Making first feature need help.

Hey guys im new here but have been apart of forums before and i love them so i wanted to start here asking questions. Heres whats going on i have been working on a movie with my friend for about a year now and all we have is basically a treatment i guess. I am getting a screenwriter to write it for me and they way im getting this far is i have a friend in the business who knows alot of people. He is an actor ,producer, director ,es done alot in the industry, but the thing is ,is that i want to make this a film i can see on the big screen and i just dont know the process and need some input from other people. I have $15,000 i was going to pay the screenwriter to write the film for me and thats it thats all the money i have and after i get the screenplay i dont know what comes next at all and would like to hear from you guys on your thoughts thanks.

Gold isn't political. Its shiny and tastes good, and makes children happy. :) But seriously instead of gold, you could buy TIPs (Treasurey Inflation-Protected securities) Just an opinion.

Thats what i dont understand is how the rest of the movie is going to be paid for, im calling him today but what are some other questions i should ask him about how this is going to work?

There is only one question you need to ask:

Who will be paying for the production of the film?

That's it. No other question at this point.

How did your conversation go?

It always scares me when a new filmmaker feels they have to spend thousands of dollars to have someone else write their first film. Can you write it? You have the idea. You don't have any filmmaker-screenwriter friends who could help you flesh out the story FOR FREE? Or to be part of the production?

$15,000 on a screenplay is no guarantee its going to work. I just think that kind of money could go into the production of the independent film.

-- spinner :cool:

I'll do it for five dorrah!

I agree with Spinner. Throwing money at a screenwriter won't gaurantee good results. Also, lack of confidence does not equal lack of talent. You may very well be one heck of a screenwriter, but never gave yourself the chance to show it.

I love gooooooolllld.

Grasshopper.. listen to Wheatgrinder ...... I did not heed advice like his and invessted $9,000 in my own feature movie which is an unwatchable piece of garbage. I learned a lot in doing that... MOVE SLOWLY !!!!! You should not do ANYTHING that you have to ask questions about.. First KNOW FOR SURE what you need to do beforehand... but , heck I did not listen either..........

Back