Hi

Hey, I just signed up to the site. My name is Michael and I am from Townsville, Queensland in Australia. I a very interested in film studies and film making and would like to work in the area. I am currently studying Graphics Design and Digital Imaging at university because unfortunately there is no Film School here.

Thanks dude, the only reason I chose Graphic Design is because it has a video subject in there somewhere. Also I plan to take some classes from the Theatre and Cinema Studies degrees on offer at my Uni.

Essentially I would like to be a "Jack of all trades" film maker, but my main interest is directing. I am not the best creative writer but when i read a good story I immediately have an image of how i would bring it to life as a film. I am working on writing scripts though, and am getting there slowly.

Essentially I would like to be a "Jack of all trades" film maker, but my main interest is directing. I am not the best creative writer but when i read a good story I immediately have an image of how i would bring it to life as a film. I am working on writing scripts though, and am getting there slowly.

Jack of All Trades, and Master of None. It's definitely good to be well-rounded, but at the same time, it's even better to focus. Finding a happy-medium between being well-rounded and focused is what I personally think you should strive for.

Welcome MGrinstead.

You know that some of the best directors didn't
go to film school. Peter Jackson from your area
did okay without going. Jane Campion and Baz
Luhrmann didn't go to film school.

No time like now to make a movie. What's
stopping you?

Well, there isn't much really, but I don't have much funds. However i have access to HD camera's i can borrow from my university. However one day i would really like to learn how to cut and edit film, and shoot in 35mm etc. I don't know how to gain any expirence like that.

Well, there isn't much really, but I don't have much funds. However i have access to HD camera's i can borrow from my university. However one day i would really like to learn how to cut and edit film, and shoot in 35mm etc. I don't know how to gain any expirence like that.
There are several ways.

Some people learn best in an academic environment.
If that's you, then you're going to have to go to school.
Some people learn best by jumping in and doing it. I'm
that type so my advice is always to jump in and do it.

No one starting has a lot of money so none of us here
will accept that as a legit reason. Because we all are
making movies with very little money. You have access
to a camera so you should make a movie. You can learn
editing with any of the editing software available. Hold
off a little on shooting 35mm. Take this a step at a time.

Write a script - it doesn't have to be good. Gather some
friends. Get the camera and make a movie. It's going to
be terrible. So you start all over. If you made one short
film a month you will have six finished movies by February
2011. Your sixth will be better than your first and not as
good as the tenth. And you will learn a lot about how to
cut and edit.

Are you up to it? Are you serious enough to really give it a go?

I think it's cool that you want to work with film. A lot of people really enjoy doing this, and more power to 'em.

However, just in case this is applicable to you, I thought I should point out that although most Hollywood movies are shot on film, nobody is editing film. It's all digital nowadays, with software like Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere. So, if you want to edit film for fun, that's great, but if you want to just make indie movies, get a cheap camera, some cheap software, and get going (I'm assuming, hopefully, you've already got a computer?). You can get a cheap used miniDV camera on ebay for less than $200, and some decent editing software for around $100 (in this price-range, I personally recommend Sony Vegas).

So you see, there's really nothing stopping you from getting started now.

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Back