movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

yeah the action was great. not entirely balanced, certain characters have plot armor in the fights.. but visually epic

Yeah that kinda ruined it for me. while the fights looked great, as expected from a marvel movie. they just felt kind of empty to me. like there was no chance anyone could actually die at any point in the fights.

Us 8/10
Just a solid movie overall. Good unsettling vibe that builds to a thrilling conclusion. Loved the family dynamic. It was like an 80s film in that regard. They were well established as individuals and a family. They reminded me a little of the family in Poltergeist in that regard.

US 5/10

I genuinely like Jordan Peeles style and loved 'get out' but I'm worried hes doing a shyamalan, his first film had a cool twist you didn't see coming but I figure this one out in 10 minutes which wouldn't be bad except so much seemed forced to make it like that - though the bigger issue is it had plot holes you could steer the titanic through... after I left the more I think about it there more there's huge plot points that make no sense and are impossible

at least its not just jump scares though

US 5/10

I genuinely like Jordan Peeles style and loved 'get out' but I'm worried hes doing a shyamalan, his first film had a cool twist you didn't see coming but I figure this one out in 10 minutes which wouldn't be bad except so much seemed forced to make it like that - though the bigger issue is it had plot holes you could steer the titanic through... after I left the more I think about it there more there's huge plot points that make no sense and are impossible

at least its not just jump scares though

yeah US had some stuff that made literally no sense at all

tethered woman is getting closer so ... a sports game goes to 11 innings? Wtf lol those athletes have nothing to do with these characters

The OA
This show is like watching lorde dance for the first time.
It's so bizarre and awkward that it's captivating and you cant look away.

I thought for sure season 2 would go off the rails but it manages to be just weird enough without going overboard.

4/5

The OA
This show is like watching lorde dance for the first time.
It's so bizarre and awkward that it's captivating and you cant look away.

I thought for sure season 2 would go off the rails but it manages to be just weird enough without going overboard.

4/5

That bizarre and awkward part you mentioned hooked me . Last year I wanted to give this show a shot. but having watched some of Brit Marling's movies ( "The east" especially) I got second thoughts since most of the movies she plays in are really depressing stuff. What about this show? Is it depressing?

That bizarre and awkward part you mentioned hooked me . Last year I wanted to give this show a shot. but having watched some of Brit Marling's movies ( "The east" especially) I got second thoughts since most of the movies she plays in are really depressing stuff. What about this show? Is it depressing?

young blind girl disappeared years ago.. but now she's back and she can see now but she wont tell anyone what happened to her. the mystery unfolds and even the title of the show "oa" is something to be revealed so any specifics might dampen your experience.

most of the episodes revolve around her time when she was missing and it's not a soft life she had, there are some sadistic parts but it's not a feel-bad show. holding on to hope is a theme

young blind girl disappeared years ago.. but now she's back and she can see now but she wont tell anyone what happened to her. the mystery unfolds and even the title of the show "oa" is something to be revealed so any specifics might dampen your experience.

most of the episodes revolve around her time when she was missing and it's not a soft life she had, there are some sadistic parts but it's not a feel-bad show. holding on to hope is a theme

Sadistic I can handle . gonna start it tonight. thx.:thumbsup:

await further instruction 3/10

im being nice there maybe, it was different so I give it that (I appreciate it tried something new) but really it was so all over the place, nothing is explained and your like ok what just happened... is it a metaphor for being controlled by media? is it an alien? is it a 'god'? why is it fucking with everyone?
they put in so many twists and turns that its like multiple stories sewn together randomly

OA

Since the 2 seasons are tonally different I rate them separately.

