What was the last film you actually paid to see in theater and enjoyed?

Just wondering if there are filmmakers out there that are finding themselves in a similar situation like me...

Years ago... I used to love going to the movie theater, but now I despise it.

I think the last film I saw in a theater and actually enjoyed was NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007). Other than that I think I've regretted just about every movie ticket I've purchased since.

What(and when) was the last movie you paid for and actually enjoyed?

I've been pretty happy with most of the stuff I've seen in theaters recently. Except 1 this year, 1 last year...

Past few tickets:
Suckerpunch - Maybe the worst movie i've ever seen? I was checking my watch 45 minutes in, it felt like 3 hours.
Limitless - It was ok. Great cinematography and VFX, wasn't a fan of some of the plot. I enjoyed it.
Tron - LOVED it. Just a quality all-around film. It's recent because
Rango - So/so, I enjoyed it
Hallpass - Funny, had it's moments
Adjustment Bureau - I enjoyed it. The love story wasn't believable for me.

And that's what I remember recently. Outside of Suckerpunch, the only really super negative experience (I would use the word hate) that I can remember is Expendables. I walked out halfway through. I expected bad acting/plot... but wow. Again, other than those I love the theater. Some local ones do $4.50 and $5 matinees and I go a few times a week.

"True Grit"

"Social Network"

"Toy Story 3"

You know, filmmakers tend to be overly critical, and many young filmmakers take umbrage with films that are meant to be pure entertainment (i.e. commercial films that make money). This prevents you from just enjoying a film for the fun of it, being just an everyday yutz and being entertained by a piece of romantic fluff, meaningless comedy or a non-stop bang-bang-shoot-em-up. Especially in hard economic times people want some good, escapist entertainment to forget their troubles for a few hours.

The hardest thing for an artist to do - be it a filmmaker, musician, writer, or fine artist - is to get off their high horse, "turn it off" and look at their art (especially their own) objectively.

I stopped going for the longest time, when I felt it was just too expensive & I was priced out.

About a year ago I started going to the local dollar-theater. Sure, it's all 2nd-run films but I'm willing to wait a few weeks to see a film if the ticket price is just a couple of bucks instead of $12 each. ($18 for 3D wtf lol?!) Been going a lot there, which is nice.

What(and when) was the last movie you paid for and actually enjoyed?

Tron 2 - seen it a couple of times, or so... heh, 9 times...
smiley_ninja.gif

edit: also Black Swan & Tangled.

Last edited:
Tron - LOVED it. Just a quality all-around film.

I think I'll have to go see Tron.

I honestly wanted to see it when they first started running ads but I thought I was responding emotionally for purely nostalgic reasons. And remembered that no matter how good the original is the sequal is always cursed. Plus the "set up" of how he discovered his father which they added to the trailer, seemed a bit flimsy and scared me away even more.

So not wanting to get burned, I didn't go.

But I'm always up for a "quality all-around film"! (and I secretly still want to see it).

You know, filmmakers tend to be overly critical, and many young filmmakers take umbrage with films that are meant to be pure entertainment (i.e. commercial films that make money). This prevents you from just enjoying a film for the fun of it, being just an everyday yutz and being entertained by a piece of romantic fluff, meaningless comedy or a non-stop bang-bang-shoot-em-up. Especially in hard economic times people want some good, escapist entertainment to forget their troubles for a few hours.

The hardest thing for an artist to do - be it a filmmaker, musician, writer, or fine artist - is to get off their high horse, "turn it off" and look at their art (especially their own) objectively.

I agree it is hard to "turn it off".

I do also like to be entertained in a purely entertainment value kind of way, but if movie keeps reminding me that I'm sitting in a theater (by not engaging me or arresting my senses and attention) I feel cheated because I can't "escape".

Maybe it's a tall order, but it's my reality.

I found myself with a few hours to kill late last year and bought a ticket to The Social Network, which I knew nothing about at the time and had a ball. It's the only film I've seen in a cinema for several years that wasn't a disappointment.

In the summer I paid £200 to get an unlimited cinema ticket to the UKs biggest cinema chain (which includes my four nearest cinemas). I did that firstly because I love going to the cinema ad secondly so that I could update my website with films that were no good, not just the films that I'd been waiting to see.

I think I'm pretty good at switching of anything I feel about filmmaking when I watch a movie and therefore judging it as it's supposed to be judged. That said I HATED Sucker Punch- regardless of whether it's escapism that movie was truly awful.

Last good movie I saw? Source Code.

I love movies. I have never regretted seeing a movie. Never.
I love seeing movies in a theater, sharing the experience with
total strangers, the way the filmmakers indented. Even movies
I don't like. I have never regretted seeing a movie in a theater.
Even movies I didn't enjoy.

I think the last movie I paid for and actually enjoyed was "pAUL".
I'm going to see "Hannah" in a couple of hours.

The only film that bored me to tears where I actually left the theater before it was over was The English Patient.

Other than that gem, I agree with directorik. A theater has a vibe to it that makes it seem alive.

Superman Returns.....I wish I could undo that movie. Sorry but I can't recall what one I last watched and enjoyed in the theaters.

I love movies. I have never regretted seeing a movie. Never.
I love seeing movies in a theater, sharing the experience with
total strangers, the way the filmmakers indented. Even movies
I don't like. I have never regretted seeing a movie in a theater.
Even movies I didn't enjoy.

I think the last movie I paid for and actually enjoyed was "pAUL".
I'm going to see "Hannah" in a couple of hours.

Have you seen the movie THEY? I tried getting my money back from that one.

I still enjoy going to the theater but i do go less often then i used to.

Last one: Inception.

It wasn't original as most hardcore fans claim it to be but it was definitely entertaining and shot well.

I watch more movies at the theater, than at home. Way more. That's how they're meant to be seen, and that's how I like watching them.

I don't think $10 for two hours of entertainment is a rip-off. $10 won't get you two hours of pool. It won't get you into a professional sports game. It won't get you a good burger. It won't even get you a good martini. Why do so many people feel like $10 is too much to pay for two hours of entertainment? I say it's a very fair price.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm at the movie theater once or twice weekly, and the most recent movie I saw that I really enjoyed was "Source Code". It's the first movie this year that I will give an "A" to.

I loved The Adjustment Bureau. Definitely a must-see. A little Hollywoodish with the love story but aside from that it was great.

Recently, saw Sucker Punch and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure what all the hate is about... Also saw (somewhat recently):

Black Swan - amazing
I Am Number Four - pretty decent, great effects at the end
and I did see Tron 2 - amazing

I think I just enjoy movies too much in general to really feel that strongly against any of them. (There are a few that I will speak out against, but that's for another thread...)

Black Swan ... Avatar (mostly) ... can't remember back beyond that ...

I will be taking a chance on Hanna tomorrow, but I think I figured out the third act just from the trailer, which irks me. May also see Soul Surfer, as my daughter is sure to want to see that one.

Back