Making first feature need help.

Hey guys im new here but have been apart of forums before and i love them so i wanted to start here asking questions. Heres whats going on i have been working on a movie with my friend for about a year now and all we have is basically a treatment i guess. I am getting a screenwriter to write it for me and they way im getting this far is i have a friend in the business who knows alot of people. He is an actor ,producer, director ,es done alot in the industry, but the thing is ,is that i want to make this a film i can see on the big screen and i just dont know the process and need some input from other people. I have $15,000 i was going to pay the screenwriter to write the film for me and thats it thats all the money i have and after i get the screenplay i dont know what comes next at all and would like to hear from you guys on your thoughts thanks.

Jumping right into a feature may not be the best thing unless you have a lot of money and a great producer/AD to help/teach you as you go.

Start out by making a bunch of short films, no budget. Get to know the process. Read books. Once a year or more has gone by and you've made a few dozen shorts, then get your feature on.

Welcome, btw.

yes and thats what i dont understand is that i want a big movie and a great screenplay so i was going to pay that for screenwriter and dont know how im going to budget the rest , all i wanna do is act in it but i dont know where the rest of the budget is going to come from.

So you don't want to direct or produce?

That's good, but I'm not sure where it leaves your creative involvement at. There are literally hundreds of other things that need to be done and I'm sure loads of people here will help you out with them. But commisioning a screen play and then hiring a director and producer just so you can act in the film is almost the complete reverse of the norm. That's not a bad thing necessarily, it's just very unusual... :cool:

Is this what you mean?

yes and thats what i dont understand is that i want a big movie and a great screenplay so i was going to pay that for screenwriter and dont know how im going to budget the rest , all i wanna do is act in it but i dont know where the rest of the budget is going to come from.

Heh... time to really slow down for a bit, and figure out the best way to make this film happen - 'cos this ain't the best business plan I've ever run across.

If you need suggestions & ideas, you're at the right place. Don't be rushing to give anyone your hard-earned money now, though.

See this is why i love forums:).Now the guy that is helping me all this i have know for about 2 years now or a lil more i know he had his on production company hes mad a movie that he produce and stared in so hes really the one with all the experience with this and hes trying to help me out with my plan.

Don't pay an screenwriter 15k on your first film.

If you really want to learn how to make a feature film with low budget go to a seminar or buy the DVDs from Dov Simens (i don't know if I can put here, anyways google it).

You will learn how to budget your film and make it great. 15K is a lot of money to make a first feature.

Good luck and congratz on the idea.

Does your friend Damian believe you should spend $15,000 on a
screenplay? Knowing that’s all the money you have and there will
be no money to make the movie?

This seems like a really poor plan; Spend all your money on a
screenplay and then have no money to make a movie. If this guy who
is a producer, director and has done a lot in the industry
approves of this plan I am very suspect of his method. It’s clear
that he has produced and directed movies before. Do you know where
he got the money for his other movies? Is he expecting you to pay
for the entire production?

I must say, this entire situation is very confusing.

Money? $omebody $ay money?

All right, what sort of foolhardiness is going on around here? There must be more to the story.

Why are you making this script/film?

What sort of background do you have?

Is your uncle a film distributor?

Do you have a way of getting more money to finish the project?

Do you own the rights to a very incredible super story that you want turned into a script?

What gives?

I'll take the job, btw.

Invest the $15K in 12 month Certificate of Deposit. (CD's earning about 3%?) and go volunteer to act in someone ELSE'S movie. Do that about 5 times, and you'll have all the friends you need to make a great movie, plus you'll know what the heck your talking about.. and finally you'll have a bit more than $15K to make that great movie.

Heck you already spun your wheels for more than a year just THINKING of movie ideas, whats another year spent practicing your craft and earning 3% cash!

Back