• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

independent film do-able with iphone?

i know the iphone doesn't have zoom,but could i make an exceptable film with it?....maybe one i could enter into a contest?.....if you have any examples,please,post a link...........thanks........jeremy

the iphone is really expensive to get an unlocked one,so i think i'll just get a kodak zx1 & have ALOT of dough left over to invest in super 8mm........maybe the kodak zx1 will be a challenge with lighting but i am up for the challenge......plus i'll get good practice editing so i'll be ready when i start super 8mm....i have logic pro 8 & will be adding fcpe soon.......my plans keep changing so i'll keep you guys up to date......thanks...:D

He wants to shoot on Super 8. I don't think there's any question that miniDV is closer to this experience than a pocket camera.

Okay! I've sufficiently beaten this dead horse. Last point is anyone else's, if they want it. I'm out.

Just go for it OP and enjoy it. If an idea inspires you it's coming from your subconscious. It'll lead to bigger thngs. Just don't sink a ton of money into it. A ton of time, no problems.

Two thoughts:

1. If you spent a lot of time on the sound, i.e. recorded a soundtrack on different equipment, you could have a great movie... But I'm not sure if you want to limit yourself to iPhone sound too.

2. If you wanted to 'write the iPhone into the story' as someone else suggested, you could make it a hidden-camera/secret filmed/expose... type of thing, like the hidden camera exposes where the heroin/coke dealers get filmed making a deal. That's good TV and it'd work for a film as well.

With a plot like that, the graininess + shakiness is your friend and the movie becomes exciting.

Last edited:
Maybe we should all ditch our computers, and edit on reel-to-reel. Limit your options. Make the editing process more difficult. For absolutely no reason, except that it might make us "take each choice seriously".

Been there, done that, and Imma hafta agree. I also think all drivers should be required to learn on a stick. :D

yeah guys,both sides of this debate have upsides that i will take advantage of...i purchased a refurbed kodak zi6 & a canon 814az from ebay,but the shipping is taking forever due to flooding in nashville...i scored a radiant deluxe champion projector screen @ the thrift store for 10.00 & a small photography light for 5 bucks,& a promaster 6050 for 15.00......i am now looking for a refurbed projector,mini dv camcorder{free if possible},a hi8,a 16mm,more lights,some filters for super8mm,light box & cutting box for super8mm.....when the radiant projector screen is rolled up & extended it turns into an 8 foot,durable,T shaped light mount.
my main intention is to produce an audio demo for an independent cinematographer,in an attempt to get a job doing sound effects & music,boompole op,audio editor & the like,but i don't want to neglect my film for the sake of audio.they both need to be good...
i'm starting with the pocket camcorder for practice.it's such a novel piece that i couldn't resist it..............thanks for all the ideas fellas....

Just go for it OP and enjoy it. If an idea inspires you it's coming from your subconscious. It'll lead to bigger thngs. Just don't sink a ton of money into it. A ton of time, no problems.

Two thoughts:

1. If you spent a lot of time on the sound, i.e. recorded a soundtrack on different equipment, you could have a great movie... But I'm not sure if you want to limit yourself to iPhone sound too.

2. If you wanted to 'write the iPhone into the story' as someone else suggested, you could make it a hidden-camera/secret filmed/expose... type of thing, like the hidden camera exposes where the heroin/coke dealers get filmed making a deal. That's good TV and it'd work for a film as well.

With a plot like that, the graininess + shakiness is your friend and the movie becomes exciting.
i have a sony pcm-d50 & i realize pocket cams sound is horrible.i would never use it.even though i don't have timecode,i will chop,synch & edit pcm-d50/film in logic pro 8..i will mount pcm-d50 in my senn blimp/pole/fuzzy cat until i get back in possession of sound devices 702t & senn 816.....
you gave me a great idea were i could mount the pocket cam on building's fascia boards to create a "surveillance cam" type effect for on the job alien abductions or b&e's caught on surv cams....sweet:D

... Why would you even consider shooting a movie with an I-Phone? Thats ridiculous. Maybe like a short funny video that you're throwing onto YouTube. But why must you use it for an actual movie? Look what is happening to our world with all of this technology. Soon all movies will be shot on I-Phones. Goodness.

... Why would you even consider shooting a movie with an I-Phone? Thats ridiculous. Maybe like a short funny video that you're throwing onto YouTube. But why must you use it for an actual movie? Look what is happening to our world with all of this technology. Soon all movies will be shot on I-Phones. Goodness.
yes,that's what i meant.maybe a 10 or 20 minute short movie/film........

... Why would you even consider shooting a movie with an I-Phone? Thats ridiculous. Maybe like a short funny video that you're throwing onto YouTube. But why must you use it for an actual movie?

You'd better shoot an email to Linkletter and tell him he's an idiot for using PixelVision.

Why would anyone manually edit their first feature on a couple of VHS decks? That Rodriguez ain't gonna go places, editing like that...

What model camera did they use for Toy Story, btw?

_______

There are a million ways to tell a story. Motion pictures happens to be one way, and there are dozens of mediums to pick from... and even more gradations within mediums.

Why would anyone want to make a silent film, these days? After all, technology for recording sound is better than ever (in theory). Well... maybe it's just as simple as someone wanting to make a silent film, because they want to?

Maybe Rodriguez was editing like that 'cos that's all he could afford to edit on. Maybe Linkletter just thought PixelVision was friggin' awesome, purely from nostalgia or the novelty of it. Maybe Walt would spin in his cryogenic chamber... err, I mean... grave ;), if he saw today's animators no longer using a brush & ink.

Are any of them less the filmmaker for using what they did?

Or did they actually have a story to present, and did so, with available (or chosen) tools & budget?

Back