• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

independent film do-able with iphone?

i know the iphone doesn't have zoom,but could i make an exceptable film with it?....maybe one i could enter into a contest?.....if you have any examples,please,post a link...........thanks........jeremy

I question why you would want to shoot on an iPhone. Does it lend itself in some fundamental way to the story you are trying to tell, or would you do it just to say "shot on iphone"? I suspect that if you start with a great project, you'll find you've wasted it's potential, and if you start with a weak project you'll find you've wasted a lot of time.

In the end, I don't see a lot of opportunity to expand your horizons as a film maker unless it is simply to rise to the challenge. If that's the case, it's like gouging your eyes out to challenge yourself. You won't necessarily do anything better, but you may accomplish the same thing with a severe handicap.
you gotta' understand,i am going to use a pocket recorder to learn distancing,lighting & practice editing etc......when i feel i am proficient with fcpe & video recording i am going to make an excellent project film with the canon 814 az i just purchased on ebay....yahoo......
fyi.....i have decided on the kodak zi8 with the lens mod to add filters:wide view,polar,uv,etc {not an iphone}........it will be mounted beside my sony pcm-d50,which will most likely be useless in most outdoor shoots but pretty decent inside.......i have a blimp,though...
my screenwriting is going great.....i wrote a short story the other day about a 5 year old boy who hears a scratching under the sidewalk while he is drawing chalk pictures on it.....he hears the scratching for months,but his grandpa can't hear it...one day a locust comes up from a hole it dug through the sidewalk..{yes,a locust can bore a hole in 3" slate}i witnessed it when i was 5......my grandpa said"you got good ears,boy".......the short is called......"THE SCRATCHER".......these are memory's more than screenplays.they're organic & true & to the point.perfect,i think for super 8mm{for now}.....
then i wrote another short about the time my grandpa tricked me into digging up his apple tree by saying i would be digging a swimming pool..........at least he let me fill the hole full of water & play in it until the end of summer........there's a pineapple grenade in that story...
then,i wrote another short about the time i took my star wars at-at outside in december & left it out overnite which is when the blizzard of 78 came......i went out the next day to dig for it & ended up finding a 1200 year old native american canoe anchor which i sold to an antique dealer{i should have kept it}....that story is called"WHERE'S THE AT-AT AT".......all story's from when i was 5....
i feel gear is secondary,,,,,ATTITUDE & VISION are primary.........i know,i talk too much.....:D

EDIT: I was flagged for using a potty-mouth. So, this new improved message is rated PG (edits in itallics).

You're ill-advised for even considering to shoot on an iPhone, unless it's part of a contest or something. And shame on everyone before me, who has encouraged you to travel down this path.

NO!!!

Okay, I'm sorry I called you ill-advised. You wanna shoot on Super8, and I guess that's cool, except that DSLR video is beginning to look a whole lot more like actual film, and is way less expensive to shoot on.

But you wanna practice your skills with a piece of equipment that doesn't require a huge investment. That's smart. But it's not smart to practice your skills on a piece of equipment that's not designed for filmmaking. You will learn the wrong things the wrong way. If you wanna just get your feet wet, consider something like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-ZR-80-MiniDV-Camcorder-w-Case-Charger-3-Tapes-/350348682321?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item519268a451

I'm sorry I had to be the meanie. But to be honest, I think you needed a meanie to tell you how completely misguided your beginning ideas are, for entering this world of filmmaking. Film will be obsolete in a matter of years. Get a video camera. Practice with it. By the time you're good with it, there'll be some super-awesome DSLR that has been designed specifically for video, and it won't be that expensive.

Last edited:
jeremy, do you feel you can only expand your horizons as a film
maker using top of the line equipment?

I'm not Jeremy, but I'd like to answer this question. Limiting yourself to shooting on an iPhone, or any other stupid device that's not designed for our craft, severely limits your creative control. The more technical options you have available to you, the more creative decisions you can make. Fuck shooting on an iPhone. Giving yourself more technical options allows your creative options to expand, exponentially.

Limiting yourself to shooting on an iPhone, or any other stupid device that's not designed for our craft, severely limits your creative control.

