• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES

I want to know, what's your top 5 zombie favorites? What zombies from which movies scare you the most?
What do you think they haven't done in a Zombie movie? If you could make a zombie movie, what kind of stuff would you do? What is your favorite things about the genre and what do you think the purpose of a Zombie movie is? Just tell me your take on Zombies!! Everything. I am researching for one of three scripts I am doing pre work on and one of them is a zombie based Screenplay. But more a love story.

My Top 10
1. Shaun of the dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. 28 Days Later
5. Zombie Land
6. Fido
7. Land of the Dead
8. 28 weeks later
9. Dawn of the Dead
10. Dawn of the dead Remake

We are working on a zombie film currently ," Dr. Zombie" , Our zombies have the freshly dead look , Kind of like the first " Resident Evil " they stumble around slowly until they hear/see their victim .You can check out some of our pic's on our myspace page ,we are under Sikandtwisted Films. I personally like night of the living dead The 1968 version as well as the 1994 remake , Resident Evil Trilogy are great , Return of the living dead are killer especially #2, Zombie strippers is great , and who could forget "Fido" if you have not seen it ,you need to. Good luck on your project ,if you ever need anything we could help with , please do not hesitate to give us a holler

I've never seen a zombie film, but I do like that episode of Sliders where they are on a world that has turned into zombies because of a diet pill. :P Love that show.

You gotta see at least ONE. I'd recommend either "28 Days Later" or "Zombieland".

"28 Days Later" is the only zombie flick ever made -- nay, the only horror movie ever made -- in which we actually care about our heroes. By the end of the movie, we really like these guys, and when the shit hits the fan, our emotional investment makes the climactic finale so much more meaningful. And, whoah, is it one hell of a climactic finale -- 30 minutes of relentless teeth-clenching, armchair-gripping uneasy madness.

Yeah, I was planning on giving you a couple reasons why you might choose "Zombieland" instead, but then I convinced myself that you need to just watch "28 Days Later".

FYI -- "Zombieland" is funny as shit. Road-trip movie meets coming-of-age meets zombies.

I don’t have a top 5, or even favorite one, but if I had to choose one, then 1968’s Night of the Living Dead.

Other fun stuff:

I like the cheese to seeming budget ratio of Hide and Creep.
(I wish they did and hope they do a sequel.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knIqv9L-sW8

I love Jesse Blanchard’s low budget short Run For Your Life
(Which was selected by George Romero to be included with the Diary of the Dead DVD.)

http://www.vimeo.com/10007746

And of course Sonny’s Horrors of War
(I just watched it a few weeks or something as a matter of fact. I find it a cool indie filmmaker’s kind of film.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvsf4HpILI&feature=related

-Thanks-

Last edited:
1st off Sliders is one of my 5 top sci fi shows ever!

2nd I can only pick 10 zombie movies? Well if that's the case I'm not gonna number them since I dont want to think about what I like better and all that right now. Been up way to long to think like that.

A)Night of the living Dead (Romero)
B)Dawn of the Dead(Romero)
C)Day of the Dead (Romero)
D)Diary of the Dead(Romero)
E)Dead and Deader
F)Shaun of the Dead
G)Undead
H)Zombi2
I)Zombieland
J)Mutant Vampire Zombies from the 'Hood!

I am so tired of 'zombie' movies. Tired of even the subject. But, my two cents. Romero made the first contemporary styled zombie movie -- Night of the Living Dead. 28 Weeks later was the most realistic. For grind house quality, Terror Planet was the best cliched and 'cover' of them all. Shawn Of The Dead, Fido and Zombieland had laughs. But enough. Move on. Horror genre has so many directions of FRESH creativity to move towards. BP's oil leak has the basis for such creativity. Tea bagger's can really bring the horror out of our society for both humor and the true horror of ignorance and stupidity. Horror is escapism... but it is an escapism based upon our daily grind and the best of 'horror' is that which captures such. Science in and of itself does not make the horror -- we do as a civilization, how we use science and from with in our culture history. The best bogey men are us. The best of horror is that which succeeds in exposing the mirror and the reflection that we see.
Sorry, my two cents... I do tend to ramble when I haven't polished the script or edited the footage.

