streaming What are you watching rn?

This shit was funny. The first Birds scene was great anyway. Second one was meh.

Last edited:
I watched Hulu's new thriller last night - mostly because I'll watch pretty much anything Sarah Paulson is in. Both she and newcomer Kiera Allen (who plays her daughter) are excellent, and it's well worth watching.

Much of the attention to the movie has been focused on the fact that Allen does use a wheelchair in real life, which explains why she whipped around corners so fast. As a screenwriter and indie filmmaker, I was impressed by the movie's excellent use of (mostly) two actors and one location (a house).

Run (2020)

8/10

Recently watched the original Cape Fear with Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, & Polly Bergen after having seen the Scorsese version many times. I've seen Peck in a fair amount of stuff but my only previous experience with Mitchum was The Night of The Hunter so now I'm looking for my next Robert Mitchum film and I'm thinking about jumping forward quite a bit to The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Cape Fear
The Night of the Hunter
The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Recently watched the original Cape Fear with Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, & Polly Bergen after having seen the Scorsese version many times. I've seen Peck in a fair amount of stuff but my only previous experience with Mitchum was The Night of The Hunter so now I'm looking for my next Robert Mitchum film and I'm thinking about jumping forward quite a bit to The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Cape Fear
The Night of the Hunter
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
oh yeah what did you think the blaring music and strong dolly pushin throughout cape fear?

oh yeah what did you think the blaring music and strong dolly pushin throughout cape fear?

I enjoyed the way the movie was shot however I'm unsure why I became somewhat bored toward the last 1/3 of the picture? I was already used to some of the music as it is the same as the '91 version, I love the Main Title. Sometimes IMO the music use seemed a bit over the top but it's nothing that bothered me much considering when the film was made. However I'm no expert on films from this time period (more on that in a min). In speaking of the blaring music, I just found out the other day the wonderful composer Bernard Hermann who did the score here originally tried to do a loud booming type score for The Exorcist but it was rejected (the right choice for that film I believe) by William Friedkin.

Anyway as I said I'm not even all that knowledgeable of the films from this era. Most of my film viewing experience ranges from the 1970's to today but I'm working to expand that. I'm less versed in the movies made from the 1960's and earlier. In checking my Letterboxd account (assuming it is mostly accurate) I've logged:

7 films from the 1930's
12 films from the 1940's
25 films from the 1950's
38 films from the 1960's

Far more films logged in the decades following.

Bernard Hermann
The Exorcist
William Friedkin

Last edited:
I enjoyed the way the movie was shot however I'm unsure why I was became somewhat bored toward the last 1/3 of the picture? I was already used to some of the music as it is the same as the '91 version, I love the Main Title. Sometimes IMO the music use seemed a bit over the top but it's nothing that bothered me much considering when the film was made. However I'm no expert on films from this time period (more on that in a min). In speaking of the blaring music, I just found out the other day the wonderful composer Bernard Hermann who did the score here originally tried to do a loud booming type score for The Exorcist but it was rejected (the right choice for that film I believe) by William Friedkin.

Anyway as I said I'm not even all that knowledgeable of the films from this era. Most of my film viewing experience ranges from the 1970's to today but I'm working to expand that. I'm less versed in the movies made from the 1960's and earlier. In checking my Letterboxd account (assuming it is mostly accurate) I've logged:

7 films from the 1930's
12 films from the 1940's
25 films from the 1950's
38 films from the 1960's

Far more films logged in the decades following.

Bernard Hermann
The Exorcist
William Friedkin
There are movies that are timeless and it doesnt matter what decade they were made.
I personally dont give movies extra leeway or take it easy on them when i judge them just bc theyre old

in some ways that is unfair... but in other ways... there really are some old ass movies that are still amazing to this day.
Movie rec's are a dime a dozen and every asshole as their opinion.

But two great movies from the 30s are M and City Lights. Both 1931.
I've seen every charlie chaplin film he ever directed and thats my favorite.

There are movies that are timeless and it doesnt matter what decade they were made.
I personally dont give movies extra leeway or take it easy on them when i judge them just bc theyre old

in some ways that is unfair... but in other ways... there really are some old ass movies that are still amazing to this day.
Movie rec's are a dime a dozen and every asshole as their opinion.

But two great movies from the 30s are M and City Lights. Both 1931.
I've seen every charlie chaplin film he ever directed and thats my favorite.
How did you feel overall about Cape Fear ('62)?

I will definitely agree there are super old movies that are still incredible start to finish. I guess I wanted to like the movie going in which helps and in this case my initial reaction was I'm enjoying this but some of these music cues are just "too much." It wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me by any means and I just chalked it up to that being "of the time" but as I said, I don't have extensive knowledge of '60's films so perhaps in my case I am being too easy on it.

I'm always up for rec's & I love City Lights! I'll add M to my watchlist, thanks.

Speaking of love for Chaplin (I still haven't seen all of his films yet!) I was lucky enough to attend a screening of Modern Times with live accompaniment (they surprised us with Kid Auto Races At Venice beforehand!) and man was it an awesome experience!

This dude is very funny with a great voice - rewatched this special last night.

And he put up a new special On the Roof 2 days ago, gonna watch it this weekend.

Last edited:
I watched Comrade Detective on Amazon.

It was described and sold to me as a 6-episode government sponsored propaganda series from 1983 to promote communism in romania.
Now remastered audio with english dub.

I really enjoyed the first few episodes, it kinda felt like a bizarre series directed by tommy wiseau or something lol.
Some really peculiar stuff going on that made it feel like a parallel reality and I liked how different the show was.