An opposing view: "The Enemy of Art is the Absence of Limitations." -Orson Welles

Suffice to say, if your creative options are limited you're more inclined to make the correct ones each time. If you have endless choices and no limits, you're more inclined to not take each choice seriously. Not hard and fast rules, not always true for everybody, but do you see the point?

An opposing view: "The Enemy of Art is the Absence of Limitations." -Orson Welles

Suffice to say, if your creative options are limited you're more inclined to make the correct ones each time. If you have endless choices and no limits, you're more inclined to not take each choice seriously. Not hard and fast rules, not always true for everybody, but do you see the point?

I do see the point. But, I'm afraid it's a bad point. You can't seriously be arguing that it's a good idea to shoot a movie on an iPhone. Ohmygawd, has everyone gone mad?! On the contrary, I think having more options allows you to take each step of the process more seriously. It gives you the freedom to let your creativity bloom. Why in the world would anybody intentionall limit themselves? I don't get that, at all.

Maybe we should all ditch our computers, and edit on reel-to-reel. Limit your options. Make the editing process more difficult. For absolutely no reason, except that it might make us "take each choice seriously".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I didn’t have the option to start with top of the line - or even
middle of the line. I was forced by circumstance, location and
budget to start with the very bottom of the line equipment.

I learned a lot by rising to and then rising above my equipment
limitations. That challenge forced me to be more creative and to
expand. I admit I learned to do many things the “wrong” way. But
as I got better equipment and met more people I got better and
learned the “right” way.

I’m glad I didn’t listen to advice like yours when I was getting
started. I would have waited until I wasn’t “limiting” myself. I
wouldn’t have made as many films as I did. By the time I was ready
to make my first “serious” film (on super 8 at age 16) I was well
prepared.

So there we are. Some say wait until you have better equipment.
Some say make the best with what you have.

And shame on everyone before me, who has encouraged you to travel down this path.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I respect your advice and opinion.

apinehillproduction, you understand, of course, that Lynch is
speaking about watching movies on a very small screen - not
shooting a movie with a very small camera. He shot "Inland
Empire" on a standard definition miniDV camera.

To be clear, the OT was about what "could be done" to which we discovered that the possibility exists for creative film like expression via the iPhone.

The OP never asked if he SHOULD, only if he could.

I had typed several responses much inline with CrackerFunk, but then I figured the OP would end up doing what he wanted to anyway, and so what if he waste his time on iPhone movies.. I make bad decisions everyday. (see my post on too much beachtek kit)
No mater how the movies turn out, he still has an iPhone at the end of the day!

If I turn out to be lousy filmmaker and decide to pitch it all in, Iv got nothing useful to show for my money.. :)

I think the bigger point is that the OP is looking for something to buy. Turns out he was going to buy an Iphone or now the Kodak phone so that he can record a movie. (and I'm sure use it as a cell phone).

But the options for cheap used halfway decent cameras for <$100 are out there. So if someone has money to buy a $200+ iphone with contract, they might as well buy something that makes a lot more sense.

If all someone has is an iphone, and wants to get creative, FINE, have fun. But if youre looking for which phone to buy to record movies, there are slightly better ways to go about it. I think a few posters are simply trying to remind him of the better options since hes still in the choosing stage.

If I turn out to be lousy filmmaker and decide to pitch it all in, Iv got nothing useful to show for my money.. :)
I gotta tell you I don't understand this.

If at some point you decide to not pursue filmmaking what
you got for you money was months (or even years) of
understanding and knowledge of a very interesting, very
challenging, very difficult to master craft. You had fun, you
learned, you created. Even if you end up with just one, lousy
short film, you have something useful to show for your money.

I guess I'm more in the minority than I thought. I've always
felt that everything we try makes us who we are. That our
failures are just as - and maybe more - important as our
successes.

Maybe we should all ditch our computers, and edit on reel-to-reel. Limit your options. Make the editing process more difficult. For absolutely no reason, except that it might make us "take each choice seriously".

That's actually one of my goals for this year. Editing a 16mm short by hand.

