Weapons and Indie Film-makers: Indie Arms philosophy

Firearms, props or otherwise, and the Indies have had a strange relationship over the years. Every year, we hear of incidents involving Independent filmmaking and the use of weapons. Just recently, UC Irvine Campus was on lock-down because an individual was seen in military fatigues and carrying what appear to be a military weapon. When the dust settled, it was found out to be a student film involving airsofts. Thousands of dollars were expended on the part of the police investigating the incident, public exposure by the media covering the incident made the UC Irvine administration cringe, and the reputation and physical health of the involved parties placed in jeopardy. Why, you ask? Because a student film failed to notify the appropriate authorities and obtain the necessary permits. On the face of it, one could say no harm, no foul. But let's look a little deeper into the what if's. What if the police had confronted the individual student carrying the weapon, and in the confusion, they (the student) made the wrong move. Remember, these situations are very easily misconstrued. A student could of been killed by the police, and on the part of the cops, it would of been a justified shooting, as many of the props out there are very real looking. We strive for realism in our film-making, and that is where we need to be the most careful.

As a set armorer/weapons handler/technical advisor, one of my first concerns is where will the film shoot take place? A closed set, such as WB, Pointe, Sunset/Gower, or any of the other commercial sets, give me more of a sense of relief, as I know these are designated film sets and closed off to the public. But walking onto or hearing what many student films consider a "set" causes me a lot of concern when it comes to the use of weapons.

Being a business owner who provides weapons on set, I think it is appropriate, after reading what a few "film-makers" out there think is acceptable, to share my thoughts. I shudder to think what could happen on their sets.

So what I am going to outline is the method Indie-Arms, Inc. uses for handling weapons on set.

1. Permits. This is especially important on Non-Studio "sets". By pulling a permit in the affected city or township, it puts the authorities on notice that you are filming in their jurisdiction. A lot of problems can be overcome with this step before they even arise. Should a permit not be required (filming on private property with the permission from the owner), prudence must be employed to keep the weapons and props out of the view of the general public.

2. Notification and Education. Contact the local Law Enforcement in the area you plan to be filming with weapons. Ask their advice. Develop a relationship with them. These are the guys that will be called when someone from the public calls about the "terrorists" or "criminals" running around with guns. 9-11 wasn't that long ago and people still are scared.

3. Training. The actors on the set need to be kept under a tight leash when they have a weapon in their hands. One-on-one training with them on safety and handling is paramount. This is not only for the realism, but also for them to realize these are not toys. How many times do you see actors playing around and wanting photos for their "books" of them holding a gun? As long as it is controlled, no problem, but let them start horsing around, big problem. Weapons will be pointed at people, and people will start freaking out. And rightfully so. Someone points a weapon at me without my knowledge or permission, things are going to get ugly fast. The last actor that did that ended up on his rear with me taking possession of the weapon and the actor was denied the use of a weapon on set. It is that serious. Stress the importance of adherence to the rules up front. I don't care what the actors think of themselves, they could be Will Smith, John Travolta, or Matt Damon, they will be in for a surprise if they mishandle any weapons on my set.

4. Safety Briefings. Any time weapons are brought on set, a cast/crew safety briefing is held. No exceptions. Allow any person, crew or cast the opportunity to see the weapon and verify its safety status. Inform everyone, if they see anyone touching the weapons unauthorized or being handled in an inappropriate manner, they are to inform the handler, the AD's, or the armorer immediately.

5. Remain on Set. Any time weapons are on set, a designated trained person is to be in place in order to wrangle and babysit the weapons. In between takes, physically take possession of the weapons, if cast takes a break or leaves the set. You are responsible for those weapons.

6. Never Point the Weapon at Someone! Even blank guns and airsofts. That is the nice thing about film, we can cheat the angles and make it look good, yet remain safe. Many times the angle I set up looks better on film, even though the weapon is not pointed at the actor.

7. When in Doubt, hire a competent and educated Armorer! No other explanation needed. There are many more points and advice I could give on this subject, and I will as I think of them. But remember first and foremost, SAFETY!!!!!!!! A film is only good if everyone gets to see it and go home at the end.

8. Lastly..........NEVER USE REAL WEAPONS ON SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. I hope I have made that clear.

