movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994). Not super great. Robert De Niro is the best part of the film; Branagh's direction seems almost amateurish compared to his earlier work. Still, stays true to the novel, which is nice. Some scenes were brilliant; others were useless. 5/10.

Unknown- 5/10 stars.

Movie could have been titled Bourne Unknown, Liam Neeson is always great but the film was just subpar.

Life During Wartime - 9/10. Classic Solondz, an unbelievably uncomfortable sequel using a Palindrome style of a differentcast playing these characters. Absolutety fantastic dark comedy. Not for the faint of heart.

rango (animated)

prety crazy and edgy. Refrences to Fear And Loathing in Vegas. Incredbily strange creature adapadations and some snapy with from Johny.

Rated overall 8

Bridesmaids : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478338/

Sweet Jesus, this was an awful flick.

I was tricked into seeing this. Dear ol' Mum suggested this one, when I'd swung by my folks' place. She normally knows what she's talking about, when picking suitable movies for a night out... not this time! :lol:

I'd rather have seen this by myself. My poor sweet innocent 72 year old mother was probably exposed to more sex, profanity & crudeness in that 90 minutes than the rest of her sheltered life combined. It's hard to laugh about visualisations of swinging penises slapping women in their faces, in situations like this.

The fat chick saved the movie, singlehandedly. Best character in the whole movie, hands down. Awesome. :cool:

I've never really been a fan of Apatow's stuff (though SuperBad was quite likeable), so I'm not sure if I'd like it better in a more relaxed setting.

Mum : 2/10
Me : 4/10

Bridesmaids : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478338/

Sweet Jesus, this was an awful flick.

I was tricked into seeing this. Dear ol' Mum suggested this one, when I'd swung by my folks' place. She normally knows what she's talking about, when picking suitable movies for a night out... not this time! :lol:

I'd rather have seen this by myself. My poor sweet innocent 72 year old mother was probably exposed to more sex, profanity & crudeness in that 90 minutes than the rest of her sheltered life combined. It's hard to laugh about visualisations of swinging penises slapping women in their faces, in situations like this.

The fat chick saved the movie, singlehandedly. Best character in the whole movie, hands down. Awesome. :cool:

I've never really been a fan of Apatow's stuff (though SuperBad was quite likeable), so I'm not sure if I'd like it better in a more relaxed setting.

Mum : 2/10
Me : 4/10

:lol:

Yeah, I might not wanna watch that one with my mom. Personally, I love it. Kristen Wiig has made her way onto my short list of favorite actors/actresses. And though this isn't an Apatow movie, per se, it definitely feels like one (and I'm a BIG fan of Apatow).

My most recent: "Captain America". Not exactly blown away by it. I found the plotting to be contrived and overly convenient, and that bored me. I was mildly entertained, so I can at least give it a "C". Also, I found the ending to be rather sad, in an unaffecting way.

Last edited:
I actually saw Bridesmaids with my Mum too (although she's a good...er, 12 years younger than yours) and she loved it, a lot more than I did :)

And how is it not an Apatow movie? :P

I actually saw Bridesmaids with my Mum too (although she's a good...er, 12 years younger than yours) and she loved it, a lot more than I did :)

And how is it not an Apatow movie? :P

For me, to say something is "a(n) __________ movie" implies that they directed it. But maybe that's just cuz I fancy myself a director, first and foremost, and I'm egocentric? So, any movie I direct is MY movie? :redgrin:

For me, to say something is "a(n) __________ movie" implies that they directed it. But maybe that's just cuz I fancy myself a director, first and foremost, and I'm egocentric? So, any movie I direct is MY movie? :redgrin:

You've gotta keep producing your own work though, at least for me... ;)

Cave of Forgotten Dreams 10/10

As an Art History buff, the Chauvet Cave in France is of particular interest to me. I recently saw Werner Herzog's documentary CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS, which follows the cave's discovery. The world's oldest artwork - Pretty incredible stuff! Herzog happens to be one of my favorite filmmakers so it was double the excitement for me when I heard about the doc! Highly recommend watching - beautifully shot and beautifully narrated! Not sure if it's still receiving theatrical release, but I streamed it on SundanceNOW.

Cave_of_Forgotten_Dreams_movie_stills_5.jpg

I just watched Crazy Stupid Love, and I have to say it got to me. There was something about it I just found charming or something, but I actually really really enjoyed it.
No, it's not groundbreaking, BUT I thought of any movie that deals with relationships that I've seen, I liked this one the best.
9/10 and I don't care what anyone else thinks! ;)

Last edited:
Sucker Punch.

It...Sucked. The concept is fine but the treatment is so shallow..

I can't believe that 80,000,000 dollars went in this thing.

Zack Snyder should stick to directing and forget about writing. Watchmen was amazing.

I've had some great luck with documentaries on netflix streaming recently.

Surfwise - Awesome story about a non-conventional family by the name of Paskowitz. The father is a very eccentric guy who quit is medical practice to have 7 children, raise them in an RV, substituting school with surfing. Still don't know how I feel about the subjects themselves, but the docu was awesome. 8/10

Bela Fleck: Throw Down Your Heart - Bela Fleck, if you're not familiar with him, is an amazing banjo player and just plain genius musician. The docu is the story of him searching for the roots of the banjo in Africa and getting into a bunch of awesome jam sessions with local musicians. Normally I don't like it when a film or documentary shows a whole song instead of just a taste, but I'm really glad they did with this. I have a new appreciation for African tribal music. 9/10

Garrison Keillor: The Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes - You probably need to be a GK/Prairie Home fan to enjoy this one. But it's great. Not the fastest paced documentary, but it doesn't drag either. 7/10

These are all netflix streaming now, so go watch 'em!

Capitalism : A Love Story
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232207/

Politicians are a bunch of thieving crooks? Well I never!

Probably Mr Moore's weakest film. It's not that it's a bad film (it's quite interesting, but most was not new news... to me, anyway). It's just that it leaves you feeling quite unempowered & apathetic at the end. Seriously... if everyone is neck-deep in all these shenanigans, who can you call to complain about it?

All I know is that I'm in the wrong business to be making money, I guess. :lol:

The Social Network. Oh, really really good. It should have won the Oscar (as opposed to The King's Speech, which is a good movie, too!), whatever that would mean. Of course it's fine that it didn't, since I think we all know that the Oscars are simply a celebration of the industry, and it really doesn't matter two turds who wins what...at least as far as a critical assessment of any film's merits goes. I like it like that --a simple celebration of the biz.

Anyway, beautifully shot...beautifully shot. The acting, everything. I don't feel like giving it a numerical value. It's good.

[Edit]: Oh, I wanted to mention that that sequence of the rowing race about three quarters of the way through the film looked a hell of a lot like the DSLR footage we see indie filmmakers producing. Anything to that?

Last edited:
Back