I've never done it before. That's as good a reason to try it as any.
smiley_colbert.gif

As far as I'm concerned, the OP has done his research and looked at his options before deciding what to do - that's good enough for me. I hope it turns out just as well as he can make it, and if it doesn't match his expectations I'm sure the film after that will be even better. :)

There is no "right way" to do something.

ok,the canon zr80 has sparked my GAS,but i think i would spring for the new zr960 instead,to be on the safe side....i have smattered preparation-h & beano on my forehead hoping to curb my GAS & i think it is working,as i have not yet pressed the ebay "buy" button on that zr80....
it would certainly be a shame if we can't keep super 8mm around for awhile....i doubt anyone could convince www.pro8mm.com that it is becoming extinct.......they're all set up for every aspect of it.....plus they sell some super awesome 8mm cameras....but maybe dslr will take over someday soon..
i keep thinking about the old charlie chaplin movies.they were so primative,but enabled the story to be told.........i hope a modern pocket camcorder should be able to do something interesting considering films were made at the turn of the century on very little......i'm gonna' jump in & start experimenting soon & then i'll have a better idea of what i'm doing,but i love gadgets & i am afraid i'll be collecting more new ones to curb my film cravings......btw i do crave a $3,500.00 3 ccd chip camera.....i could get one if i really wanted.....but i'll wait to see wut happens on my lower budget rendezvous.....
i am glaD you guys are all here with me on my journey.....i love this forum.....:yes:

I gotta tell you I don't understand this.

If at some point you decide to not pursue filmmaking what
you got for you money was months (or even years) of
understanding and knowledge of a very interesting, very
challenging, very difficult to master craft. You had fun, you
learned, you created. Even if you end up with just one, lousy
short film, you have something useful to show for your money.

I guess I'm more in the minority than I thought. I've always
felt that everything we try makes us who we are. That our
failures are just as - and maybe more - important as our
successes.

Too literal RICK. I am having a GREAT TIME. I LOVE learning, and deep diving for knowledge, and that is worth every penny I might be "misappropriating" from my savings account ;)

I got banned for using the "r-tard" word (presumably; I'm actually not entirely sure why I was banned). Anyway, In my opinion, that word is used colloquially in a way as to deem the word silly, and not to be taken seriously. I did not mean it literally, or as an insult, but only to express strong disagreement. I apologize to anyone if my use of that word offended, as that was not at all my intent.

I hate to beat a dead horse on this issue, but I've been gone for a little while, and unable to really make my point clear.

If he wants to learn this craft, isn't it a good idea that he use equipment that is closest to what he will be using later, when he's got more money to spend? Wouldn't it be kind of self-defeating to learn the tricks of using one piece of equipment, only to later throw out much of what you've learned, when you switch to a piece of equipment that is completely different from the one you've been using? Isn't it just simple logic to make that transition to better equipment as easy a transition as can be?

If they can both be purchased for $100 or less, I just don't see the logic in choosing a pocket camera, when a used miniDV camera does SO much more. White balance. Exposure. Manual focus. Zoom. A jack for an external mic. Unlimited storage capacity (well, unlimited in how many tapes you can buy). If all of these things exist on a $100 pocket camera, then go ahead and travel down that road. But my intuition tells me they do not, and if you want to learn to be a filmmaker, you're better off equiping yourself with at least a FEW of the tools that filmmakers use.

Zensteve, honestly, I think it's awesome that you plan to edit a 16mm film by hand. I'm sure it'll be a terrific experience. But it sounds to me like you're doing it for the novelty of it. I don't think you would argue that somebody permanently limit themselves in this way, would you? You're not actually arguing against the benefits of off-line computer editing, I have to assume.

And no, there is not a "right" way to make movies, but there sure as heck are a lot of wrong ways.

isn't it a good idea that he use equipment that is closest to what he will be using later

How do you know what he'll be using later? Maybe he'll continue to make movies, but never touch a camera again. Maybe he'll be the last of the 16mm camera guys. Maybe he'll turn to screenwriting.

If the guy had decided that he wanted to use an Ectch-a-Sketch to tell his story, I'd say that's great too. Whatever works for him. The guy is happy with the medium he has chosen for his artworks ...and that's all that counts.

Unless you're his producer.

Back