Season 1 . 7/10

The concept for the first season feels more original than the second one though the vibe is really bleak.
That end reveal where they find illiad and other books named after the characters was such a bummer for me, cause it reduced the story to just a mere hallucination of OA as a coping mechanism. I'd given it a higher score hadn't it been for that disappointing ending. hopefully it is all later explained in the second season and makes it alright again. It was a mixture of "Old boy" and "Lost". But some decision makings by the characters were just dumb and some of them were hard sells

Season 2 . 8/10

Though the story of the characters continue in this season,tonally it's a completely different season. Where the first season was focused on
a single goal and explored a focused theme, the second season is all over the map, mixing parallel universes and incarnations after death (Both of said concepts are better explored in other works in my opinion, Twin peaks : the return and Bioshock: infinite the video game). But I gave this season a higher score cause it's more to my taste ( it's kind of a detective story with the promise of unraveling sick concepts) and because of two sick scenes : 1. Nina talking about that tongue dream blew me away. it was just beautiful.2. The scene in the cabin where the woman sells skins was just out of this world. Loved it!)

Overall this is a highly recommended series. everything is done beautifully.
But one major thing that hurts this show is the lack of closure. You could blame it on the complicated nature of the concept ( Incarnations in parallel universes and all), but I personally think the creators are at fault here since we have other works (mentioned above ) that handle these concepts with a lot more skill and efficiency.

The Hole in the Ground. 8/10
Fairly decent suspense-horror.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 8.75/10
Mostly a downer, but still really good stuff, like you'd expect.

American Circumcision. 9.85/10
An outstanding contribution.

Wormwood. 9.75/10
Errol Morris. Good. Geez.

Last edited:
Gerry (Gus Van Sant) - 8/10

I really liked this one but it's definitely one of those films I would recommend to only watch when you're in the mood for this because it really takes its time to tell a story without much action. Loved the cinematography though!

Wormwood ............................ 9.5/10

Addicting Netflix series and very very very interesting editing. They used 10 cameras for one interview.

Roma........................... 8/10

What I learned the most from this movie is that it really did a good job at separating the foreground and the background yet the story was connected by both.

"Knowing"....... 7/10. I know a lot of people picked holes in it, and I know it's got its faults, but I thought it was visually rich, with excellent pacing, and fascinating music. I love the ending, too. I suppose also it appealed to me especially because it was made in Australia with several Australian actors directed by an Australian, yet it had a broader "feel" than many Australian films. After watching it a couple of times, it's now my go-to movie for a "big emotion" hit. I can even bear Nicolas Cage being in it!

Life After Flash.....9
Nice documentary. It's a nice trip down memory lane.

The Night Eats the World.....8
A decent zombie film.

Suspiria 2018.....8.5
I didn't love it, but it's interesting. I'm inclined to call it a must-see because...I'm not sure why. It's unconventional in a good way. It's a film for adults. It's visually interesting. It's not the usual pablum Hollywood produces these days. Cool. I hope Amazon and Netflix continue to bring us such alternative content.

Dallas Buyers Club.....8
It's a decent film. What a lot of commitment from the actors.

Last edited:
The VVitch ............................ 7/10
I did like the production value but parts of it seemed like deleted scenes.

Synecdoche New York .................................... 5/10
Weird. Funny. Mostly Weird. I can't tell if it's a comedy or a drama or a cartoon.

Rewatched End Of the Tour about writer david foster wallace.
Some really great dialogue in this film and it makes me want to read the novel Infinite Jest.

Rewatched End Of the Tour about writer david foster wallace.
Some really great dialogue in this film and it makes me want to read the novel Infinite Jest.

Yeah the dialogue is great, but I don't know, somehow the wallace in the movie differs a lot from the real wallace I got to know from his interviews. Also I am reading infinite jest. If you want to give this book a try, you should know this book is experimental in every way possible, kinda like james joyce's but a bit easier. It's also a 1100 pager. Most people give up when they read the first 20-30 pages of it or so. If you wanna give it a try, try to read at least 300 pages of it before deciding to put the book aside. Only by then you get a good grasp of what he is trying to do and say. It's a funny book on the surface but deeply sad beneath the surface.

Last edited:
Back