• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES

I want to know, what's your top 5 zombie favorites? What zombies from which movies scare you the most?
What do you think they haven't done in a Zombie movie? If you could make a zombie movie, what kind of stuff would you do? What is your favorite things about the genre and what do you think the purpose of a Zombie movie is? Just tell me your take on Zombies!! Everything. I am researching for one of three scripts I am doing pre work on and one of them is a zombie based Screenplay. But more a love story.

My Top 10
1. Shaun of the dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. 28 Days Later
5. Zombie Land
6. Fido
7. Land of the Dead
8. 28 weeks later
9. Dawn of the Dead
10. Dawn of the dead Remake

Hey Cracker Funk, you wrote "I'll bet you would've said the same thing ten years ago. But then they made "28 Days Later". So, you would've added a qualifier, like, "okay 28 Days was good, but seriously, enough with the zombie movies". But then they went and made "Shaun of the Dead" and eventually "Zombieland"."

My response... Ten years ago, I thought it was Zombie Prime! Would have agreed with you on your next comment " There's always room for fresh material." AND I would have added, especially with a big budget and quality acting/directing/writing/etc.

But now, not so much. Honestly, I was bored with Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead... but wanted to see and hear what everyone was talking about. Same with Terror Planet... There were some nice twists and turns, but the horror? Not so much. And we are talking horror genre, right?

Recent thrillers, or mild horror with twists that I thought were kind of fresh were not Zombie films. But well made, with quality pacing, acting, dialogue and casting - I hope to see more of -- but not to the point of redundancy. Thought A Perfect Getaway was quality escapism with nice twists and turns and even a few quality jumps. While many will disagree, I thought Shutter Island had it's psychological moments (like 2003's Identity). And while Drag Me To Hell could disgust and infuriate -- it did take us down a different path of big-budget horror. Zombie films of today, not so much... but that doesn't mean that there won't be another well made one... just be an addition to redundancy and for me "a who cares"...

Take me somewhere I haven't been before...

Big budgeted, well acted with sound scripts DO add greatly to a subject genre (Zombie) that was largely over saturated by low budget indies that followed the same action paths... with same mediocre quality. Maybe it is my age. Maybe it is my reasoned perspective, (or not), but I really don't have that "can't wait for the next Zombie movie" to come-out-of-Hollywood feeling anymore...

But your comment, Cracker Funk, was valid... and recieved with a positive LOL.

I do have a story line. I have 4 different alternative story lines. I am just having problems picking which one. That's where you guys come in. 100 minds is better then one :) So, you guys tell me your ideas, I look at them and compare them to my ideas and choose which one I should use. So, Roc, um, you know, suck a dick lol

There were some nice twists and turns, but the horror? Not so much. And we are talking horror genre, right?

...see, that's the thing. A few nice twists and turns does not a good horror film make.

While many will disagree, I thought Shutter Island had it's psychological moments (like 2003's Identity).

I agree with "Identity". I love when I don't see something coming, and that was after 'The Sixth Sense'. Its great when you can't figure it out until the end. But about "Shutter Island": I SO wanted to love that film. After all, its Scorsese. But when it comes down to it, Alan Parker's "Angel Heart" is done so much better that I was creeped out for a couple of days.

And while Drag Me To Hell could disgust and infuriate ......."a who cares"...

That's exactly what I thought...when I watched it at a friends house for Halloween...:rolleyes:

Take me somewhere I haven't been before...

THAT'S what I'm sayin'!!

I saw a short about a haunted tennis court. Its called "Advantage: Satan" and its on YouTube. It might not be the scariest movie in the world, but its proof that if you try/want to, you can come up with something different.

I stopped watching horror films a long time ago, but started to come back to them when "Hostel" came out. I figure, maybe they'll be good for a laugh (shrug), but scary? Not impressed yet....

-- spinner :cool:

Hey Spinner, Scorsese! Wanted to like Shutter too. Can't say I hated it. Just dissapointed. Did any see A Perfect Getaway? While I did figure the ending halfway through, (there are witnesses), I did enjoy every aspect of the quality B(+) film it was. Will check out the You Tube clip Advatage Satan. K OReilly, Zombie Strippers? Bored with Zombies but will give it shot just to be open minded... in the next few weeks.

Never saw The Perfect Getaway, but I'll look for it. Watch Angel Heart. Creepier than Shutter Island.

Advantage: Satan isn't a zombie film. Its an example of coming up with another kind of scary film without taking the expected route. i.e. - scary house, scary woods, scary killer with a BIG knife. Oooh! I'm so scared. Can we put a cat in the kitchen cupboard so he can jump out at the opportune time? That will be really scary. :hmm:

The point is: come up with something different. By the way: "Fido" was on last night. My pet zombie.:rolleyes:

Spinner, I own Angel Heart (DVD) also had it on VHS. I call it classic Satanic Film Noir. Still think The Ninth Gate (another Satanic movie of mention) is well done as well. The House of the Devil was great for a recent moderate budget (seen some of the ideas before though). But lets go in new directions... (huh?) the devil is a very old boogy man and I don't buy into religion.

It's called A Perfect Getaway. Hell of a great acting cast, (many up and coming actors). Great cinematography too.

Lets push the envelop into NEW concepts of what is horror & the horror genre... it is where I try to go. Zombies, not so much.

I took a look at The Perfect Getaway. It looks a little like Turistas.

Who was it who said: "Hell is other people". Could have been Stephen King, but then it could have been Woody Allen....

.....ah, it was Sarte, French existentialist. Ain't Wikipedia great :D

The Ring is just a Jap remake and those types of stories are far from new. They are good but just not new.

If you like Jap horror and if you don't I don't want to know you :) you should check out:
Battle Royal
Dial D for Demon
Suicide Club
Infection
Ichi the Killer

and so many more maybe Jap horror should get its own thread.

Really?

Man - I still get scared that a little girl with scraggly black hair is going to jump out at me at night - never seen anything like that or something that disturbed me like that.

Ichi and Visitor Q are classics. Gotta love Takashi Miike.

I love Asian cinema across the board (various genres) from North and South K, Japan, Thai, Phil, China.

Where does one even begin when it comes to describing that whole universe?

I agree that it could have its own thread.

-Thanks-

I agree, Japanese horror should get it's own thread. I like the many that I have seen. Add The Black House to all the above Japanese horror movie lists. Ringu was well done... for its time. American remakes tend to loose something in the translation... Still think Audition is the master creep out! Just sneaks up and creeps you out...

Back