Why Ebert Hates 3-D

We are on the cusp of something great here, we're not talking about blue and red lenses anymore, we're talking full colour, bi focal 3D. It's beautiful. Sure it may disappear for a few years until the next big 3D breakthrough occurs but this step is as vital for its future as Jurrassic Park was for CGI.

It didn't really look good to me. It didn't envelop me. It was dull.

Maybe it's where I was sitting. I was sitting where the mixer sits when he mixes a film - center of the theater.

Perhaps if I sat closer to the screen.. Chris Boyes (mixer of Avatar) said when they did the listen-down to the movie he sat really close to the screen to get a better 3-D effect...

But they did something right this time.. There is a small difference between the successes of "My Bloody Valentine 3-D" and "Avatar". :cool:

Firstly i'd like to say that the introduction of 3D and the fact that it's made it "out of reach of indie film makers" is a good thing.

But it's not out of reach, for those who really want to make a film in 3D. :huh:

Gah, if people put half as much time into preparing to make it, instead of summoning up obstacles to prove they can't, the film would be half-done already.

Whether or not you should film in 3D is an entirely different issue, of course. :)

But they did something right this time.. There is a small difference between the successes of "My Bloody Valentine 3-D" and "Avatar".

Many, many, many, many millions more spent on promotion, and a PG-13 rating that got every kid in America to talk his parents into taking him. As far as the quality of the actual film, My Bloody Valentine is way better. Though the 3D in Avatar is better for sure.

So true, Gonz.

I thought you might like this article about how James is re-releasing Titanic in 3-D:

http://mashable.com/2010/03/15/titanic-3d/

Hey, he and George Lucas have every right to flog the dead horse of their past successes if they want. Hell I'm as money grubbing a lowlife as the next producer. I'd do the same. That being said, I only made it 25 minutes into Titanic the first time, so maybe 3D would get me to watch the whole thing.

My .0000000000000000002

I think this is an interesting part of a whole we haven't seen yet. With this talk(and a couple of people on these forums have posted as such)about "interactive" movies (making decisions though a phone call to a person in the audience to make a decision about what the character should do), and 3D televisions being made-the idea of the totally immersive "roleplaying movie" isn't that far off IMO.

I haven't had the chance to see the new technology much (I haven't seen Avatar. Saw Coraline in 3D, that was nifty).

I think the studios are investing scads of dough, and I do think this is the next "evolution" as it were in filmgoing. I don't see it as a fad-I do think it's here to stay (again, for better or worse is another discussion).

I think "choose your own adventure" movies are already out there...

Played a recent role-playing video game?

The production quality of video games are nearly the quality of movies IMO.. And when they get graphic engines as good as Pixar or other movie CGI, forget about it. We'll have a human race that stays home all day and doesn't do anything anymore sort of like wall-e or surrogates.

But, back on topic, 3-D TVs didn't look very good at NAB.

And some of the cameras were affordable ;)

My .0000000000000000002

I think this is an interesting part of a whole we haven't seen yet. With this talk(and a couple of people on these forums have posted as such)about "interactive" movies (making decisions though a phone call to a person in the audience to make a decision about what the character should do), and 3D televisions being made-the idea of the totally immersive "roleplaying movie" isn't that far off IMO.

I haven't had the chance to see the new technology much (I haven't seen Avatar. Saw Coraline in 3D, that was nifty).

I think the studios are investing scads of dough, and I do think this is the next "evolution" as it were in filmgoing. I don't see it as a fad-I do think it's here to stay (again, for better or worse is another discussion).

Studios (this is coming from an employee of the biggest DVD distributor in the country) are all about format change. Anything (Video to DVD, DVD to Blue Ray, Blue Ray to 3D Blue Ray) starts their cash registers ringing. Theatrical release is chump change in the big picture of things. That's why we have seen the windows continue to shorten between theatrical release and DVD release. They want that money NOW. So I have no doubt they will be 100% behind any potential technology that would bring 3D home as it would allow them to repackage their catalog in 3D and resell it.

Great topic OP. Discussion explosion! Just like to add that I'm on the fringe of my peers as I disagree with most of Eberts reviews. Probably because I'm a punk rocker at heart and like to reject anything I see as"inside the box".

God, but I don't know...I do see the market driven side of it all too and the formate switching solely for the cause of more money...I guess I'm a bit tore on the subject. But over all I'm all for pushing the state of the art.

And for the record I loved Avatar, but have never seen Titanic.

Im waiting for wetware upgrade. Jack me in baby!

If home 3d takes off (lots of big consumer companies putting some money in it) and once your crackbary phone comes with a 3d option, and your new iPod 10g with 3d enabled screen, 3d enabled contact lenses are right around the corner. Combined with flexible display tech that is right around the corner, once we get over our resistance to implants Ill finally get that memory upgrade and be able to remember all my kids birthdays.. (three in may)

3D is like bell bottoms, in today and out tomorrow.

I will disagree on this premise:

TV manufacturers are putting out "3D" televisons now for 3-4 grand or more. I believe they wouldn't invest in that unless they KNEW that there was going to be more, and not less 3D from the studios. Television studios are experimenting right now with 3D in thier shows-Sports are putting money into 3D.

Just about every big budget genre feature and animation over the 2-3 years at least has gone 3D. Avatar alone I think has driven the technology forward. This isn't "let's just divide the screen into red and blue" anymore, 3D is BIG BIG business.

3D is here to stay IMO-too much money to be made.

Last edited:
I will disagree on this premise:

TV manufacturers are putting out "3D" televisons now for 3-4 grand or more. I believe they wouldn't invest in that unless they KNEW that there was going to be more, and not less 3D from the studios. Television studios are experimenting right now with 3D in thier shows-Sports are putting money into 3D.

