Help one of our longest running forum members get back on their feet

Alcove.jpg

A few weeks ago, I read Alcove's thread about his life being destroyed. I think about it. I know what it's like having your life destroyed. Today the front page news on this site is about how a wealthy celebrity was offended by hearing a comment that they didn't like 20 years ago. That's where the focus is.

I can't get those images of that flooded house out of my head. It really bothers me. This guy was one of us here on this forum for a decade, and we ignore it and talk about how a famous millionaire had a bad day once.

I'd like to suggest that some of us get together and start up a GoFundMe page to help Alcove Audio out. I think @richy suggested the same earlier. But let's actually do it. Between all of us lifers here on the forum, we could probably put together enough money to help him rebuild at least partially. I'd ask people to post about it, run news stories about it, donate, whatever you can. I feel strongly that we shouldn't just stand by and shrug while one of our members suffers alone.

I'm living in poverty, and I'm willing to help, are any of you with me? Does someone want to help me set up a gofundme page? I'll donate a dollar to that page the first time each day someone bumps this post. If all of us did that, we could probably really help him out. He's been here on Indietalk for 10 years. If you are willing to donate $1 each day this post gets a comment, say so in the comments.

Edit -

I set up the gofundme page. If anyone can write a better one, feel free to message me. I kept it simple. I did not attach any payout address to the campaign. Once Alcove is back around, I'll get his email address and attach that.

Here is the page

Last edited:
We got the first donation today. I hope over time a lot of you will help chip in. I wish I could do more to help him myself.

I'll try to make a video or similar, and push out some more social media posts. It's about all that I can do.

Last edited:
Thank you for donating Mara, I hope we can all work together to help Alcove out, I really feel bad for him, being in such a terrible situation.

I think about Bob too and the financial ruin he has faced... it's sad and i wish i could help.
Sometimes life kicks you so hard you never fully recover.

He said his losses were over $120,000, I don't think he has a business anymore and I don't think this community is large enough to rebuild his studio. I feel a sense of sadness and powerlessness.

Last edited:
I think about Bob too and the financial ruin he has faced... it's sad and i wish i could help.
Sometimes life kicks you so hard you never fully recover.

He said his losses were over $120,000, I don't think he has a business anymore and I don't think this community is large enough to rebuild his studio. I feel a sense of sadness and powerlessness.
I know we probably can't raise over a hundred grand, but at least he will know we care about what happened to him, and tried our best to help.

And you know, it doesn't cost quite so much to build a studio as it used to. Skill is the big deal, and Alcove's got that in spades, so maybe there is some hope for a comeback. I hope so.

Thanks for donating, I hope he shows up here soon so he can see this. Hopefully it will cheer him up to see so many people wanting to help.

I also wanted to suggest that people share the campaign on Facebook or elsewhere, I'm not sure if anyone outside the forum would help, but you never know. GoFundMe keeps suggesting social media posts to me every time I go to the page to thank contributors, so maybe it's more effective than I think. I posted it where I could, but I avoid social media, so it's of limited use because of my low connection count.

And for newer members reading this, you might want to consider helping Alcove get back on his feet, this guy has been helping everyone he met for 10 years, without ever asking for a dime. A really valuable guy to have around, and an important resource for you musicians and producers out there.

I owe him far more, for the advice he's given me over the last decade (and a bit), than the few bucks I'm able to chip in at the moment.

Alcove, when you see this thread, let us know what next steps you're considering. I work in audio these days and often have clients (usually in Europe but sometimes in the US) looking for non-studio work (even if it's just 'consulting'). Just a thought, always happy to chat.

The gofund me page won't let me donate one dollar at a time like I was planning to do each day, but I gave what I could. Let's all try to keep this post visible for a while so anyone who hasn't seen it yet has an opportunity to support Alcove.

Here is the link again in case anyone has a place they can post it.

A youtube video that gets a lot of traffic, another forum, an instagram that gets some traffic, a facebook group you are part of that has a lot of members, just anywhere you can think of.

I also wonder if anyone has heard from him lately, it's been a while since his last post, and it would be good to know how he is doing. I sent him a message about this, but got no response.

Last edited:
I owe him far more, for the advice he's given me over the last decade (and a bit), than the few bucks I'm able to chip in at the moment.

Alcove, when you see this thread, let us know what next steps you're considering. I work in audio these days and often have clients (usually in Europe but sometimes in the US) looking for non-studio work (even if it's just 'consulting'). Just a thought, always happy to chat.
Thanks for chipping in to help Nick, and really great idea about the work. A lot of modern contracts can be completed on just a computer and a DAW, so maybe some referrals would be helpful. I've often used frontside payments (50% down) to purchase equipment needed for a job, so if any of us could find a mid to large sized audio contract out there, perhaps the advance could cover a new desktop. He should still have any software licenses he bought over the years, and could re download them.

I was looking at the campaign page, and it looks like a few people have indeed shared this on social media, just wanted to thank whoever took the time to do so. I hope it will end up helping Alcove out in some way.

Thanks for sharing this Asher, I really appreciate it. It's good to see that so many people out there are willing to help.

Back