It didn't feel too hollywood and it didn't share our values and i liked that.. for the first 3 episodes.
and then it dramatically changed
from a land where the police are you friend and its government sponsored propaganda.. suddenly it becomes a show about how the police are corrupt and abusive and donald trump is an asshole. Yes 1983 romania and its black lives matter and donald trump is an asshole. What a bait and switch!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NOT THE SHOW I SIGNED UP FOR its just more liberal hollywood bullshit. Which is fine but don't tell me its something else ya know, dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining you assholes.

So yeah that really pissed me off that it sold me one show and then delivered another.
But I did laugh at the first few episodes and enjoy those.

Watched Mank on Netflix the other day. While I liked the film, it’s nowhere near Fincher’s best work. (That honor goes to Social Network and Zodiac in my opinion) I don’t think it was as engaging as his previous films and I found it slow moving at times. Still, you could tell it was a very personal project for Fincher and that he has an appreciation for the era of Hollywood portrayed in the film. (It’s written by his late father, Jack Fincher)

Gary Oldman is great as always as the titular character Herman “Mank” Mankiewicz as is Amanda Seyfried. I can see each of them snagging all kinds of nominations this award season. (Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood) On a technical level is where the film really shines, however. The gorgeous cinematography perfectly captures the 40’s time period as does the sound design, which has that analogue mono-sounding feel to it.

Last edited:
I finished Tenet... not a great film and felt very derivative.
Nolan movies also tend to trip over their own feet so i tried not to think about it while i watched it lol.

One thing still jumped out at me though, at one point he goes in reverse time for like two weeks straight but an oxygen tank only lasts like 5 hours.. so by my calculations he would need 67 oxygen tanks per person with reverse oxygen. Where does all this reverse oxygen come from, what happens when his tank runs out? Maybe there is an explanation but like I said I intentionally tried not to look too closely lol. I really wanted to enjoy the film, its been a while since a new great movie came out.

Also I watched

Don't Fuck with Cats
I don't like the people who made this movie. I think they're shitty humans and they don't care about animals.
Just an opportunistic sociopath obsessed with murderers and celebrity... and I'm talking about the producer of this series not the star.

There is a scene in this series where someone gets murdered and their cat is emaciated at home and dragging itself across the floor on its belly.
The series never even addresses what happened to the cat... a fucking series titled about cats and there is no concern or closure for this injured cat in the story. Did someone adopt it? Did its bladder get ruined and it peed everywhere until it had to be put down? What in the hell happened to the cat?

This is completely unforgivable in a story about cats not to address what happened to the cat and it speaks volumes about the show creator.
The creator is not an animal lover. they are a murderer lover. and this series is a love song to the murderer its about.

That is not revealed until the show is completed.
And then at the end of this story there is the dumbest line I've ever heard any series end with.
Just mind bogglingly stupid, enough that I gave it a thumbs down after watching.

Last edited:
I finished Tenet... not a great film and felt very derivative.
Nolan movies also tend to trip over their own feet so i tried not to think about it while i watched it lol.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. Except memento and prestige all of his movies seem to do that. Nolan tends to come up with these ambitious high concepts ( which I believe he secretly believes himself to be a genius in doing so ) yet unable to wrap them up adequately. They end up being disappointing because I believe his concepts are not well realized by him, not thought through thoroughly. The thing that amazed me is that he said he's spent about 15 years or so thinking about the Tenet's script! Made me think that maybe he's a bit overrated( Don't want to start anything here btw :). The doctor and the squad's leader's lines,"Try not to think about it"and " If you don't stop thinking about time linearly then there is no point in doing this mission" or something like that is like a Nolan cameo telling the audience "try not to think about the premise cause it's full of paradoxes I haven't realized myself just enjoy these cool reverse bullets" 😆 .

Last edited:
That's exactly what I wanted to say. Except memento and prestige all of his movies seem to do that. Nolan tends to come up with these ambitious high concepts ( which I believe he secretly believes himself to be a genius in doing so ) yet unable to wrap them up adequately. They end up being disappointing because I believe his concepts are not well realized by him, not thought through thoroughly. The thing that amazed me is that he said he's spent about 15 years or so thinking about the Tenet's script! Made me think that maybe he's a bit overrated( Don't want to start anything here btw :). The doctor and the squad's leader's lines,"Try not to think about it"and " If you don't stop thinking about time linearly then there is no point in doing this mission" or something like that is like a Nolan cameo telling the audience "try not to think about the premise cause it's full of paradoxes I haven't realized myself just enjoy these cool reverse bullets" 😆 .

I was expecting those types of shortcomings so it didn't ruin the movie for me.
I knew it was a nolan movie I was about to watch lol.

Most disappointing is that this movie didn't deliver any amazing scenes...
Like I was expecting the plutonium highway theft to be awesome but it was pretty boring and unspectacular.

Didn't they spend like 200 million making the movie, where did that money go lol.
All the similar scenes in the dark knight were just way way cooler.

Like the japan scene.. batman breaking into the japanese HQ was so much cooler than breaking into Priya's house.
This movie was inferior to the dark knight in every way... and that isn't even my fav batman movie. Batman Begins is better.

Last edited:
Watching a ton of standup comedy lately. These are some of the better ones
I had never heard of any of these people.

Last edited:
"Got my dog a $7,500 surgery... yeah yeah i know. Fake tits aren't cheap. big ole fake titties on that dog!!"

Back