• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera My new visual reel, please take a look and tell me what you think :)

IMHO, visuals do not exist in vacuum but depend on the story

They exist in a vacuum if youre a producer trying to hire a cinematographer and youre looking at showreels
I would shorten some of it and focus on the more unique shots and different use of colors.

Maybe back off some of the glow/flare that is in abundance early on. There's great stuff in there.

Last edited:
I did a test cut....removed 20 seconds not 30

It is much better now. I guess you removed the flares in the forest and some other things. Getting the water shots in one group definitely helped, as we can see some progression in the action. Now looks much better for me. Grouping other shots also would be probably good, plus adding different music to each group. But shots in vacuum, so ok.

Last edited:
I know reel lacks some specific theme. Main thing I wanted to achieve was feeling of melancholia, wandering and felling of walking & moving.
to be honest, I thought it is more of technical presentation, thats why I thought it could gain from a specific theme. For example, depending on music, these shots and impression of them may change dramatically, but again, music cannot be also in vacuum. Ultimately, everything is connected to impress the viewer, stimulate some emotions in him or her. But I get that you want to present shots only, so no problem. The dreamy look was great. You might to create maybe thematic 2-3 reels, like "Dream of my mother", "We are in the darkness", "Before first day in school" or so (just based on some of your shots), put music, which suits more and maybe we can understand how you can express emotions by your camera work better.

Last edited:
to be honest, I thought it is more of technical presentation, thats why I thought it could gain from a specific theme. For example, depending on music, these shots and impression of them may change dramatically, but again, music cannot be also in vacuum. Ultimately, everything is connected to impress the viewer, stimulate some emotions in him or her. But I get that you want to present shots only, so no problem. The dreamy look was great.
Thank you about the dreamy look, I am really trying to explore more that ascetics in my work in cinematography projects.

This is nice thank you! How did tou chose what to remove?
I tink you have to grab the audience by the bals.... defenetly with in a show reel. The under water shot is one of your best so I moved it into the front . It tone works very well with the shot before and after. I understand that you feel a lot of love for all of your shots but some of them are OK or even distracting... OK shots are shots like the one on 00:14 and 00:30. 01:17 is a repetition. 01:22 and 01:26 are so bright that it becomes distracting 00:39 intresting lens bokeh...but also distracting. And 00:02 just not sharp, can work in a movie but not in the beginning of a show real.

Last edited:
I like the pace of Feutus Lapdance's edit, I think it has more impact for general viewers. If I'm looking for a cinematographer, I actually prefer the original, where it started where it did, then.... that beautiful water shot came and grabbed me. Seeing it right away meant that there was no going up, as it's arguably the best or second best shot.

Thank you about the dreamy look, I am really trying to explore more that ascetics in my work in cinematography projects.

I noticed that fogged, blown out (light) style. You could have shot MINORITY REPORT, for Spielberg. Ha ha! You're very good. Excellent reel!! My fave shot was the ray of sunlight through the window. You could almost grab it.

I like the pace of Feutus Lapdance's edit, I think it has more impact for general viewers. If I'm looking for a cinematographer, I actually prefer the original, where it started where it did, then.... that beautiful water shot came and grabbed me. Seeing it right away meant that there was no going up, as it's arguably the best or second best shot.

I noticed that fogged, blown out (light) style. You could have shot MINORITY REPORT, for Spielberg. Ha ha! You're very good. Excellent reel!! My fave shot was the ray of sunlight through the window. You could almost grab it.
Big thanks on your comments!

I think if you write down and shoot a dreamy story with these visuals and the music specifically for the dream sequence, this could be amazing.
A producer and director looking to hire a DP isn't as interested in a reel that shows
an amazing story. They are looking at the visual style and diversity.

As a fellow director I agree with Scoopicman; the first cut works better for me than
Feutus Lapdance's edit. (But damn nice work Feutus!) I would hire you based on this reel.

Very impressive! (reel and actual work)
I would have only changed a few minor things myself.
1) At :23 there is a crescendo in the music but nothing impactful happens on screen.
2) At :55 it seems you are really cutting to the beat. But it tends to be off as it goes on. like 1:05/10 it falls apart but it really looks off at the guy looking at his hand. It irks me only because it seemed like it was trying to cut to the beat and then it was off which causes you to think about it. I would either cut to the beat or not. Not do it precisely and then not.
3) The girls running at :55, I would put earlier when you have different movies running together. I like that "running" portion.
Well done!

Very impressive! (reel and actual work)
I would have only changed a few minor things myself.
1) At :23 there is a crescendo in the music but nothing impactful happens on screen.
2) At :55 it seems you are really cutting to the beat. But it tends to be off as it goes on. like 1:05/10 it falls apart but it really looks off at the guy looking at his hand. It irks me only because it seemed like it was trying to cut to the beat and then it was off which causes you to think about it. I would either cut to the beat or not. Not do it precisely and then not.
3) The girls running at :55, I would put earlier when you have different movies running together. I like that "running" portion.
Well done!
Thanks!

A producer and director looking to hire a DP isn't as interested in a reel that shows
an amazing story. They are looking at the visual style and diversity.

As a fellow director I agree with Scoopicman; the first cut works better for me than
Feutus Lapdance's edit. (But damn nice work Feutus!) I would hire you based on this reel.
Thanks!

Back