Super Summer Contest Stage One!

OK, OK... I'll throw in 1MIL to get this one off the ground. Any takers? ;)

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think "Day of the Topiaries" might be from flicker;)

seriously though, I think that one could be done pretty cheap, if you had the right locations available. I think all you need is the "Shine" effect in AE for most of the sfx. Getting a mural on a wall might prove tricky. Ladder into hole could be done with a simple set extension.

I won't have time for a stage 3, but if anyone needs SFX help on any of these stories, you can message me.

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think "Day of the Topiaries" might be from flicker;)

Nope. I didn't make the deadline. St. Nick can vouch for me. Not mine.

The story got my visual gears turning and took me somewhere. I'm not saying some of the other entries didn't, it's just that one spoke to me is all. I like kids exploring in the woods finding weird, spooky shit. :weird:

Last edited:
1. Pickpocket
2. Mantis
3. Day of the topiaries

I actually have some misgivings about topiaries. It doesn't feel complete. I'm waiting for the 2nd half. The ending as it is feels like a mid-point (false high). Somebody complete it for phase 2!

Good to see plenty of votes coming in.

I've decided that when I come to tally up the votes at the end of the voting period I'm not going to count any votes where people have voted for themselves.

Because I am supplying the prizes for the competition I do not think it is in the proper nature and spirit of the contest for people to be handing points to themselves (I did say that it's like Eurovision) so, rather than simply asking nicely, I won't count any of these votes.

I will, however, not be tallying the results until the very end of the voting period so feel free to go back and change your votes as often as you like.

This is putting on your producer hats...

I don't think that's necessary at this stage, is it Ray? We're voting for best concept. Somebody is then going to write a screenplay based on that concept. You only need to worry about that when you come to decide which (if any) of the screenplays you intent to shoot for Stage 3.

So, although I did suggest, early in the original thread, no giant robots from Mars, it wouldn't be a problem for somebody to write that (as somebody near enough has -- robots/doritos, they're pretty damn similar). The only concern with that would be that nobody would want to film it. Doesn't matter, so long as the script's good, you're in with a shot at Round 2, right?

Let the screenwriter change it up. 'GASH' is pretty much un-filmable right now (unless any of us have access to a desert island?). If I were to write a script for that, I'd possibly shift it into the woods. Much easier to shoot. Then we can get our producer hats on!

I like Bert Bubbles, and I like the idea of him practicing blowing bubbles in different places- I imagined a montage of increasingly extreme bubble-blowing locations.

10 minutes later, when Trevor reaches the destination, all of the kids have sad looks on their faces and are all staring at Trevor. He asks one of them what's going on, and they reply that Trevor's girlfriend, Jessica, had been brutally raped/murdered committed by who is believed to be a notorious cereal killer who decapitates his victims after he ravages them multiple times. They call him "Mantis".
I like this idea too.

I will, however, not be tallying the results until the very end of the voting period so feel free to go back and change your votes as often as you like.
Excellent.
I was hoping that would be encouraged.

I don't think that's necessary at this stage, is it Ray? We're voting for best concept. Somebody is then going to write a screenplay based on that concept. You only need to worry about that when you come to decide which (if any) of the screenplays you intent to shoot for Stage 3.

Let the screenwriter change it up.
You know... you're 100% right.
IDKWTH I was thinking.

Maybe the bad guy inside me didn't mind totally screwing around with the premises strangers had built their stories around but the nice guy inside didn't want to screw around too much with the screenplay stories you guys would have to fabricate.

Maybe I can mix a little chocolate with my peanut butter and pretty much just take one of the premises provided here and totally screw around with that, too.

Giant robots from Uranus ----> becomes ----> Doritos from a bag.

I just don't know how on Earth I can vote now for a premise principle for a screenplay story I've yet to write.

Seems kinda weird, but I'll loosen up the sphincter and go with it.
When in prison do as the prisoners do. BOHIC!

Additionally, I'll greatly concede that it pretty unfair for me to determine what I think others can or can't produce.
I was thinking more of a product to produce rather than a challenge to push the capabilities of others.
Somewhat disgustingly conservative of me.
I guess I'm not very sporting.
I'll have a cup of kool-aid now, thank you.

Surprised we're not getting more votes here.

Hopefully we'll still see some elements of the original stories in the finished stage 3 projects.

Jedi>tough guy

Lightsaber>Wood Axe

Deathstar>Abandoned Building

Darth Vader>fake looking dragon

You've now downgraded Star Wars to Reign of Fire

Set extension is pretty basic, so I think most of these could be done with no more compromises than in an average episode of Star Trek (TOS)

Look up set extension on Youtube!

Just curious how do we sign up for a stage 2 or will that randomly be assigned to people who have not participated in stage 1? Gracias.

Just curious how do we sign up for a stage 2 or will that randomly be assigned to people who have not participated in stage 1? Gracias.

All you need to do is send me a message saying which story you'd like to adapt and a second choice in case that one is too popular! The earlier you ask, the more likely you are to get your favourite story! :)

Just making sure that people keep their eyes on this.

It'd be really nice if people who didn't write a story could vote and critique as well (I know several of you have already which is great). Don't be afraid to write some recommendations and criticisms because, after all, that's half the incentive for posting your work here :)

I get to vote? Cool!

ABC could be an interesting sound design piece, just narration and sound FX/Foley to accompany the visuals. It would have to be shot that way, of course....

Deep Blue, just because I liked it.

Actors Call Back could be a fun little RomCom.

I still think there should only be ONE story idea that graduates to the next stage.. but its not my game.. so..

You've made your feelings very clear... :lol:

I half agree with you and half disagree, so for the sake of consistency things are going to stay as they are.

Unless you want to donate your Poptent winnings to the prize fund ;) Or just 10k and a passport...

More people vote please! Lets keep this alive and fun!

Yep, get some more votes in!

I have another prize to announce: The winner of each stage will receive a 3-month Premiere membership/extension! Way to up the stakes, Indietalk!

So get voting and get writing for Stage Two! :yes:

Back