series What series are you watching?

You might like Episode 3 of "The Last of Us", it had that dude who was white lotus manager in season one.
What a great actor! an overnight success after 30 years in the industry lol

I'm currently watching The Vow about the NXIVM cult - ya know that cult where the women got branded with the leaders initials and had the blonde chick from smallville recruiting women for him

So many hard working people in this group trying to better themselves, and according to this documentary the guys methods even cured one dude of his touettes. Like this dude has a genuine capacity for helping people, and they are all friends, theres like 800 permanent members of this group trying to help each other self actualize.

I see why people want to join the cult.
They would never have me though, the work ethic these people were demonstrated was really to a unhealthy degree working to 2am and then waking up at 5am to exercise like wtf you are taking time off your lifespan with that

I've gotta wonder if people like this cult leader are super villains and the whole thing is an long term strategy for sexual power from the outset.
Or like... maybe they are genuinely trying to help people but they have no will power to resist temptation, and the whole thing gets twisted and perverted over time, and it grows into something horrific

Just wild stuff.

Early episodes they say things like 'self esteem is defined by the number of choices in you think you have in a given situation'
more self esteem you have the more choices you will be empowered with...

and then they create this womens group to empower women... where they are slaves and have no choices at all.
Like what a bait and switch but nobody even recognizes whats happening because of all the brainwashing.

i also think that smallville chick was just as much a victim of the brainwashing, she kind of gets portrayed as a villian and helping the guy like his christine maxwell or something, but she wasn't in this for finances, ya know she was just a girl that got bamboozled IMO and she was a high priority target for the leader because of how he could use her.

Last edited:
Cunk on Earth (Netflix)

Droll, dry, and dumb, everyone should watch at least one episode, a spot on parody of a Lucy Worsley like, BBC style, historical docu-series featuring a real comic presence--Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk; writing that is surprisingly, consistently, funny; and a host of real life experts trying to give reasonable answers to moronic questions. I like it :)

Last edited:
Rewatching some Breaking Bad and some of the cracks in the writing really jump out a second time around.

e.g. Jessie has 4lbs of meth in his house, and then when walt sells it for a million dollars he doesn't give Jessie his half because jessie is an addict and will be dead within a week if he had the money. lol what? So he can have 4 lbs of meth and hes fine but he can't have money, the logic is so fractured and silly. Yeah he was doiing heroin at the time too but you can easily trade the best purest meth on the planet for a bit of heroin too, its just as good as cash.

Anyway nobody wants to hear me rant on and on about that stuff, i also think skyler comes off as a lot more reasonable the second time

I'm really shocked how much this writing is falling apart.
Like some of it is so bad it's actually comical to me.

I'm watching season four right now and gus takes walt out to the desert and he's like "I'm gonna kill ur dea brother in law .. don't try to stop me!"
LOL such an awful movie trope of the bad guys explaining their plan for no reason, literally no reason at all to tell walt this JUST so you can try to mess it up. oh man I really thought this show would hold up better on a second watch.

IRL this dude would not be taking the time to explain himself to anyone, and there's nothing walt could do about it after it happened.

Last edited:
I'm really shocked how much this writing is falling apart.
Like some of it is so bad it's actually comical to me.

I'm watching season four right now and gus takes walt out to the desert and he's like "I'm gonna kill ur dea brother in law .. don't try to stop me!"
LOL such an awful movie trope of the bad guys explaining their plan for no reason, literally no reason at all to tell walt this JUST so you can try to mess it up. oh man I really thought this show would hold up better on a second watch.

IRL this dude would not be taking the time to explain himself to anyone, and there's nothing walt could do about it after it happened.
At some point, I am 100% going to make a scene in a film where the bad guy captures the hero and just kills them instantly. Just because we're so used to seeing the "Master Plan explanation scene before hero escape from certain death"

I'm totally sick of seeing "And you see mr bond, that's why no one can diffuse the nuke without my special code 569395482. Too bad you won't be alive several minutes from now to diffuse it, since I'm going to kill you right after this lenghty speech. Sure, one might consider it a waste of time to try and impress someone who is going to die immediately, but I'm very proud of all the work that the team put into this, and the unguessable combination I came up with to protect the nuke, so I feel like you have a right to hear this." And then this guy who set up a network of hacked missile silos and organized a team of international assasins forgot to tie the rope right, and Bond escapes and kills everyone and uses the combination to stop the nuke.

Rewatching some Breaking Bad and some of the cracks in the writing really jump out a second time around.
I didn't watch the show when it was on until the last few episodes, having binged the previous ones in the week or so before.

And sure, it was entertaining, and had a lot of bits and scenes and actors that were kind of memorable, but I was a little surprised at the degree of praise the thing was getting. Emily Nussbaum, in the New Yorker for example, called one little plot point "brilliant": he just pretended, on the phone, to be x, so the cops, who he knew were listenIng, would think Y.

Surprised until I realized that people have been watching this thing for five years.

