• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

independent film do-able with iphone?

i know the iphone doesn't have zoom,but could i make an exceptable film with it?....maybe one i could enter into a contest?.....if you have any examples,please,post a link...........thanks........jeremy

If all you have is an iPhone (which technically costs way more than a used consumer camera), you could TRY to work it into the script. For example, a movie about two people on their webcams talking to each other on the other side of the world, and every shot is made to look like it's a shot from their webcam sitting on teir desk, then maybe.

But if you are just at this stage, not even owning a $100 digital8 camera, entering into contests sounds a bit funny. Get some practice and enter your 5th project.

i know the iphone doesn't have zoom,but could i make an exceptable film with it?....maybe one i could enter into a contest?.....if you have any examples,please,post a link...........thanks........jeremy
Absolutely you could! I would love to see it. I don't
know of any links. If you do it you may be the first.

Do you have what it takes to meet that challenge?

Last edited:
Treat it like a movie camera, use a tripod, slow panning, good shot framing and have fun. All movie making techniques can apply, so apply them.

What I think NOBODY wants to see is another shaky, whip panned, unframed iPhone iMovie..

found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wSAivZ5QE&NR=1

and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saDguIg9CIE&feature=player_embedded#!

and this:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/technologic-overkill-first-music-promo-shot-on-iphone/
yeah,i just didn't want to attempt it if the camera pixelation would end up looking bad on a bigger screen.....i'm gonna wait for the iphone 4g to buy one...
thanks for posting those great videos.they are very inspiring......
you guys here at indietalk are super informative ;& i'll keep everybody updated as to my progress...sweeeeet..............thanks,jeremy

kodak zx1

the iphone is really expensive to get an unlocked one,so i think i'll just get a kodak zx1 & have ALOT of dough left over to invest in super 8mm........maybe the kodak zx1 will be a challenge with lighting but i am up for the challenge......plus i'll get good practice editing so i'll be ready when i start super 8mm....i have logic pro 8 & will be adding fcpe soon.......my plans keep changing so i'll keep you guys up to date......thanks...:D

Considering today's Iphones have more computing and video power than my old computers, I say why not? Apply the same lighting, sound, and editing principals-it would definitely make an intriguing short-there's no reason I don't see it why it wouldn't.

I'd like to see what you can come up with! :)

the iphone is really expensive to get an unlocked one,so i think i'll just get a kodak zx1 & have ALOT of dough left over to invest in super 8mm........maybe the kodak zx1 will be a challenge with lighting but i am up for the challenge......plus i'll get good practice editing so i'll be ready when i start super 8mm....i have logic pro 8 & will be adding fcpe soon.......my plans keep changing so i'll keep you guys up to date......thanks...:D

Have you looked up the cost of shooting Super-8? :hmm:

Filmstock, then developing, then transfer to video - it adds up really fast.

I think you may need to crunch some numbers, 'cos if an iPhone is out of your budget then I suspect Super-8 will be too.

Here's an example; a complete package from Pro8mm.

Link: 4 rolls of film (that's only 10 minutes of footage, btw), processing, and digital transfer: $336

That 10 minutes also includes all your bad takes, film used for clapper notes, film you won't be able to use 'cos it's close to the end, whatever.

You can shop around for better deals (Pro8mm ain't the cheapest), but it will still be somewhat close.

Then, add in the cost of recording your audio - 'cos that's a whole other chapter. :)

Last edited:
Have you looked up the cost of shooting Super-8? :hmm:

Filmstock, then developing, then transfer to video - it adds up really fast.

I think you may need to crunch some numbers, 'cos if an iPhone is out of your budget then I suspect Super-8 will be too.

Here's an example; a complete package from Pro8mm.

Link: 4 rolls of film (that's only 10 minutes of footage, btw), processing, and digital transfer: $336

That 10 minutes also includes all your bad takes, film used for clapper notes, film you won't be able to use 'cos it's close to the end, whatever.

You can shop around for better deals (Pro8mm ain't the cheapest), but it will still be somewhat close.

Then, add in the cost of recording your audio - 'cos that's a whole other chapter. :)

yes sir,i have calculated the super 8 cost's.. i'm trying to save money on a cheap practice camcorder to practice editing & maybe lighting etc....so i can put most of my money into super8...but even the super 8mm budget won't compare to my audio addictions.i'm saving for sound devices 702,senn 814,fmr pbc-6a/s,peluso sdc/s,yamaha msp5,owens & corning 705...i just purchased the "like new" canon 814 az from ebay an hour ago......
let me explain more,i am not buying all this stuff just for video/film.i am a musician & have been using logic pro for a few years..i have bought & sold sound devices 702,senn mkh 30/me64 & really enjoyed using them..those high end sounds really push my buttons..nothin beats good sound....
i currently own a senn mic blimp mz,sony pcm-d50,20" imac,logic pro8 & a focusrite saffire tower/sm58,a nice box full of mogami cables, a sweet blueridge acoustic & an old charvel...i'm working towards a workable studio with sound absorption & capabilities to do super 8 & better audio.......i guess my short term goal is to make a 4 minute long music video & also interesting short films......my long term goal would be to assist an indie film maker as their 1 man boompole/audio engineer...i've been training my ears for years & just want to expand a little{super 8mm}......soon i will have demos & somebody will be lucky to have me bring the sound devices 702t into their "lower budget project"......i'll work for free...:D

I question why you would want to shoot on an iPhone. Does it lend itself in some fundamental way to the story you are trying to tell, or would you do it just to say "shot on iphone"? I suspect that if you start with a great project, you'll find you've wasted it's potential, and if you start with a weak project you'll find you've wasted a lot of time.

In the end, I don't see a lot of opportunity to expand your horizons as a film maker unless it is simply to rise to the challenge. If that's the case, it's like gouging your eyes out to challenge yourself. You won't necessarily do anything better, but you may accomplish the same thing with a severe handicap.

Are you serious, jeremy? You see no difference between the
challenge if making a good shot film using an iPhone and gouging
out your eyes?

I’m sure you don’t which is why is seems to me like such a strange
comparison. Challenging yourself is always an opportunity to
expand your horizons as a film maker. Even making a “bad” movie is
an opportunity to expand your horizons as a filmmakers. There is
nothing more enlightening that making what you think is a great
project only to discover you have made a weak project.

jeremy, do you feel you can only expand your horizons as a film
maker using top of the line equipment?

Back