movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Just watch two movies I love but find really hard to rate. House of the Devil is an 80s horror movie. If you like that sort of thing, you'll love it. Slow paced, quiet, with appropriate bursts of noise and blood. Contrived plot, some cringeworthy acting...but done with a loving awareness. A good movie? Probably not. If you like 80s horror however, you'll love it (as I did).

I Sell The Dead. I'd been wanting to see this for ages based on cast and concept. I wasn't quite prepared for EXACTLY what it was. It was a movie that had a hard time settling on a voice...period horror, slapstick comedy (a la Evil Dead), quiet dark humor, gang rivalry...it's not sure so it does them all (and the better for it). It's creepy and it's campy. It gets silly and it knows it. Like the previous film, very aware of its faults and runs with them. Something to be said for that, I think. Is it a good film? Well, not really, kinda mediocre at best. Did I like it? I LOVED IT, START TO FINISH. It's a gothic comic book and absolutely fun if that appeals to you.

I've also been binging on Harry Potter movies and the Phantasm series, so that's sorta where my head is these days....

Network, 1976

Hadn't seen it in 10 years, and needed to catch up for a future conversation,

I was just blown away by the acting in this film. The artistic elements like using tv static as the roar of exterior city scenes were so subtle that you hardly noticed them, but still added greatly.

The dynamics of the actors voices were way beyond what we see today as well. Watching this, I think people have outright forgotten the place of loud yelling in Drama. Those dynamics really made this film what it is.

9/10 1 point subtracted for imperfections in wrap and narration.

Just watched Louis Malle's weird little art film, "Black Moon" (1975). It's a very 70s-style piece of filmmaking, consisting of symbolic wallowing and crisp cinematography (from the great Sven Nyquist). Not much dialogue and pretty to look at, the film has pretensions to being a deep riff in an "Alice in Wonderland" vein, but never gets there. There's a lovely back-to-the-land undercurrent to the images, given as much of the film takes place on a gorgeously dilapidated country estate filled with livestock, and the surrounding landscape is damp European greenery under gray skies. Plus, a reappearing horde of naked children frolic with sheep and pigs. It's all somewhat utopian, as its offered as contrast to a war (seen in brief) between men and women raging beyond its walls.

Warhol fans will love the fact that it features Joe Dallesandro of Factory film fame, looking his hunky, androgynous best.

Just watched Louis Malle's weird little art film, "Black Moon" (1975). It's a very 70s-style piece of filmmaking, consisting of symbolic wallowing and crisp cinematography (from the great Sven Nyquist). Not much dialogue and pretty to look at, the film has pretensions to being a deep riff in an "Alice in Wonderland" vein, but never gets there. There's a lovely back-to-the-land undercurrent to the images, given as much of the film takes place on a gorgeously dilapidated country estate filled with livestock, and the surrounding landscape is damp European greenery under gray skies. Plus, a reappearing horde of naked children frolic with sheep and pigs. It's all somewhat utopian, as its offered as contrast to a war (seen in brief) between men and women raging beyond its walls.

Warhol fans will love the fact that it features Joe Dallesandro of Factory film fame, looking his hunky, androgynous best.

Oh cool. The local newspaper recently recommended that (in so many words). I want to see it.

SPIN and HOW DO YOU KNOW.

I started watching Spin because Lauren German is in it. It seemed like it was going to suck and about 20 minutes in I started fast-forwarding. But, I only FFed a few minutes when it began to get interesting. It ended up being okay. Worth a view if there's nothing else on.

I've loved Reese Witherspoon since Freeway. She's someone you had to peg to be a superstar from early on. If she's in it, I'll see it. How Do You Know BLEW. I was going to ask "How the hell does crap like this get made?" till I saw Brooks credits. I can't believe this was written by the same guy who wrote As Good As It Gets. Awful movie.

Just saw a remastered copy of The Lavender Hill Mob at the cinema. If there's a better heist movie, I ain't seen it ;)

But seriously I don't know how familiar Americans are with the Ealing Comedies but The Lavender Hill Mob, The Ladykillers and Kind Hearts and Coronets are, honest to God, three of the best films ever made. Fact.

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

264283_213031018741975_201742033204207_621888_480404_n.jpg

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

- full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
- extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
- overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some

How was Petersen able to make this movie look so convincing, yet make Troy look so fake?

And the last film I watched was Green Lantern, I give it a 1.5 out of 4 I guess.

Damn, I love "Das Boot."

I have the long-ass DVD cut at home. Would love to have the Blu-Ray.

By the way, "U-571" completely rips off "Das Boot," down to minutely copying the way it was shot. Losers.

Just watched "Horrible Bosses" last night.

My only complaint is it seems like a lot of comedy writers nowadays are incapable of writing a funny movie that isn't completely riddled with very sexual jokes. It just starts feeling like the writers were like "Now what?" "Oh I don't know, throw another sex joke in there for good measure."

It was still funny, and I had a good time. 7/10.

Amelie - I bought a used DVD right after I saw the movie whenever it was first released. I just watched it again last night. What an incredible movie. There isn't a wasted moment. I wish I spoke French so I wouldn't have to read the subtitles.

Amelie - I bought a used DVD right after I saw the movie whenever it was first released. I just watched it again last night. What an incredible movie. There isn't a wasted moment. I wish I spoke French so I wouldn't have to read the subtitles.

Yeah. Amelie is a stunning piece of film making. An all time classic.

Back