movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

You Kill Me - 8/10

I have no idea why this didn't get better distribution.
252 theaters at most is terrible for such a funny movie.
Kingsly and Leoni are nuanced and delightful to watch as they suppress guffaws at every scene together.

360_dvd_you_kill_me_1009.jpg

A well spent $4m.

The DVD extras about the 250 digital effects was verrrry nice.
Impressive work there alone.

The Muppets - 6/10
Songs were short enough for kids, but great enough for adults. It just seemed disjointed, even though it pushed close to 2 hour runtime. Apparently even more scenes were trimmed, that will be back on the disc. Parts of it bordered PeeWee style; especially the Smalltown scenes.

Contraband - 9/10
If only the end hadn't been wrapped up so Hollywood-perfect. Enjoyed this much more than I expected.

The Sitter - wtf/10
Can't believe I saw the same Oscar-nominated guy from Moneyball in this pile of crap. Damn, this even made Harold & Kumar Christmas look good, in retrospect. :weird:

Day Night Day Night
Heard about this via CrackerFunk's MoMo Club. There'll be a whole thread on it later, apparently. Mum's the word, 'til then.

Sunshine - 8/10
I wasn't sure if I would like this movie but apart from a couple of minor things I really did like it a lot. It definitely felt like a Danny Boyle movie too XD It has alot going for it definitely

+1 to Sunshine above :D

The Kingdom (2007) - 8.5/10 - A story about an FBI team investigating a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia. There is hardly any action through most of the film -- only character and story development. That is, until the end, where all the stops are pulled and the action shatters away any sense of calm you had.

Only a few parts were over-acted, and the rest of the film carries the actors through. But it's a buildup to a massive finale which makes it all worth it.

A Beautiful Boy - 8/10. Great story and I was impressed with how they tackled the emotions that I assumed one would have/feel if in their situation.

Hobo With a Shotgun 7.5/10

FINALLY got around to watching this and have to say, pretty darn good. It was basically a Troma movie with better acting. Loved the lurid colors.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close 8.5/10 - For me, one of the best films I've seen in cinema since Inception, very captivating and emotional story, Thomas Horne is great for such a young actor.

The Usual Suspects 8/10 - Been meaning to watch this for a while, and finally got around to it, great story and ending, although found the beginning a bit slow.

Hard Candy 7/10 - Interesting story, beginning and ending hold the suspense very well, right from the start story captures you, but does get quite long-winded and dry in the middle. One of my favourite Ellen Page performances though.

Man on a Ledge 6/5/10 - Wasn't really expecting much from this film, but was pleasantly surprised, tense story, fun ending. Something to watch at home when bored one night

I`ve just finished watching `Southern Comfort` directed by the great Walter Hill. It is on BBC iplayer at the moment for all us UK based lads and lasses. Not seen the film for years but it is top notch stuff. 10/10. Great music by Ry Cooder too.

The Experiment (2010 American remake) : 5/10

Fortunately I watched the 2001 German original first.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=249450#post249450

It's simply amazing what one director will do with an hour and a half of your time vs. what another director will do.
See the original.
Skip this version.

Dull as chipboard.
Whomever at Sony sent this $21m waste straight to video deserves a bonus equal to half of what they woulda wasted on a P&A budget promoting it. Or trying to.

Last edited:
Bag of Bones on Netflix. Only watched the first episode so far. Not bad. Seems relatively true to the spirit of the book. I could do without the shrill, over the top make-you--jump-music/sound effects though.

Columbiana : 4/10
Totally missable.
It's just another (poorly constructed) vigilante killing action flick of such improbable scenarios as to not provide decent entertainment.

X-Men: First Class : 7/10
Pretty decent story.
I think all those responsible for developing the characters into the way that they are did a pretty good job.
Jennifer Lawrence as Mistique, though?
I can't get over those big juicy cheeks of hers.

x-men-first-class-photo-jennifer-lawrence3.jpg

Transformers: Dark of the Moon 4/10
If you want... watch it just to say that you watched the trilogy.
Otherwise it's like ADHD on a glidecam and jib with a bunch of metal sh!t in a blender going onscreen.
Basically, just watch this for two hours straight (only worse):

prime.gif

50/50 - 8/10. Really liked this film, had some great scemes and dealt with some difficult issues. Really well done

50/50 9/10
Excellent film.

It's simply amazing what one director can do with $8M vs. another with $195M (PLUSSSS P&A).

And then it's amazing what lemming-people want to go see:

50/50 - vs - T: DotM

Revenue
$39M - vs -$1,123M

2,479 theaters - 4,088 theaters

13 weeks - vs - 15 weeks

Rotten Tomato score
93/91 - vs - 35/67

People.
Maybe if 50/50 had more sh!t blowing up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FkhtSrm8Y

Last edited:
Back