Making a movie about people talking of the interstellar war.

Happy new year, everyone.

As stated in my recent threads, I am thinking (as always) of doing that film. One low-cost way of doing it is to have actors talking about the interstellar war, as opposed to showing the combat scenes. I have started a background fictional history of the war, with the introduction and the epilogue. The history is by the defeated Enemy General (EG), who writes it while in prison.

As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that, to adapt prose to film, one page of prose would equal one minute of film, but a history can be lengthened or shortened.

I am thinking that the film, to keep it as low as possible, should have one set of scenes where the EG talks to his counterpart, then another set of scenes where a reporter talks to survivors of the war, and so on. And, to splurge a bit, we can always have a dance scene.

The regulars here know film better than me, but many good movies have been done with inexpensive sets - examples are "Same Time, Next Year", and Hitchcock's "Rear Window".

Last edited:
For real man, just pay someone a couple grand to make one of your short scripts with some VFX or something if youre not gonna create it yourself. just WATCHING your script on screen for a few minutes will do more for your writing than talking about it for 6 months. a couple grand is nothing for you right? consider how many years you've been talking about this, if you just put a dollar a day into it you'd have a couple grand by now to actually create something

there are no covid restrictions for low budget non-sag stuff.
I still make stuff, i don't even wear a mask bc I don't use a crew and theres so few people around

Last edited:
@sfoster that's the point - even if the script didn't work, it's the part, where we talk about filming, then, perhaps cut to a film about people in the war talking about what happened. As the Chinese saying goes, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a step.

@directorik, where will you be in this?

@sfoster that's the point - even if the script didn't work, it's the part, where we talk about filming, then, perhaps cut to a film about people in the war talking about what happened. As the Chinese saying goes, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a step.

Yeah the journey doesn't even start until you take that step - your journey hasn't even begun!

Happy new year, everyone.

As stated in my recent threads, I am thinking (as always) of doing that film. One low-cost way of doing it is to have actors talking about the interstellar war, as opposed to showing the combat scenes. I have started a background fictional history of the war, with the introduction and the epilogue. The history is by the defeated Enemy General (EG), who writes it while in prison.

As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that, to adapt prose to film, one page of prose would equal one minute of film, but a history can be lengthened or shortened.

I am thinking that the film, to keep it as low as possible, should have one set of scenes where the EG talks to his counterpart, then another set of scenes where a reporter talks to survivors of the war, and so on. And, to splurge a bit, we can always have a dance scene.

The regulars here know film better than me, but many good movies have been done with inexpensive sets - examples are "Same Time, Next Year", and Hitchcock's "Rear Window".
Hi, Aspriing Mogul -- just be aware of the primary rule of filmmaking: Show don't Tell. Your audience will glaze over/lose interest after half a page of heads talking about a past rebellion. Find ways to illustrate the battle - even if it's via still images, or characters that have batlle scars, or trinkets they picked up from various battles. Any way for us to IMAGINE what the battle may have been like. Dialogue is very poor for doing that. You're almost better having a character NOT want to talk about a great battle, and the other characters are pushing him/her to reveal what really happened. Try to come up with some inventive way to make it more interesting for the viewer.

Then you can have your logistically simple scene or story, while also doing everything you can to make it interesting.

Reminds me of redletermidea comparing the friendship of Anakin and Obie Vs the friendship of Luke and Han. In Return we feel the friendship and time Han and Luke spend with each other. In starwars 2 we are reminded with poor dialogue of there wacky adventures.

Aaaannnnd you totally ignored the cool concept @mlesemann @sfoster and myself threw at you! Which would totally work!
What would be cool is the dynamic of two prisoners in a cell but one from each side of the war. So one is the enemy, and one is on the allied side but broke a law or protocol, or maybe, is a threat to themselves, or something. THEN the talk between the two would be interesting. Perhaps the ship is small and only has one cell which would explain them being in the same cell.
I like that idea.

The movie that I mentioned above, Tape, deals with how differently people remember the same event.
That concept could work well with 2 prisoners from opposite sides of the war.
Prisoner thing is cool.

The war could still be going on. so the prisoner could be on the winning side, and eventually troops come in and liberate him and then his captor becomes the prisoner for the final act/scene instead and their positions get reversed
And that only needs to be a couple of guys with weapons accompanied by major sound effects.

Back