Just about every big budget genre feature and animation over the 2-3 years at least has gone 3D. Avatar alone I think has driven the technology forward. This isn't "let's just divide the screen into red and blue" anymore, 3D is BIG BIG business.

3D is here to stay IMO-too much money to be made.

Maybe so, I mean, 3D was successful back in the 50's and thank goodness we've been watching so many 3D movies over the last 50 years. As for the TV scenario, I guess all these people whom are pinching pennies and have high debt because they bought their 50' flat screen HDTV’s for several grand will run out to purchase a new 3D TV.

I do agree they are throwing a lot of money at an old concept which only worked as a gimmick in the past. But timing is everything in film and my belief, this is not the time to try and sucker the public to buy new technology. I view it as the next Neo Geo video game console, way over priced along with its accessories. But hey, what do I know, I'm not on this forum because I'm an economics major. Maybe start investing in it now and make a bunch of cash if you’re that confident. That would be the smart thing to do. ; )

I believe they wouldn't invest in that unless they KNEW that there was going to be more, and not less 3D from the studios.
I wonder if there has ever been an investment in technology
that didn't pan out. Where they KNEW there was going to be
demand but there wasn't.

I wonder if there has ever been an investment in technology
that didn't pan out. Where they KNEW there was going to be
demand but there wasn't.

I have quite the HD-DVD collection. :)

3D won't just be for movies and televisions. 3D stereoscopic computer gaming is poised for a comeback. It's only a matter of time before it hits the consoles. The interactive possibilities are endless with gesture recognition in three dimensions.

It won't be long before the guy sitting next to you on the plane is wearing shutter glasses, watching Avatar in 3D on his laptop, or typing and gesturing to thin air in order to complete that presentation.

And all that wonderful gesture recognition and spatial tracking technology will come in handy once we reach the next milestone: holographic projection. :yes:

What made the 3D succesful in "Avatar" was the fact that it wasn't gimmicky. There was nothing popping out at you. It was done in a way that made it feel like someone had cut a big hole in the wall of the movie theater, and you were watching something that was really happening, just on the other side of that hole in the wall. I think the best testament to Cameron's version of 3D is that if you let yourself go, you forget that you're watching 3D -- it just feels natural.

I know that shallow depth of field is a very important filmmaking tool. In fact, it's one that I wish I could use (my "prosumer"-level miniDV camera will do nothing of the sort). However, shallow depth of field does not accurately match what our eyes do in real life.

Why (as a general rule of thumb) is a dolly shot better than a zoom shot? Because it more closely matches what we experience in real life. Our eyes don't zoom. Moving the camera is like moving your eyes (by walking somewhere else).

In real life, unless you're vision is jacked up, everything is in focus. There's no such thing as depth-of-field for our eyes. So, by making something 3D, and putting everything in focus, you make this fake fantasy-world a more accurate representation of what our eyes naturally digest. I feel that this tool, when used right, can help break down that wall of disbelief. I believe that 3D technology is a really good tool to allow the audience to use their imagination, let go of their inhibitions, and allow themselves to be swallowed up into this fantasy world.

THAT is what Cameron did right. Plus, he told a beautiful story, and threw in some really cool action sequences.

I think it's rather insulting to the overwhelming number of people who saw this movie, and loved it, to infer that the it's only value is in the visuals. Are we fans of "Avatar" really that stupid? Visual "oohs and ahhs" cannot sustain interest over the course of nearly 3 hours. There's got to be an appealing story there, for people to sit through that, and walk out satisfied enough to recommend it to everyone they know. That movie had crazy legs. It did not make $2.7 billion dollars because of advertising. If you think that's the case, I'm sorry but you have no clue about analyzing box-office results. Advertising primarily affects openning weekend only; after that, it's word-of-mouth. Even a good movie will drop 50% week-to-week. Really bad movies will drop 70%. "Avatar" didn't open that big. But then, for three months, it dropped a mere 20% each week. That's unheard of. It simply doesn't happen. Except for this one time, with this little movie about people on a boat that crashes.

I don't care what you think about Cameron; you don't have to like his movies. But give the audience some credit. It has been well-established that general audiences are suckers for advertising and big-name actors, and those two factors alone can produce big openning-weekend dollars. But for a movie to have legs, you need to tell a good story, and "Avatar" has legs like all other filmmakers can only dream of.

And 3D is here to stay.

If you don't mind me saying Cracker F, everyone whom suggested I should watch Avatar did so because of the visual and not the story. And I live in the LA area. All of these folks who suggested to see the film were split about the story, they either felt it was good or fair (no one said it was a bad story though).

Obviously 3D will be in the theaters for a while. How long? I couldn't tell you and anyone’s opinion is just a guess because it’s up to the public to decide. For the many years I've been on this earth I tend to agree with the theory, "History always repeats itself".

So I will agree with Roger on his points which started this article in the first place.

I do see wridingrlm's points, and they are valid, so I hope you don't get me wrong :) Like anything these days, one wants to see how things lay out (for the record I am saving for a 40 inch 1080 NON 3D TV)-and that is one of my bones of contention-I don't like the idea of watching tv with sunglasses on all the time, and that's where I DO wonder how sales will be until they can release "glasses free" television.

Also saving, not putting on credit card-I will own it OUTRIGHT (where I live you can buy a 40 inch 1080 at some places for under 700 dollars-I figure that number will be down to around 4-500 by Boxing Day:D)

But I see your point about spending money you don't have.

Back on topic, I just see it, as VPturner pointed out, it's going further, not just TV but videogames. I think that this, combined with the "choose your own path" technologies being developed, that movies/tv/games are going to be meant down the road to be a total immersive experience, an advanced "virtual reality" if you will (just my opinion).

I love these boards is we can disagree without blowing each other apart :)

Back