movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Caught a couple I'd been meaning to see for ages this weekend, that lots of people have already commented on, but here's my two cents:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: 8/10
Do you like the Shaun of the Dead style of horror comedy (where the conventions are equally mocked and used. It makes fun of zombie films, yet still IS a good zombie film)? Have you seen one too many cabin-in-the-woods style slasher films? You'll love this. Every joke you see coming a mile away...which is sort of the point. The plot is contrived and unbelievable...which is sort of the point. The twist at the end...well, you see where I'm going with this. It's a film that does what it sets out to do, and does it well (Alan Tudyk, of course, always helps). Plenty of blood, plenty of stupid jokes and slapstick and pretty endearing characters. Again, more Shaun of the Dead than Evil Dead, but a good watch for fans of both.

Red State: 7/10
I don't think I've seen Kevin Smith be this complex since Chasing Amy. I'm certainly pre-disposed to liking his work, and there are moments that are recognizably Smith, but it's a very different film. A bit heavy handed, but that isn't inappropriate to the style of film. The first half of the movie owes as much to modern films such as Hostel as it does to horror films of the past, but about halfway through, the tone changes. Equally intense, but in a very different sort of way. Interestingly, even with the protagonists, there aren't really any "good guys". As the film escalates, Smith shows how almost every character has an opportunity to end it. "Thought provoking" and "Kevin Smith" don't often go hand in hand (unless Clerks 2 had you REALLY thinking about donkeys...) but some excellent performances by Michael Parks and John Goodman (and some passable-to-good performances by the rest of the cast) really made it. Again, heavy handed politics, but that's not really unusual for the genre (watch any given George Romero film...they're not subtle). Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it, and hoped Smith's "giving up on filmmaking" is just him being flakey. Again.

rise of the planet of the apes 9/10 ****
one of the best movies ina long time, great effects great screen play great acting.

the change up . 7/10 ( very funny) ****

7 out of ten, i havn't like any of ryan renolds movies up to now. He keeps getting the parts not sure how his managers doing it, but he still keeps getting parts but worth it in this acount. finally a good movie.

It's very funny movie, bateman of course. is great

Hanna 4/10

New actor she does quite well, eric banna brought some great talent in the snow at the start. (didn't like his fight scene ) would have preffered lieam neeson would have been better casting. needed better cinetogrraphy but was okay.

Friends with benefits. 5/10 **
Justin timberlake seems to be able to act in some ways, the writers are writing to his dialog an manurisms i suspect thats how he's achieving this. it was okay.

Conan the barbarian 2/10
badly done and shouldn't have been made bad casting, bad effects bad script, some okay special effects with sand man , your average zena series show is better.

Captian, america 5/10
Is okay could have been better, good make up. chris evans saved it with his good acting.

Cowboys and aliens 5/10
I was dissapointed with this movie. the special effects were laging, with the creatures could have been better. but still a good movie. (worth watching) I dont think daniel craig is right for the part I dont like his acting style

Last edited:
50/50 - I'd give it a 9/10, and probably the only thing that I wasn't thrilled with was Seth Rogen, although he did fit the part. Otherwise, very well written and acted, from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Anna Kendrick (she's terrific) through all of the supporting actors.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the newest one with Daniel Craig)

I give it a 10/10 for being another one of those films where everything goes way too according to plan, like The Dark Knight, Inception, In Time, etc, etc.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but man I could not stop taking the film apart whilst I was watching it.

District B13 - 8.5/10
Catching up with some older films that have been on my netflix queue for ages. Written by Luc Besson and starring David Belle (founder of parkour), it's a day-after-tomorrow dystopian action film with crazy-awesome stunts. Due to overwhelming crime, the government walls off B13 (one of the suburbs of Paris). However, the military loses a bomb and police agent Damien Tomaso (Cyril Raffaelli) goes undercover with district resident Leïto (Belle) to stop the bomb, etc, etc

Sound run of the mill? Like every other action film? Well, it is. Light on the plot, but strong on characters, and, again, crazy-awesome stunts (according to IMDB, around 90% of the stunts were done without CG or wirework). It was absolutely engaging; the plot twists you see coming miles off, but that's not the point. You watch to see Belle running up walls, flipping over balconies, diving through tiny windows...and then applying his super-escape skills to combat. Never a dull moment, and lots of fun to watch; when I got to the end, I wanted to watch it again. Fortunately there is also....

