What was the last film you actually paid to see in theater and enjoyed?

Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to assign a grade to EVERY movie that has been mentioned in this thread (except for the few I haven't seen; of the movies I assign a grade to, I saw each one of them the way they're supposed to be seen -- in the theater).

No Country for Old Men -- "C+" (Sorry, hate me if you want to)
Suckerpunch -- "B-" (I know, I've completely lost all of your trust - just being honest)
Limitless -- "D"
Tron: Legacy -- "C-"
Rango -- "B+"
Hall Pass -- "B-"
Adjustment Bureau -- "D"
True Grit -- "A"
Social Network -- "B+"
Toy Story 3 -- "A+" (the only "A+" I gave out last year)
Tangled -- "B"
Black Swan -- "B+"
Source Code -- "A"
Paul -- "B-"
The English Patient (never seen it)
Superman Returns -- "C-"
They (never seen it)
Inception -- "B+"
I Am Number Four -- "C"
Avatar -- "A++" (The only A++ I've ever given any movie)
Hannah (wanted to see it tonight, but didn't get off work in time)
Soul Surfer (not planning on it)

I just returned from the 11:40 showing of Hanna.

For me, it was kind of a mixed bag, C+. It appeared to be a prequel to a movie that hasn't been made yet. ;)

Toy Story 3 was probably the most fun i've ever had at the cinema. I just watched it again on Blu-Ray the other night and couldn't stop smiling. I love it!

Most of the time, I come out of a movie happy, even if it wasn't that good. For me, there's always some redeeming quality to a movie. Except...

It's my own fault really, but I got all excited about the "Friday the 13th" remake. I guess I thought "I love the originals, sure it's Platinum Dunes, but you can not go wrong with Friday the 13th." Man, how wrong could I be? That's the most disappointed I've been after a movie. Unfortunately, i'm getting all excited for "Scream 4" next week..

Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to assign a grade to EVERY movie that has been mentioned in this thread (except for the few I haven't seen; of the movies I assign a grade to, I saw each one of them the way they're supposed to be seen -- in the theater).

No Country for Old Men -- "C+" (Sorry, hate me if you want to)
Suckerpunch -- "B-" (I know, I've completely lost all of your trust - just being honest)
Limitless -- "D"
Tron: Legacy -- "C-"
Rango -- "B+"
Hall Pass -- "B-"
Adjustment Bureau -- "D"
True Grit -- "A"
Social Network -- "B+"
Toy Story 3 -- "A+" (the only "A+" I gave out last year)
Tangled -- "B"
Black Swan -- "B+"
Source Code -- "A"
Paul -- "B-"
The English Patient (never seen it)
Superman Returns -- "C-"
They (never seen it)
Inception -- "B+"
I Am Number Four -- "C"
Avatar -- "A++" (The only A++ I've ever given any movie)
Hannah (wanted to see it tonight, but didn't get off work in time)
Soul Surfer (not planning on it)

The English Patient won 9 Oscars and I panned it as the worst movie I have ever seen. I just thought some perspective would be helpful if you decide to watch it. ;)

Just wondering if there are filmmakers out there that are finding themselves in a similar situation like me...

Years ago... I used to love going to the movie theater, but now I despise it.

I think the last film I saw in a theater and actually enjoyed was NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007). Other than that I think I've regretted just about every movie ticket I've purchased since.

What(and when) was the last movie you paid for and actually enjoyed?

Well, I've not gone as much in the last couple of months due to school and things, but at the start of the year, I went on a great run of seeing great movies at the theatre
Black Swan, 127 Hours and The Fighter all within a few weeks

Anyway, last film I saw
'The Seventh Seal'
A-
I loved this film. The concept was great, the photography was absolutely brilliant, all of it worked so well. The plot was executed really well and the acting was good, particularly Max Von Sydow in the leading role.
Admittedly it did feel a bit longer than it's 90 or so minute run time, it didn't drag by any means.
In short, loved it, powerful, beautiful and well acted.

