movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Until the Light Takes Us - 7/10
A look at the Norwegian Black Metal scene of the early 90s, mostly from the perspective of art. The narrative is wrapped around a gallery showing of black metal-influenced artwork, as well as contrasting performance art pieces (a rather silly performance by Harmony Korrine inspired by black metal vs. a performance by someone in the scene, Frost of Satyricon). Lots of interviews with people who were in the scene at the time, mostly Fenriz of Darkthrone and Varg Vikernes from prison. Hits all the standard black metal history points (beginnings, Dead's suicide, Helevete record store, church burnings and the murder of Euronymous). Presents facts and opinions while letting the audience draw their own conclusions, and when it does have points to make, makes them fairly elegantly.

Now, why should you care about this if you don't like black metal? For the record, I don't. It's too intentionally low-fi for me, and for pretty reactionary reasons (lots of reactionary beliefs and attitudes in metal scenes in general). It is a fascinating story, and while I've heard there are other better documentaries out there on the subject, this is a good overview (and on Netflix instant now). Enough of the music to give you an idea of the sort of sounds, but not an overload if you really can't stand that kind of music.

Furthermore, Varg is a fascinating person. He's friendly, and nice and has a sense of humor...and is utterly sociopathic and manipulative. His philosophy has a lot of points you can agree with, and he's absolutely creepy. There is absolutely no remorse as he describes killing his band member, never letting his sense of humor slip. You can see the holes in his story, and see how his personality would make people gloss over them. Impossible to say what actually happened (I personally believe that Euronymous manipulated Varg into murdering him; sort of a suicide by proxy to become a "legend" in the scene, the way Dead had years before). I had heard that Sion Sono ("Suicide Club" and the AMAZING "Noriko's Dinner Table") was working on a fictionalized take on the murder, based on the "Lords of Chaos" book. Haven't heard anything about it in years though, but even if it does happen, there's a lot of room in this story for someone else to work with it. Either way, anyone who is looking to write a Hannibal Lechter type friendly, intelligent and sociopathic character should see this film for the interviews with Varg.

National Lampoon's Vacation-Wally World. Its a classic every human being should own. When Chevy Chase launches the twin family truckster off the closed road and has to walki through the dessert-hilarious. after walking hoursd through teh dessert "Hey kids are you thirsty?!" "Yea I bet you are" "You betcha!" Just comedy at its best I think.

Just Go With It

I'm a pretty big fan of Adam Sandler across the board. I'd say that JGWI is my fav film of his since 50 First Dates (which is tied with Happy Gilmore for my favorite).

Sandler films tend to be very strong when it comes to supporting characters. Brooklyn Decker and Jennifer Aniston make for excellent eye candy and are both pretty hilarious in the film. The kids are hysterical - full of hilarious quotes. And my favorite character of all is by far "Dolph Lundgren" played by Nick Swardson. I hope he uses more of Swardson in future films.

“I am ze Dolph Lundgren, Devlin’s man-friend slash love-monkey!”

254263_221734117844938_167793929905624_870442_6387425_n.jpg

Sultanes del Sur - 7.5/10. Fun movie, had some good action scenes and an ending that I should've expected but didn't even think about too much.

Brothers, which I'm going to give a 9 our of 10. It was very different than the previews implied. It was a much deeper movie than I thought it would be, and not nearly as thriller-ish.

Re-watched Iron Man 2, which is such an awesome action movie. Gotta give that an 8 out of 10.

Watched Love is a Many Splendored Thing, which I'll give 5 out of 10.

Barney's Version

I'm convinced that Paul Giamatti's presence in any film automatically validates it. Argue with me all you want, but I have yet to see a film of his that I didn't enjoy.

Barney's Version is a showcase of Paul Giamatti at his best. The story takes us through a roller coaster of experiences that is the life of Canadian TV producer Barney Panofsky. In my opinion, no other actor is better suited to interpret this ride than Giamatti. His character is not likable, yet somehow P.G. manages to captivate you and even convince you to root for him; a testament to his acting ability no doubt. The supporting cast is phenomenal too, with notable roles by Dustin Hoffman (my absolute favorite), Minnie Driver, and Rosamund Pike.

There's a reason why Barney's Version received such high acclaim during awards season. Highly recommend!

barneys_version_giamatti.jpg

I watched Final Destination again. It was great as usual. Probably rate it a 7 or 8 out of ten. But I enjoy it so does it really matter what the rating is. Got the Bluray version yesterday.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - 8/10. Its one of the better latter films of Allen's career and I liked the cast - Cruz was really phenomenal.

The last film I sat down and watched was Drive Angry...

Now, I had heard quite a bit of bad stuff about this film, but it showed up in the $5 Bin when I was out purchasing "Adult Beverages" so I figured "Hell, give us something to drink to." So we got juiced, and watched the film. Then I sobered up, and watched it again. And again. And not for the boobies.

To be fair, I'll say ti straight up- I think 3d is something that will be good in the future, but so far we're stuck in the infant gimmick phase of it; like when you first discover sex, you do it a lot, in different ways, and try to do unusual things with it. That being said, the most annoying thing I found with the movie was the play-up factor for the 3D effects. The copy I purchased was a regular 2D affair, but when the digital effects started taking slow-motion extended effort to throw things towards the viewer. After the third time that the clock slowed and an axe/bullet/body part flew towards the screen, my rage for the infancy of the 3D industry struck.

But, that was my only real problem with the flick.

Sure, it wasn't Grandly insightful, or force us all to look at the world around us and realize if we don't change our ways then an Alien will kill us, or if we don't forgive a drunk for our wife's death our kids will suffer, but the story had good intentions. Who wouldn't escape the bounds of Hell to save their family from a madman? Its a relatable idea all wrapped up with boobs, sexy cars, and explosions.

I can even forgive a bit of Nicolas Cage's terrible acting,
the man's been dead and in Hell for 15+ years, name someone who can come out of that with a sunny disposition.

And come on, who doesn't love the Hydrogen truck scene? And if you don't at least crack a slight smile at at least one point in it, you take everything too seriously; loosen up and have some fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV1eiNL32pQ

The ending of the flick is somewhat predictable, in fact the majority of the plot was somewhat predictable, but the point I'm making is that it's fun. You don't get overly sucked in by realism in the plot, as the plot is very unrealistic, but the fact that little situations encountered are relatable helps sell the immersion factor.

So was it a Masterpiece to be the Next Star Wars? No, not at all. But it is a fun watch, and sometimes I think filmmakers forget that's why they got into this in the first place; Having Fun

So, take a break, drink a beer/scotch, and enjoy Drive Angry for what it is with out over analyzing every part of it, and have some Fun.

Saw the new Transformers the other night, not too shabby. Rosie Huntington-Whitely is a pretty poor actress but I suppose she did the job, pacing was a lot better than the second one, and the plot was fairly simple. A big improvement, and the film didn't try and be something it isn't. As far as summer blockbusters go, I was very impressed- A big 8/10

On a side note, before that I watched Insomnia, with Al Pacino and directed by Chris Nolan, and was also quite impressed. Compared to a lot of his more impressive stuff it's more of a standard crime thriller, but it was a great watch and I'd definitely recommend :)

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

264283_213031018741975_201742033204207_621888_480404_n.jpg

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

- full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
- extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
- overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some

Back