District B13: Ultimatum - 7/10
...a sequel. Sadly, the sequel focuses more on the plot than the characters and suffers for it (the plot isn't really any better). Still, plenty of fun action (not as much parkour as in the first) and the characters are still engaging. Can't help but feel they dropped the ball a little bit on this, and didn't quite realize what people liked about the first. Oh, and both films serve as a primer to modern french hip-hop, if you're into that sort of thing.

Special mention must be made to some excellent tattoo-work throughout both of the films. I assume Belle's are his own, but there are some great designs throughout, if you are interested in tattoos (I am).

An American remake is planned under the name "Brick Mansions." David Belle is still attached, so it could be fun. The strength of these films is watching him do his thing, so even repeating the same situations, but with different stunt choreography would be fun to watch. If they can tighten up some of the weaknesses of the original (though I doubt it), that'd be icing on the cake!

Just caught Underbelly Blues at the Two Roads Theatre, as part of LA Arthouse Filmfest #2

It's hilarious. The scene with Madame X (a Jewish mother / dominatrix) was worth the ticket by itself. :lol:

The film revolves around a mcguffin suitcase which gets stolen repeatedly by various interested parties. The story is a bit out of sequence, and is reminscent of Pulp Fiction in more than one way (One of the producers is the father of QT... allegedly). It all ties together very well at the end.

Audio's a bit dodgy at times (you can tell much of it was on-board sound). They also had annoying titles fly on screen each time a new character was introduced (pointless). They should have hired me to arrange their lighting, too... :weird:

...but aside from a few minor technicals like that, the film is just great. It's parody, satire, gross-out, insanity, homage, farce, outrageous characters, you name-it it's in there. I'll be picking this up when it comes out on DVD.

Oh, and it also has the delightful Emilee Wilson in it. She's awesome. :cool:

I'd give it a 7/10, overall.

The trailer's pretty muddled, though. Anyway, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5jOkXz29fo

Another Earth - 7/10 - Not a bad film and it played out as I expected but an interesting concept and it was pretty good overall

Just saw The Descendants and really enjoyed it! Had I seen it in 2011 it would've been right up there with my favourite films of the year... ah, well... they'll have to reconcile themselves with an Oscar nomination...

Midnight in Paris - 8/10 - Seemed like a restrained, classic Woody Allen film. Thought that Owen Wilson played Woody's iconic character pretty well - overall a great film

Two last night..

The Grey 7/10 (old school looking kinda liked the ending)
Haywire 3/10. Surprisingly bad movie for me, Gina Carano is fun to look at and awsome fighting but she had a rather wooden delivery. I kinda blame this on the directory, he should have worked with he more.. This movie should be great, fantastic A list cast etc.. . Also, I dont know if my eye is keen to these things now, but the image quality was lacking.. focus seemed to be soft, color aberrations etc..
haywire_08-625x336.jpg

EDIT: Gina, if you read this, no offense, you can kick my fat a#$ any day, you are amazing athlete, take a few more acting classes and you can be an action hero!.

Last edited:
Sexy Beast, finally. 3.5 out of 4. Pretty darn good. And Ben Kingsley, wow, they were right about his perfomance. But all the players are good. Nice little film.

The Thing 2011. Not bad, not bad. Pretty goodish. Okay. Got a little sci-fi, horror fix. Certainly not the classic Carpenter film, but okay.

Red Planet. Not bad. I've seen it before. I still like Mission to Mars better.

The Walking Dead. I finally saw it (I don't have cable). I guess the OP asked for movies, not television shows. But a film is a film. Just watched the first season (six episodes) in one-ish sitting. Pretty good. Not sure I would spend what I spent for the blu-rays had I seen them first. But it's good. I like Frank Darabont a whole lot. Looking forward to listening to the commentaries.

Milk for the second time. I saw it in the theater. Just bought the blu-ray. It's great. 4 stars. Sean Penn is just great in it. I'm glad he won the Oscar. Gus Van Sant is brilliant. Some parts of the film are just beautifully lit. That always gets me, or at least wins points in my book.

Back