I think the last movie I paid for and actually enjoyed was "pAUL".
It's starting this week here in Germany and I really look forward to see it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are a cool team, so this movie should be fun.
The last movie I paid for and really enjoyed was "The kings speech". But I must confess that I missed a lot this year...

Have you seen the movie THEY? I tried getting my money back from that one.
I have.

I have seen a lot of terrible films. I do not regret seeing any of them.
I have never asked for my money back because I didn't like a movie.

I actually haven't been in a theatre in a couple of years.

I believe "UP" was the lat I watched in theatres, and enjoyed it immensely :)

at this point i just go into the closing sales of rental stores and buy like 5 pre-owned dvds for 20$

I think movie theatres should really be smaller, and there should be more of them, like a 20-seater on every couple blocks would be my utopian vision.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised I posted this in the wrong topic. Pay no attention to it.
Sorry (:

Last edited:
I don't think $10 for two hours of entertainment is a rip-off. $10 won't get you two hours of pool. It won't get you into a professional sports game. It won't get you a good burger. It won't even get you a good martini. Why do so many people feel like $10 is too much to pay for two hours of entertainment? I say it's a very fair price.

That's an interesting perspective.

Here's my perspective... You go to a restaurant (ie the movie theater) and have the best filet mignon you've ever had (Great movie) for $10. Then you go back a week later expecting that same experience for the same $10 and you get tough over cooked sirloin (Bad movie). I don't know about anyone else, but it traumatizes me to the point I never want to go back to that restaurant (theater) unless I can sample the meal they will expect me to pay for.

Of course this is all purely hypothetical, I'm a heck of a lot more forgiving than this sounds. But instead of me demanding my money back I guess I just don't go to the theater again, unless I'm thoroughly convinced that I will enjoy it.

Tron legacy
Star Trek( latest)

I love them but they are the only movies i watched in a theater for 4 years:P

Here's my perspective... You go to a restaurant (ie the movie theater) and have the best filet mignon you've ever had (Great movie) for $10. Then you go back a week later expecting that same experience for the same $10 and you get tough over cooked sirloin (Bad movie). I don't know about anyone else, but it traumatizes me to the point I never want to go back to that restaurant (theater) unless I can sample the meal they will expect me to pay for.

Of course this is all purely hypothetical, I'm a heck of a lot more forgiving than this sounds. But instead of me demanding my money back I guess I just don't go to the theater again, unless I'm thoroughly convinced that I will enjoy it.

I get your point, but here's where your analogy could use some tweeking. The movie theater isn't the restaurant, it's just the city infastructure. The movie itself is the restaurant, so every time you see a new movie, you're visiting a new restaurant.

Some people like to try a new restaurant as soon as it opens. Some people prefer to wait to hear what their friends think about it, and/or what the food-critics are saying about it. I fall into group of people who enjoys just trying it out. It's not always good, but it's always an adventure trying something new.

But I'm not visiting every single restaurant that opens up; I can't afford that, plus I'm just not interested in a lot of them. That new thai restaurant (sci-fi) -- you can rest assured I'll be there within the first week, if not on opening day. Whereas that new vegan restaurant (romantic comedy) -- only way I'm even considering it is if I hear really positive word-of-mouth.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both strategies. The downside to my viewing habit is that I probably see a lot more crappy movies than you do. The upside is that it's pretty rare for a good movie to sneak past me, and I got to see it the way it's properly meant to be seen. It's not just about seeing it on the big-screen; there are many movies that are best when seen with a large audience, especially one that was excited enough to see the movie that they came out the first weekend.

Lastly, I would say that if watching a movie at the theater is eating a filet mignon at a nice restaurant, then watching the DVD at home is like microwaving the leftovers. It's just not as good.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying my way is how everybody should do it -- just explaining why my way is definitely the way I like to do it. Cheers!

