• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES

I want to know, what's your top 5 zombie favorites? What zombies from which movies scare you the most?
What do you think they haven't done in a Zombie movie? If you could make a zombie movie, what kind of stuff would you do? What is your favorite things about the genre and what do you think the purpose of a Zombie movie is? Just tell me your take on Zombies!! Everything. I am researching for one of three scripts I am doing pre work on and one of them is a zombie based Screenplay. But more a love story.

My Top 10
1. Shaun of the dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. 28 Days Later
5. Zombie Land
6. Fido
7. Land of the Dead
8. 28 weeks later
9. Dawn of the Dead
10. Dawn of the dead Remake

It is a timeless classic like It's a Wonderful Life

/detail pickiness mode

Hmm. The initial release of It's a Wonderful Life was a flop. It was a big disappointment and confirmed to the studios that Capra was no longer capable of turning out good films.

So, if it took 54 years for It's a Wonderful Life to play 24/7 around Christmas time, then I give 28 Days Later 27 years to reach this status based off how well it did and how good it is, because it sure has a hell of a jumpstart on IAWL. =)

Is Night of the Living Dead the one where the guys are inside a shopping mall? Or is that Dawn of the Dead?

“They’re coming to get you Barbara.”

I like the colorized version of Night of the Living Dead (Night of the Flesh Eaters) too.

* I just threw Evil Dead and 2 (Curse/Possession/Undead) in there for sake of horror filmmaking ‘must see’, not Zombie fare. Dark humor aside, I don’t even know how to describe Evil Dead’s style, but what a fun ride.

-Thanks-

Is Night of the Living Dead the one where the guys are inside a shopping mall? Or is that Dawn of the Dead?

I suspect you only saw the remake version of Dawn of the Dead.

Dark humor aside, I don’t even know how to describe Evil Dead’s style, but what a fun ride.

For sure! The sad part is they will probably remake that one too and its style is what made it great.

Last edited:
Maybe there can be a remake/mix between 28 Days Later AND It’s a Wonderful Life, where George Bailey returns to a desolate Zombie infected Bedford Falls.

It’d make for one hell of a Christmas.

-Thanks-

The only thing about 28 days later, is the people aren't really zombies. They are infected with Rage, a Rabies for humans. They aren't dead. You can find out for yourself if your don't believe. But, I still consider is a zombie movie, mainly becuase Zombies weren't considered the living dead until Night of the Living Dead was released. Before that, they were people who were hypnotized. So, zombie is one of three things. So, really, who gives a fuck. I love them all. Plan on making mine a new a fresh take on zombies.

Wow, I can't believe this was said.

The above, of course, was in reference to my statement about "28 Days Later" being the only horror movie ever made, in which we actually care about the heroes.

Okay, you're right. That was a stupid thing to say. Let me rephrase it.

"28 Days Later" is the only horror movie made in modern times (say...the last 25 years?) in which we care about the heroes. And by "we", I mean "I".

I don't think "Zombieland", "Shaun of the Dead", "Serpeant and the Rainbow", "Silence of the Lambs", "Sixth Sense", or a multitude of other movies in which we do care about the characters really count as "horror". I'd be curious to hear some examples of how I'm wrong, if you disagree.

Or, if we can't completely agree, I'm sure we can agree that in recent decades, characters we can latch onto is a quality that is extremely rare in horror.

@Cracker: P Hilton in House of Wax.

The girl from the Blairwitch Project.

M Fox in her recent horror flick.

Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror.

The Hills Have Eyes 6.

Leperchaun 8.

Those were all genuinely deep characters in which you were sucked in and totally enthralled with and cared so much about... Great acting. Great writing. You really cared about them in those movies.

lol

It takes good acting to run around and fake being scared by wax museum manikins... She should have won the academy award. Who is this Meryl chick I keep hearing about? Give it up for P Hilton - she's one of the most prolific artists of the century.

Who else can buy themselves into a record label and convince a mixer to record her songs?

But, I digress...

Zombies. Zombies zombies zombies.

I like the movies because of the feeling of desperation and the fact that they are so slow and clumsy that when people get caught and eaten by them it's so frustrating.

Last edited:
I don't think "Zombieland", "Shaun of the Dead", "Serpeant and the Rainbow", "Silence of the Lambs", "Sixth Sense", or a multitude of other movies in which we do care about the characters really count as "horror".

I wish that you were joking but I have a feeling that you're not. So please let me ask, what characters in film constitute them to be "horror characters"?

