Making a Low Budget Sci-Fi Film

Hello everyone!

Thanks for stopping by. Can I offer you a drink? Coffee? Sure, I'm going to need some coffee too for this thread. It's gonna be a long one.

I am posting because I wanted to bring you all along with me on my journey to making a Science Fiction film called "Infinitus".

My plan is to make something with practical FX, while retaining the moody/artsy atmosphere I like so much. Science fiction is one of my favorite genres. I grew up watching the Alien films, Bladerunner, 2001, Terminator, etc. It seems like lately, SciFi might be coming back strong again. I am ready for it! Interstellar was great, The Martian too, and I'm hoping Ad-Astra can pull it off.

For my film, I want to create a vibe similar to Stalker (1979) directed by Tarkovsky mixed with Sunshine (2006) by Boyle.

Our plot begins deep underground in bunkers near the Earth's core. A species similar to us has invented a technology to harness the power of a dying star and use it for themselves. Called the "Infinitus" program, it was designed to go inside of a star and control the reactions at the core. Instead, it causes the star to collapse and leaves a small black hole at the center of the system. (Don't worry, I've researched the heck out of this. Contrary to popular opinion, a black hole in place of the sun wouldn't change orbits of planets). Our main character, Rachel... Goes through the film plotting to eradicate the singularity and restore the star.

It sounds very high concept, I know. That plot was created after 6 revisions to the original idea, and there are still bits that I want to fine tune before filming begins in November-December.

Ultimately, I just want a piece about a female character taking action, a black hole as an antagonist, and the backdrop to work in practical FX.

For the set, I've locked down a warehouse and we will style it as a bunker. That won't be too hard, we are going to use scrap and cardboard/wood to build prop pieces in order to create a rusty/grungy vibe.

For the ship, I will be kit-bashing plastic bits and what not in order to make a studio scale miniature. (That seems to be the biggest challenge).
ship+design.jpg

For the suit, we've already pretty much finished it. Rob and Ray's homemade FX talent is quickly moving along.
67821117_346581479565317_7627216530140299264_n.jpg
67870241_2505006162889261_4127552322660204544_n.jpg

Filming will be done over a 4 day period, mostly indoor/cockpit scenes. The outdoor shot, we have to wait for the snow to settle in and the lakes to freeze over.

And for the rest, I will keep posting up here. I hope to continue sharing the progress of the film with you all. If you love scifi films, or have done some in the past, I would love to hear your stories too!

Until the next post.
-Cam

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some color corrected versions of the stills:
IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Those shots are filmed on the ARRI Amira camera. I've never worked with pro-gear or a pro DP like this before, and it was an amazing experience. The DP (Andrew Dryer) had an awesome team (Mike, Jordan, and Eric) helping him set up and tear down the shots quickly and efficiently. We were able to stick to our schedule and get all the shots we need for the first quarter of the film.

The actress, Chelsea Murphey, is pictured above as the main character for our story. Not seen, but equally important are her husband (played by Paul D Morgan) and her daughter (Alizé Lee).

2 more shooting days are planned with physical sets. After that, it will be all practical and miniature film making to wrap up the principle photography.

There has been more progress on the miniature.

72466791_1637592659710550_2913397344760233984_n.jpg

75282340_1637592543043895_8791701147564900352_n.jpg

For the practical FX portion of the film, we will be using paint reactions on a macro lens to record random and beautifully organic space stuff. We have already practiced a little, and are pleased with the results. I think it will be a killer yet practical addition to the film.
Star Factory.png

PLanet White.png

7fzy4sl7h5u31.png

Thanks for taking a look at our progress. Hope to share more soon.

Last edited:
Wow... I never would'v thought to use paint as the background of the galaxy. That is soo creative. The miniature model looks impressive as well. I remember what George Luas was able to on Star Wars with those techniques.. Im excited to see the finished productive of this.

I hope we get to see the finished film 😉

Well, it will be going to festivals and most of them have rules about posting on the internet early. BUT, the crowdfunding campaign will have digital downloads available at low cost. Plus, you would be helping out our project at the same time. That would be the best way to see it early, otherwise you may be waiting until the end of 2020. I hate that it is that way, but I'm sure the festivals have their reasons.

Hopefully you will see it on DUST. That would be the greatest!

Wow... I never would'v thought to use paint as the background of the galaxy. That is soo creative.

Thank you so much for commenting.

Paint is really cool, because you never really know how it will come out. Every time you film it, it makes something different. I plan on adding dry ice at some point, just for fun and see how it plays out. Hours of work for 5 seconds sometimes, but it is so much fun.