@Cracker

Megamind just got released on DVD with the full 7.1 uncompressed theatrical mix on it. This means with a good home theater, the listener will have the full dynamic range of audio you heard in the theater which leads me to believe that shortly, all DVDs will be like this and home systems will be very comparable to the theater, perhaps better (because people tend to care about their speakers at home. The theater rarely checks up on them and I've gotten my money back at least 5 times this year alone from horrible speaker set-ups at theaters and I have the ears to detect them!)

It would be the same provided you had the same chef and same restaurant.

But, most likely you went back and had a different slice of meat cooked by a different chef from a different restaurant, and there is your trouble.

Plus, the filet mignons I eat are easily over $45 - dunno where you would find a $10 one and I doubt it would be that good :)

I wholeheartedly agree with Cracker Funk.

How much does it cost to go see a symphony orchestra?

A good Broadway play?

Six Flags?

Disneyland?

Massage?

Jeez, even playing Dance Dance Revolution for 2 hours would easily be over $20.

Snowboarding lift ticket?

Parking for going to the beach?

Speeding ticket?

A good book?

A new video game?

Rock concert?

I think seeing a movie is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment today, and yet, it's one of the most complained about that I've seen.

After having seen what goes in to one of those typical big-budget productions, it's amazing they charge as little as they do as it is...

Last edited:
Pardon me I forgot to answer the question:

Last few films I enjoyed at the theater:

Tron.

Social Network.

Inception.

I get your point, but here's where your analogy could use some tweeking. The movie theater isn't the restaurant, it's just the city infastructure. The movie itself is the restaurant, so every time you see a new movie, you're visiting a new restaurant.

Some people like to try a new restaurant as soon as it opens. Some people prefer to wait to hear what their friends think about it, and/or what the food-critics are saying about it. I fall into group of people who enjoys just trying it out. It's not always good, but it's always an adventure trying something new.

But I'm not visiting every single restaurant that opens up; I can't afford that, plus I'm just not interested in a lot of them. That new thai restaurant (sci-fi) -- you can rest assured I'll be there within the first week, if not on opening day. Whereas that new vegan restaurant (romantic comedy) -- only way I'm even considering it is if I hear really positive word-of-mouth.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both strategies. The downside to my viewing habit is that I probably see a lot more crappy movies than you do. The upside is that it's pretty rare for a good movie to sneak past me, and I got to see it the way it's properly meant to be seen. It's not just about seeing it on the big-screen; there are many movies that are best when seen with a large audience, especially one that was excited enough to see the movie that they came out the first weekend.

To continue with our analogy... I literally tried a new Peruvian restaurant the other day because I have another Peruvian place I frequent, but this one is closer to where I live. While there, I was kind of weirded out because there were log sections mounted on every square inch of the walls, light jazz music (Peru?), and poor unprepared staff inexperienced with what the restaurant offered. The food was good, but when the bill came I fell out of my chair, because it was 3 times as expensive as my favorite Peruvian place for less food, bad service, and weird ambiance.

My experience here traumatized me to the point I probably won't try a new restaurant without thoroughly testing the waters first for years!

Likewise, my usual Peru Rest. (Art house film) is always a treat, but the new Peru Rest. (The new Art House film) lured me in with the idea of similar offerings closer to home. However I came to find out it wasn't like my usual Peru rest. after all. The old bait and switch... I was bamboozaled. The crew working on this film was inexperienced, tried to make and art house film and instead made something I never want to see again for as long as I live.

Maybe I'm too sensitive :hmm: but if I pay for something, no matter how little, I want to get what I pay for. Give or take a slight margin of error.

I guess the current "system" for movies theaters works for you, but I would like to see a change or maybe a new "system" for the more sensitive movie goer that like you, affords me the opportunity to catch them all in theater. I would even be willing to pay more.

Another possible analogy ( yeah I know)... The reason some resorts have "adults only" status (to keep the riff-raff and distractions to a minimum.) Of course they'd have to come up with a new name for it, as adults only theater implies something else entirely.

Last edited:
Back