You gotta see at least ONE. I'd recommend either "28 Days Later" or "Zombieland".

"28 Days Later" is the only zombie flick ever made -- nay, the only horror movie ever made -- in which we actually care about our heroes. By the end of the movie, we really like these guys, and when the shit hits the fan, our emotional investment makes the climactic finale so much more meaningful. And, whoah, is it one hell of a climactic finale -- 30 minutes of relentless teeth-clenching, armchair-gripping uneasy madness.

Yeah, I was planning on giving you a couple reasons why you might choose "Zombieland" instead, but then I convinced myself that you need to just watch "28 Days Later".

FYI -- "Zombieland" is funny as shit. Road-trip movie meets coming-of-age meets zombies.

Is 28 Days Later scary? I honestly cannot watch a scary movie. I won't sleep for days. So I have avoided the whole horror/suspense/paranormal/thriller genre.

The scariest thing I've seen was Scream (which I like, but have to watch with someone else and during the day, lol). I know, I'm a wussy.

@Buck, I know! Sliders is right up there with TNG and VOY for me. After posting about it I ended up watching an ep last night. So much fun!

Have you ever thought of just watching like Jaws and The Exorcist to short out that fear block? Everything else (Those included) is just manipulating audio and shot framing tactics to build tension with what you don’t see, and cheap ways to startle or gross you out with fake blood and guts when you do see it. It gets old really fast, and seeing through the lens of filmmaking consideration, a lot of times it’s just plain silly. The reason I ask is because there ARE some cool things to see, like Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 for example (And 28 Days Later), you might love them.

-Thanks-

Is 28 Days Later scary? I honestly cannot watch a scary movie. I won't sleep for days. So I have avoided the whole horror/suspense/paranormal/thriller genre.

The scariest thing I've seen was Scream (which I like, but have to watch with someone else and during the day, lol). I know, I'm a wussy.

@Buck, I know! Sliders is right up there with TNG and VOY for me. After posting about it I ended up watching an ep last night. So much fun!

"28 Days Later" is very, very, very scary.

Okay, maybe you should watch "Zombieland". Or, if you prefer Brittish humor, "Shaun of the Dead". Both are very gory, but not scary. I prefer "Zombieland", but that's only because I prefer broad-sided American humor. Both are very funny.

I am so tired of 'zombie' movies. Tired of even the subject. But, my two cents. Romero made the first contemporary styled zombie movie -- Night of the Living Dead. 28 Weeks later was the most realistic. For grind house quality, Terror Planet was the best cliched and 'cover' of them all. Shawn Of The Dead, Fido and Zombieland had laughs. But enough. Move on. Horror genre has so many directions of FRESH creativity to move towards. BP's oil leak has the basis for such creativity. Tea bagger's can really bring the horror out of our society for both humor and the true horror of ignorance and stupidity. Horror is escapism... but it is an escapism based upon our daily grind and the best of 'horror' is that which captures such. Science in and of itself does not make the horror -- we do as a civilization, how we use science and from with in our culture history. The best bogey men are us. The best of horror is that which succeeds in exposing the mirror and the reflection that we see.
Sorry, my two cents... I do tend to ramble when I haven't polished the script or edited the footage.

I'll bet you would've said the same thing ten years ago. But then they made "28 Days Later". So, you would've added a qualifier, like, "okay 28 Days was good, but seriously, enough with the zombie movies". But then they went and made "Shaun of the Dead" and eventually "Zombieland".

There's always room for fresh material. By your logic, we might as well stop making movies, completely, because there's RARELY a movie that's unlike a million others before it. And yet, people keep finding ways to make the old new.

I'm shocked. Shocked that there's no mention of Dead Alive.

I think, at least with Romero, his first zombie films did a great job of slowly building up tension and sense of impending doom and then releasing all hell at the end rather than relying on cheap scare tactics. The first 28 Days Later was good, but I was sorely disappointed with Romero's efforts from Land of the Dead on. Survival was horrible.

