 'old.'

Weren't there just two friends with benefits movies that just came out? Natalie portman, mila kunis? Cliches are always being redone because as Ray said there's a market for what familiar. I'm jaded though because I read Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Rushdie, changed the way I see story. Nothing's cliche if you change it enough but everything's cliche when you deconstruct it enough.

However I'm glad my story is the least cliche but probably not best quality :lol:

lol. I forgot you're not into musicals. I was referring to this:
http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/

Good luck getting tickets, though. It's the most popular show on Broadway, so it's sold out until 2013 or something. :D

Yeah, I know. I may not be into musicals, but I'm very much into anything Parker and Stone do, especially since this one is getting such rave reviews from everybody. I just didn't know the plot. So, it's about a couple mormons, on missionary, who end up experiencing the joys and foibles of non-mormon life? Hah. That could be fun.

I really want to see that show, (no sarcasm (they should make an "I'm serious" emoticon))

I hear it's great. I was so surprised when SP:BLAUC turned out to be a 3 star movie. Those guys can really write well when they want to.

Even Baseketball was ok, though just a 2 star.

There's about 13 stories with over 21000 members? Thats what needs work not whats being submitted.

1. Gash (I'd love to see someone do a lego version of this...)
2. Stopcock
3. Day of the topiaries

13 stories with 21,000 members? Hell, I have five of my own shorts to shoot - the first of which is in October. In addition, I am behind the camera the last five days of August shooting for someone else!

Getting five shorts written, shot and marketed is a massive task and I'd struggle to have a short of any quality to throw into the mix. However, if anyone wants a hand shooting, provided it does not clash with my other commitments (shooting schedules etc...) then I'm happy to help out.

GET OFF THE BENCH! V-O-T-E!

Eleven more voting days!!!!

Anybody wanna know where voting CURRENTLY stands among our fourteen voters?

Are you sure you wanna know?
Okay, then... Have at it.

CHamburger
1) Topiaries
2) ABC
3) Gash

Dreadylocks

#1 ABC
#2 2nd John Verse 1
#3 Bert's Bubbles

mad_hatter
1) Swann Clean
2) Insertion
3) 2nd John Verse 1

kinglis
1. ABC

wheatgrinder
1) Day of the topiaries
2) Bert's Bubbles
3) Stop cock

Cracker Funk
#1: Day of the Topiaries
#2: Gash
#3: Bert's Bubbles

Flicker Pictures
#1: Day of the Topiaries
Not sure about #2 and #3 yet...

Theodebernacius
1. Pickpocket
2. Mantis
3. Day of the topiaries

Alcove Audio
ABC
Deep Blue
Actors Call Back

JoshL
Gash
ABC
Swann Clean

Tinalera
1.ABC
2.Pickpocket
3. Day of Topiaries

rayw
ACTOR'S CALL BACK
PRODUCTION
ABC

Phil_UK
1) Day of the Topiaries.
2) ABC
3) Deep Blue

gorillaonabike
1. Gash
2. Stopcock
3. Day of the topiaries

The Actors Call Back : 1+3 = 4
Battle: Anthony's Lawn : 0
Elroy's Bread : 0
Mantis : 2
# 3) Gash : 1+2+3+3 = 9
Top Mom : 0
Swann Clean : 3+1 = 4
Stopcock : 1+2 = 3
2nd John Verse 1 : 2+1 = 3
Bert's Bubbles : 1+2+1 = 4
Production : 2
Goth District : 0
Humiliation : 0
Pickpocket : 3+2 = 5
Insertion : 2
Deep Blue : 2+1 = 3
Conception : 0
The Joy : 0
# 1) ABC : 2+3+3+3+2+3+1+2 = 19
# 2) Day of the Topiaries : 3+3+3+3+1+1+3+1 = 18

Last edited:
Common, you're more creative than that :)

Thanks, sort of?

In the version I wrote (aka the only version that will ever be written, apparently), this sort of detail is definitely not the focus of the movie. It's a silly comedy, with space-aliens doing fun/stupid stuff, cracking stupid jokes. Much more of a comedy than a sci-fi. :)

Ok, I'm going to add some more detailed responses, and address some concepts that I'm not voting for, later but, for now, here are my votes:

1.) ABC
2.) 2nd John Verse 1
3.) The Joy

I'll post some feedback asap but suffice it to say that I used internal criteria such as how effective the idea is (both on the page and on screen), how much care and attention had been taken whilst writing and how complete it is, either as a story or a concept.

I hope everyone has voted! Would be great to see if a few more votes coming in, especially from everyone who submitted stories!

:)

Back