Super Summer Contest Stage One!

Yep, get some more votes in!

I have another prize to announce: The winner of each stage will receive a 3-month Premiere membership/extension! Way to up the stakes, Indietalk!

So get voting and get writing for Stage Two! :yes:

Very cool.

And, yes, as klingis pointed out, there's no reason for you not to vote (sure, you know who the submissions are from, but I think everyone trusts you to vote honestly).

:lol: I'm not intentionally not voting, it just slipped my mind! Will do so soon...

Voting doesn't close until the end of the month, so there's no real rush. It'd be nice to see some critiques of favourite stories/concepts but that's up to other people. I'll get mine up soon!

Can't you close it earlier, so other people can start screenwriting? I guess that not many more people vote for this!

Can't you close it earlier, so other people can start screenwriting? I guess that not many more people vote for this!

Nothing to stop you screenwriting now! Just pick which concept you want and PM Nick.

Regardless of when this voting ends, I believe, unless things have changed since the original thread, screenplays are due in a little over a week! Not much time left!

Ok I extended the deadline for the screenwriting section to September 1st!

Come on people! Lots of entries to stage one to choose from, I'm sure you have it in you to write a three or four page screenplay ;)

I'll fearlessly cop to being dense at times, so here goes.

Kinda-sorta what criteria is it we're voting for for the Stage 1 premises?
Read 'em all, took anal retentive notes, summarized for clarity, now what?

What stories am I filtering OUT I guess is what I need asssssistance with.
What's "better": great, but unlikely to be made - or - fair, but practical & easy to shuttle on to Stages 2 and 3?

Confused.com...

Which Round are you talking about here, Nick? Round 1 or Round 2? In the other thread you last wrote the deadline for the 'Screenwriting section' was the end of September. Which is it?

You can probably have my screenplay soon (so none of this really matters too much to me), but if it was the end of September, I intended to hold on to it for a little while.

I need answers!

Confused.com...

Which Round are you talking about here, Nick? Round 1 or Round 2? In the other thread you last wrote the deadline for the 'Screenwriting section' was the end of September. Which is it?

You can probably have my screenplay soon (so none of this really matters too much to me), but if it was the end of September, I intended to hold on to it for a little while.

I need answers!

That was really my bad, sorry.

I changed the date to 1st of September but then posted saying the end of September. Suffice it to say that I was telling the truth when I said 1st of September.

Maybe because the voting criteria is kinda vague.

We voting for Pie-in-the-sky entertaining concepts - or - something that can be hammered into a Phase 2 screenplay to become a Phase 3 short?

I think its a good idea to just vote on whatever appeals to you but keeping in mind someone else will have to produce it so anything that might need cgi, fantastical locations, tings that just aren't practical should be considered.

For voting, I'd say go for the idea that you'd most like to see made into a short. Keep some practicality in mind though.

The story with the giant Dorito... It's do-able, but not the easiest thing for everybody.

As I said before, "GASH" as it stands would be impossible for most people (I'm going out on a limb and guessing that at least 99% of people on this forum dont have access to a desert island). I suggested a re-write by the screewriter, that's not a problem. Nate metioned set extensions, that makes things more practical, but still not easy for everybody.

But whatever, if that's the film you'd like to see made, vote for that one.

On another note, how long are we aiming for the screenplay's to be? I don't want to write anything soooo long that people wont read it, but I need to fit all of my story in!

Short shorts are better.
3 - 5 min = 3 - 5 pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeFTNZq490
Hmm... D@mn. Them ain't hardly shorts at all she's wearing.

3 points to ACTOR'S CALL BACK with some notable editing down to fundamental principles to a poignant story.
2 points to PRODUCTION because it could be re-storied & shot with a great deal of humor.
1 point to ABC because aside from the "cloning" effect, it's simple and there are plenty of people that like crafting these "Lone Gunman" cliches.

DAY OF THE TOPIARIES gets an honorable mention, but it's nowhere near a buttoned up story. It could make for a fair teaser, though.

How will the production be funded?
Pretty much exclusively by those shooting them!
Should I try this stunt, I'm re-writing & shooting for under $20 on direct costs.
This is practice for me.
Although I probably won't be entering this project in any short film competitions I'll try to push the capabilities of my resources as professionally as far as they can go, so I won't be approaching this with a flippant attitude to produce a pisstake entry.

Consider the costs for both of these entries into the Philips Cinema "Unicorn" contest:
Expensive 4:55min short - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59QlMAZc6ow
Not anywhere near as expensive (People's Voice Award, BTW) 3:00min short - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goyTKXTTtiI

Last edited:
Vote for whichever stories capture your attention. Whether that's just a rollicking good tale or something that makes you want to get up and filming.

Take Gash for example. Whatever genius came up with that idea probably didn't expect people to actually film it on a desert island with Miranda Kerr, Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima and Rosie Huntington Whiteley. If I were making that film I'd probably relocate to a forest or general countryside, maybe an abandoned house. And they'd probably just be underpants models rather than Victoria's Secret Angels.

And yes, all productions will be funded with monopoly money and airplane peanuts.

Back