Last edited:
I feel validated, I've been saying these things for years, and while common sense-y, having a pro tell me I'm doing it right makes me happy (the student shoots I've been on where I've been responsible for the weapons were annoyed with my diligence at checking the weapons between takes and verifying they were not only not loaded, but the barrels were clear as well). YAY - Healthy Paranoia :)

All good points.

Local film commission offices can give you literature on local rules and regulations on arms and weapons in your area too. In New York, Police supervise stunts and scenes with firearms and weapons as a condition for getting a permit. And, that's a good thing because they are there to help local filmmakers to learn the right way of doing things with weapons and firearms.

The film I'm in pre-pro on has two armed cops entering a motel room. We intend to use airsoft, but still budgeting for the construction of large screens to totally shield it off from public view, and informing the local police. Good tips.

From personal experience just walking paintball equipment to a car, do not underestimate the ability for the public to be pro-active in this regard.

Last edited:
OP's original post is awesome. Read it.

We have members on this very forum who have been 'cuffed & arrested for filming gun/action scenes in public view.

I myself was on a shoot just two weeks back, and the sherriff paid us a surprise visit after receiving complaints from neighbours concerned over the possible mistreatment of a child. We weren't waving any guns around, but that sure would not have helped the situation when they arrived to make sure that our youthful actor was actually just acting, and not screaming bloody murder for real.

What if you have permission from the owner of a building and don't need a permit? Can you film a shootout in public view as long as you are on that property and have contacted the police to let them know. The thing is permits cost money. Is there anyway of letting the police know for free?

What if you have permission from the owner of a building and don't need a permit? Can you film a shootout in public view as long as you are on that property and have contacted the police to let them know. The thing is permits cost money. Is there anyway of letting the police know for free?

Absolutely, it can be done. But you need to be proactive by contacting Law Enforcement well ahead of your shoot dates, see if you would need a permit or maybe having an off-duty officer on your set. But many times, its the aspect of "public view" that will bring the gentlemen with the real guns to your set. It doesn't matter about the private property aspect.

Many police departments are very open to film-makers filming in their jurisdictions. The more you discuss with them your plans and show them you are going to be responsible in what and how you are going to use those props, the better they will look at you. Have a defined safety briefing sheet, outlining the rules on set for weapons handling and show it to them. Feel free to use the info I posted to assist you in doing that.

Last edited:

If you are filming a shootout (even on private property) the laws
of the country (and state) still apply. The permit will be a minor
expense compared to every other expense. In general the answer
is no. If you are on private property in public view you still have
to follow the local laws. And the laws of using weapons (fake or
real) are different between the cities, the states and the countries.

Great article..
On my very first production (48 hour film festival short) I was producing, I was the LEAST experienced of everyone there. The action called for guns. We were on private RURAL property, gated and controlled. The property owner, director, everyone who mattered said "doneworryboutit" I snuck off and called the sheriff on my cell and told them what were were up to. Nothing went wrong, no problems. Whose to say how it might have gone...

Great article..
On my very first production (48 hour film festival short) I was producing, I was the LEAST experienced of everyone there. The action called for guns. We were on private RURAL property, gated and controlled. The property owner, director, everyone who mattered said "doneworryboutit" I snuck off and called the sheriff on my cell and told them what were were up to. Nothing went wrong, no problems. Whose to say how it might have gone...
Good point, wheatgrinder. Sometimes, that's all it takes. But the more proactive you are, the more stress is relieved the day of the shoot.

Great thread. I use front firing blank guns since they look much more authentic than computer generated gunfire. Even using these, there are some very important safety guidelines to follow. Not only do they look and fire like real weapons, they can cause some serious injuries if used carelessly. These front firing versions were actually illegal here in the U.S. last year and may be again soon.

Life is BORING.. take chances. what's the worst that could happen ?

You do not want to find out !

One time, I was doing a zombie/gore film and my talent wandered into a fast food place covered in fake blood and the next thing that happened was 4 cop cars w/ deeply interested cops come out and wanna know who was in charge, ask questions and the like.. It was fun for a bit, then it was hilarious. Could have been much worse. I was on private property w/o permission. In my state it was legal up till the point the owner told me to leave ( no owner present ). The cops asked if I had a permit. I informed them there was no such thing as a permit to film in the area and they called in and found I was correct... Not recommended for the weak at heart

Back