I was inspired by some works on Vimeo. You should check them out when you get a chance. Thomas Blanchard is really good, as well as Thomas Vanz.

After reading this I am genuinely interested in this project! It looks so creative and cool! This is very inspiring and I can’t wait to see it! I have a suggestion if I may. After you have filmed everything there is no harm in adding some extra “animated” scenes. Animation if you spend a little time learning can be done for free of no cost by yourself. Perhaps there could be flash back/memory/past or legend scenes. Maybe she could have a memory of her parents or an old friend telling her A motivational lesson. Which bring me to another suggestion if I may.
What will people take away from your film? Because all the sets, the artistry and the amazing, hard dedicating work and a great story as you probs have can work great. But what will people remember? To help with this I suggest amplifying whatever morals or life lesson is in the film. Urgency, the will to do what must be done, never giving up. Some kind of moral and people will remember the film even more. Which is why a memory animation scene would be cool.
thats my suggestion, all in all this is very inspiring and I can’t wait to see the end product.

Since this is a sci-fi scene, what would be incredibly powerful in a memory scene would be perhaps greenery. Sight of trees as such. That would contrast itself greatly to the sci fi sets and make people remember the film even more. Maybe the main character has an object given to her by an old friend or parent and she looks at it before she takes off and remembers some sort of motivation (portrayed by an animation scene) and then it Goes to her flying off. Just an idea though, good luck.

Since this is a sci-fi scene, what would be incredibly powerful in a memory scene would be perhaps greenery. Sight of trees as such. That would contrast itself greatly to the sci fi sets and make people remember the film even more. Maybe the main character has an object given to her by an old friend or parent and she looks at it before she takes off and remembers some sort of motivation (portrayed by an animation scene) and then it Goes to her flying off. Just an idea though, good luck.

Thanks for the cool ideas! We will think about it.

Here are some color corrected versions of the stills:
IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Those shots are filmed on the ARRI Amira camera. I've never worked with pro-gear or a pro DP like this before, and it was an amazing experience. The DP (Andrew Dryer) had an awesome team (Mike, Jordan, and Eric) helping him set up and tear down the shots quickly and efficiently. We were able to stick to our schedule and get all the shots we need for the first quarter of the film.

The actress, Chelsea Murphey, is pictured above as the main character for our story. Not seen, but equally important are her husband (played by Paul D Morgan) and her daughter (Alizé Lee).

2 more shooting days are planned with physical sets. After that, it will be all practical and miniature film making to wrap up the principle photography.

There has been more progress on the miniature.

72466791_1637592659710550_2913397344760233984_n.jpg

75282340_1637592543043895_8791701147564900352_n.jpg

For the practical FX portion of the film, we will be using paint reactions on a macro lens to record random and beautifully organic space stuff. We have already practiced a little, and are pleased with the results. I think it will be a killer yet practical addition to the film.
Star Factory.png

PLanet White.png

7fzy4sl7h5u31.png

Thanks for taking a look at our progress. Hope to share more soon.

This is all really coming into its own, will you be realeasing a trailer or teaser in the near future?

This is all really coming into its own, will you be realeasing a trailer or teaser in the near future?

Absolutely! We are editing our crowdfunding vid right now, and I plan on having a teasing bit in that. Should be out late November.

Outside of that, I learned from the last film... DON'T release a low budget film trailer too early, else you will loose buzz before the actual film launches.

So, the official teaser won't launch until around 2020.

Last edited:
Momentum. You build it early with nothing after you lose it. You keep teasing, you keep it going. Fresh content. A series even, showing more and more each time. Build suspense.

I don't understand that.

Can't you do several teasers and/or trailers to keep the buzz going?

Why not? A short film is not comparable to a feature length, and even more so an internet release not comparable to a theatrical or Netflix release.

I did two teasers for the last short film I made. Just noticed from statistics that interest peaked upon release of the official trailer, but only lasted for around a two week period to build interest. That trailer was released a whole 5 months before the films internet release. By the time the film actually released, the hype had died down.

Momentum. You build it early with nothing after you lose it. You keep teasing, you keep it going. Fresh content. A series even, showing more and more each time. Build suspense.

So you all are saying I should maybe try out more teasers??? Gradually building more and more hype to the best trailer?

That does take time on my end to create those things. And I don't know if I exactly go about it the right way.

Last edited:
A little behind the scenes look into our first filming day. It was an awesome learning experience! I am extremely grateful to all the crew and cast who helped make it that way.

I can't wait for the second day, when we get the cockpit and airlock scenes later near the end of November.

Last edited:
Back