Taken in one chunk, as sfoster notes, you see the arcs and the beats, the writers-room white-board brainstorming, manipulating the characters and the story to make some one thing not necessarily consistent with the other things. It felt, to me, transparently written, which Is usually not a great, I think, sign.

Is breaking bad in GOAT territory television? To me, not even close.

Anyway.

Last edited:
At some point, I am 100% going to make a scene in a film where the bad guy captures the hero and just kills them instantly. Just because we're so used to seeing the "Master Plan explanation scene before hero escape from certain death"
Or, the master plan being that our hand full of heroes will infiltrate the nest of dozens of heavily armed bad guys and will face a barrage of bullets--which will all miss. Until the main good guy and the main bad guy face off, somehow manage to drop their weapons, and go at it hand to hand.

Last edited:
Watched this week's Bill Maher. Bill's been on this anti-woke thing for a while, and it's an argument I don't have much sympathy for--more, it seems to me, propaganda aimed at the simple-minded, trying to recruit . . . well, whatever.

Anyway, I watch Bill because, I guess, i always have, but don't much care about or even like the show much any more, except when Cornell West, Mel Brook's kid, or the Meathead are on. And what struck me, this time, was not any content, but the audience.

We're kind of trained, i think, to keep that noise just under consciousness, but if you actively listen--Christ, what a bunch of yahoos: maniacal laughter, raucous hoots and hollers, massive applauses, after each and every little not very funny joke. It's almost unbelievable. Can you imagine having to sit next to one of these whooping goobers?

Just sayin. I think they must be all hopped up on the reefer.

Anyway.

Last edited:
Started Servant, this M. Night series on apple.
Such an interesting shot in the pilot when servant meets the parents, never seen that composition used that way.

Interesting so far, on episode 3. ron weasley is the best friend.

Last edited:
Oh damn I had no clue this creepy looking servant girl played Jamie Lannister's daughter.

Her name is Nell Tiger Free born 1999.

Last edited:
Ok. Four episodes into The Consultant (prime vid) and four to go, which I think I'll save till tomorrow. Yes it is somewhat suspenseful, and yes, Christoph Waltz is busy being Christoph Waltz. But I swear to god. If this thing is another open ended, unresolved, series of mysterious crap--I'll give up, never to start another without looking, first, at spoilers, to find out if there is a real story here, or just a collection of story elements, designed to get you to watch the next episode. We'll see.

On the other hand, just went through Godless (7 episodes, Netflix) and it was, for me, a breath of fresh air--a real western with a real story, real characters and real actors, made by real professionals. I liked it.

Ok. Four episodes into The Consultant (prime vid) and four to go, which I think I'll save till tomorrow. Yes it is somewhat suspenseful, and yes, Christoph Waltz is busy being Christoph Waltz. But I swear to god. If this thing is another open ended, unresolved, series of mysterious crap--I'll give up, never to start another without looking, first, at spoilers, to find out if there is a real story here, or just a collection of story elements, designed to get you to watch the next episode. We'll see.
Yup. He's great as always but I have the same reaction.

OK. Finished The Consultant. Maybe there is some post post-modern aesthetic here that is beyond me. I'd ask someone to 'splain it to me but I'm afraid I wouldn't care enough to listen. Oh well. As I said, never again.

Last edited:
I'm currently watching The Vow about the NXIVM cult - ya know that cult where the women got branded with the leaders initials and had the blonde chick
Yup. I watched this one too, along with the one about the church of the woman with the big hair. The lesson for me is how pitifully easy it is for people to believe, and commit to, plain old crap. We are deficient, as a species, by design, in critical thought; it is not natural, it has to be learned and practiced.

Also: never trust any kind of spiritual guru who knows, for sure, stuff he or she can not possibly know.

On the other side is the Dalai Lama, who, when asked what he would do if science proved the dharma (teachings; fundamental principals) was wrong, flatly said he would change the dharma.

Last edited:
Here's a phrase you never hear a cultist say. "I could be wrong"

That's different than the scientific perception. "Prove it in a lab or it's bullshit"

People will say anything, and people will believe anything.

Where it get's weird is that people seem to have a much harder time believing in something intelligent than something stupid.

"Nuclear power has been safe for decades, and could reduce pollution about 3000x as much as every color coded trash can in America if widely adopted" - Pass, sounds complicated, Nuclears don't come from the earth, so they are unnatural and bad.

"Here's a magic crystal you can hang around your neck that synergizes you with the planet's aura, to help stop pollution" - 4 please, my kids need them too.

"Thanks so much for the power hero necklace, is there anyone I should watch out for that is harming the earth?"

"Oh, sure there is, anyone who doubts the power of necklaces and chanting is the enemy, and you should find a way to harm them before they burn down a rainforest with their evil words and suffocate future children."

"god you're smart, can I make a donation so you guys can build a thought leader compound?"

"Sure can!"

(there was a new age crystal shop in SV where it just rained money for people like this, no one had ever done any work analyzing spreadsheets about industrial pollution, and if you asked to many questions, you would be asked to leave, and labeled as a "doubter" who "hated the earth")

Back