Lol. Okay, so it became official (with signatures on paper) sometime within the last week. But while it wan't technically official, James Cameron plainly stated that he planned to do two sequels, many months ago. I actually kind of admired his sheer honesty when explaining the reasoning. I don't have any direct quotes, but in the (numerous) interviews I read, and/or articles based on those interviews, he stated that it's simply a wise business move.

Such a huge chunk of the budget for "Avatar" went into creating this virtual universe. That's a huge investment to only use once. From a strictly business perspective, it just made sense to make more movies, because such a huge investment won't be needed the second (and third) time around, since the world of Pandora has already been created (and they'll save even more money, shooting them concurrently, which I predict will probably happen). If memory serves me correctly, he made his plans known, even before "Avatar" was in theaters.

After seeing the movie (and falling in love with it), I just don't see how two more movies could do it justice. Then again, this is the same guy that made "Aliens" way better than "Alien", and "T2" way better than "Terminator". As for now, I'm putting faith in him, and I expect a rousing adventure.

He is kinda the master of making sequels way more awesome than the originals.... What I wanna know is, everyone's living happily on Pandora now, no big bad humans (or should I say little), so what's the plot gonna be for each sequel?

He is kinda the master of making sequels way more awesome than the originals.... What I wanna know is, everyone's living happily on Pandora now, no big bad humans (or should I say little), so what's the plot gonna be for each sequel?

It's all speculation, of course, but I think most Avatards, yours truly included, assume that the Skypeople will come back with reinforcements. So, more fighting. Beyond that, who the F knows? I did, however, read an article/interview in which Jimmy C. mentioned how much of an impact one particular audience-member had on his thought-process.

It was down in the Amazon. A group of semi-nomadic, subsistence farmer Native Americans, or something (I don't remember perfectly), were taken to a screening of "Avatar". For most of them, it was their first movie they'd ever see. The plotline of "Avatar" closely resembled a real-life struggle they were in the midst of, with deforestation corporate bad-guys trying to take their land.

Anyway, after the viewing, an elderly lady commented that she enjoyed the movie, but that she didn't like that the matter was solved by violence. To me, this is kinda stating the obvious, but reportedly, it gave Cameron something to ponder. So, my long-whinded story aside, I predict that we'll have lots of fighting and stuff, cuz that just makes for an entertaining blockbuster, but in the very end, peace will triumph.

But that's all pretty cursory. People forget that the first "Avatar" is Jake Sully's story of rebirth, above all else.

P.S. Grand Upper, ppphttlltbltltbbttt! :)

U guys crack me up (Grand Upper/Cracker Funk), i say save the return of the humans for the end of the second movie (to set up the 3rd) and build up the legend of Jack Sully some more, im sure theres enough drama on that planet without humans.

U guys crack me up (Grand Upper/Cracker Funk), i say save the return of the humans for the end of the second movie (to set up the 3rd) and build up the legend of Jack Sully some more, im sure theres enough drama on that planet without humans.

That's a really good idea. Honestly, I like that a lot, as would most Avatards, I think.

But it's JAKE Sully. :)

I've only seen "Avatar" on one occasion.

However, if i was to take an ill-informed educated-guess, i would suggest for the sequel, there may be another prominent inhabitants residing on Pandora, set for an arrival-other than the creatures seen in the first- similar to the Navi, perhaps defeated in a previous war when the land, and times, were not so pure.

What about all the other Na'vi tribes on Pandora? The riders of the plains and the ones at the ocean shores and all that? Do you think they'll play a part in the sequels?

What about all the other Na'vi tribes on Pandora? The riders of the plains and the ones at the ocean shores and all that? Do you think they'll play a part in the sequels?

Very likely, I'd say. Especially since Pandoras oceans keep getting mentioned, makes me think we'll spend a great deal of time away from Home Tree.

Back