I'd be curious to hear some examples of how I'm wrong, if you disagree.

Here is a small list of films with in the 25 years which characters seemed to be cared about by the audience.

Evil Dead II
The Others
Jacob's Labber
Scream
The Descent
The Ring
The Fly
Seven
Misery
Aliens

But I will admit, more often then not the horror films in the last decade have had weak characters and stories. But do I blame the studios or the writers for this? Heck no, if the audience is going to pay for crap then I say shovel it at them.

Only you can prevent forest fires.

I wish that you were joking but I have a feeling that you're not. So please let me ask, what characters in film constitute them to be "horror characters"?

Here is a small list of films with in the 25 years which characters seemed to be cared about by the audience.

Evil Dead II
The Others
Jacob's Labber
Scream
The Descent
The Ring
The Fly
Seven
Misery
Aliens

Okay, this is all making sense. I think you and I mostly see eye-to-eye on these movies. And the only source of our disagreement is how you define the "horror" genre. I'm afraid I haven't seen "Evil Dead 2". But of those others on your list, I would classify them as "thriller". "The Descent" and "Aliens" are debatable -- I guess you could call them "horror".

EDIT: "Scream" is definitely "horror". I meant to say that above.

Of all those movies on your list, with the exception of the one I haven't seen, I do feel like those movies did a very good job building characters I could care about, so we're in perfect agreement there. The only one I'd take exception with is "Scream". It's a terrific movie -- good scares, good laughs. But I didn't care when anybody died. The bad guys could've won, and it wouldn't have ruined my movie-watching-experience at all. In "28 Days Later", however, I would've walked out of the theater quite disappointed, and even saddened perhaps, had our heroes not prevailed.

Ultimately, who cares how you classify a movie? I think it's a testament to the strength of those movies you mentioned that we can debate which genre they fall into.

But I will admit, more often then not the horror films in the last decade have had weak characters and stories. But do I blame the studios or the writers for this? Heck no, if the audience is going to pay for crap then I say shovel it at them.

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Well said. It's unfortunate that movies like "Final Destination 4" are the norm and not the exception, but it seems that's what the kids want.

To Cracker and wriding:

Don't you know what happened? Get your film history brushed up a bit. This is exactly what happened to the film industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRd8JOyYlM

Les Grossman said it himself. Teens love a**. And that's what they'll get.

I heard that, too. It's genius.

Ludacris would probably be in it.

"200 million domestic, b****" lol

I digress again, I apologize.

How about them Zombies?

When are they going to make "Crepiscule of the Dead"? Or "Equinox of the Dead"?

Or maybe get Taylor and Robby to do "Twilight of the Dead"..

Last edited:
George A remero's nex t movie should be called Twilight of the Dead. Not to shabby. The shit he is coming out with is just.... shit. But, still entertaining. Keep the comments coming, for some reason, Zombies are oh so entertaining. I hope to create me own vision of Zombies, turning the outside into what we are on the inside. Monsters. Lol. I really am having a hard time though on some characters.

If I were to have a movie about a couple who barracaded themselves in a house and wait for help. And one by one, the things they take for granted and the things we depend on cut out. Such as; TV, Radio, Heat, Water, electricty etc., And they slowly slip into madness, with only their love tieing the binds. And if the script were to be 80 pages or a little over, should I have any other characters? Maybe a dog, or some other survivors? If so, what kind of survivors, how long into the Script and what conflicts should arise from this.

Come on, you guys are Zombie Genius's, you can think of something. lol.

Castaway was written with 3 hours of Tom Hanks and a volley-ball.

I am Legend had a dog and some zombie that looked like Woody Harrelson.

Come on. You're going to have to pay me money for doctoring your own script. Can't you make some good story lines up yourself?

How about like Zombweed: (Dawn of the Brain Dead) where a government agency experiments with their insidious new formula minus 420 virus (which turns those who inhale it into weed hungry zombie fiends... more so than they normally are). Meanwhile Skimpy and Dank (The only dealers in the small area) have just rolled back into town (with a QP of killer) only to discover “You-have.. Six-Hundred -and- Eighty-Three - new messages.”, so every burn out in town (The Mayor, Teachers, Their Parents) are looking to score some bud anyway they can -and because Skimpy and Dank would never just waste the weed.. not only are they trapped, but they’re forced to smoke it all at the same time.

Then The Munchies or Cotton Mouth is the sequel.

-Thanks-

Back