Have you ever thought of just watching like Jaws and The Exorcist to short out that fear block? Everything else (Those included) is just manipulating audio and shot framing tactics to build tension with what you don’t see, and cheap ways to startle or gross you out with fake blood and guts when you do see it. It gets old really fast, and seeing through the lens of filmmaking consideration, a lot of times it’s just plain silly. The reason I ask is because there ARE some cool things to see, like Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 for example (And 28 Days Later), you might love them.

-Thanks-

I think you were replying to my post, but apologies if I assumed wrong.

Things like Jaws and Exorcist scare me the most. Blood and guts have never bothered me. I don't mind the gore that was in, say, Saving Private Ryan or Elizabeth. What scares me the most is the kind of stuff that could be real, or at least is portrayed in a way that makes it feel like the real world. Vampire movies don't scare me usually since it's so unrealistic. Maybe zombie movies would be the same way, but I've avoided them none-the-less.

I even hate it when I'm in a theater and I see a preview for a scary movie. A few years ago I remember seeing the trailer to Secret Window in a theater and I was up all night. Thanks a lot Johnny Depp.

But in the interest of being open-minded. I'll try watching one of the 'lighter' zombie movies mentioned. :) I've heard Shawn of the Dead was good from other people/places as well, maybe I'll netflix it. I've definitely run out of good comedies to watch ;)

I'm shocked. Shocked that there's no mention of Dead Alive.

I think, at least with Romero, his first zombie films did a great job of slowly building up tension and sense of impending doom and then releasing all hell at the end rather than relying on cheap scare tactics. The first 28 Days Later was good, but I was sorely disappointed with Romero's efforts from Land of the Dead on. Survival was horrible.

For me thats not a Zombie movie but more of just a messed up monster movie.

Shaun of the Dea all the way. It's the smartest Zombie film since night if the Living Dead. It's humor surpasses Zombieland by far. Zombie land, in my opinion, is funny, but stupid funny. Shaun of the Dead, and their writers, threw in every literary device ever created. Lol. Especially repitition and Foreshadowing. If you break Shaun of the dead down, and Hot Fuzz, you will see how brilliant the film really is.

Hot fuzz is great, almost better.

But, I am writing a zombie film right now, and wanted to hear everyones opinions. Why do you like zombie films, what hasent been done yet?

1. Night of the Living Dead (original)
2. Dawn of the Dead (original)
3. Re-Animator
4. Return of the Living Dead
5. Shaun of the Dead
6. Day of the Dead (I don't think they made a remake, yet)
7. Zombie
8. The Serpent and the Rainbow
9. Nosferatu
10. Burial Ground

"28 Days Later" is the only zombie flick ever made -- nay, the only horror movie ever made -- in which we actually care about our heroes.

Wow, I can't believe this was said.

Here are just a few reasons Night of the Living Dead is more then the best zombie film of all times.

- Budget/Box office - From Wiki - "George Romero completed the film on a USD$114,000 budget, and after a decade (the 70's people!) of cinematic re-releases, it grossed some $12 million domestically and $30 million internationally." This is not including VHS, DVD, Laser Disc, Downloads, rentals, TV/commercials, etc. This film has to of grossed in well over 100 million by now. It is a timeless classic like The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life and The Ten Commandments, every Halloween you can find it playing on some channel.

- The first film to bring what we would call "gore" to the screen.

- This film featured one of the first black hero in all of cinema. While the Civil Rights movements were going on this film showed off a black actor as a hero! With in an all white cast! Nuff said!

EDIT:

Why didn't anyone mention the Pet Cemetary franchise?

Because it does not beat out any of the movies I mentioned above. Also, it (the first one ONLY) was a fair horror movie (maybe good) but it was not great.

EDIT 2: I did not include The Evil Dead because I look at that as more of a possession film like The Exorcist. But if I did include it I would put 1 and 2 up there and high up on the list.

Last edited:
Back