* video Old Man defeats a live rattlesnake in woods with two sticks

I'm in the army and that's what it says verbatim. FM 21-76 page 8-33. The main reason is so no one steps on it. That FM is geared more towards survival in the wilderness. SERE training gets more into cover and conceilment.

Just came across this in a trail map for a local park in Ventura, CA.

Rattlesnakes
Arroyo Verde Park is home to the Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes are the only dangerously venomous native snakes in California. A rattlesnake will not strike unless startled or threatened.
Rattlesnake bites are rarely fatal. However, if bitten seek medical treatment immediately. Keep victim calm and inactive to minimize circulation of blood. If possible, allow the bitten limb to rest at a level lower than the person’s heart. Do not apply a tourniquet. Do not cut or incise the bite site.

If you see a rattlesnake on the trail, slowly move away from the animal and give it room to leave the area. If given the opportunity, rattlesnakes will usually move away from humans. If you see a rattlesnake in a location such as the barbecue/picnic areas or bathrooms, notify the City’s Parks Division (652-4550) or Ventura County Animal Regulation (888-223- 7387) so that the snake can be relocated to an area away from human activity. Do not kill rattlesnakes; they are an important link in the environment and beneficial to maintaining a balance in the rodent population.

Other harmless snakes that reside at Arroyo Verde Park, such as gopher snakes and racers, are often misidentified as rattlesnakes. Unlike non-venomous native California snakes, rattlesnakes have a triangular-shaped head that is larger than the neck. Rattlesnakes also have a thick body and a blunt tail with usually one or more rattles. Non-venomous snakes living at Arroyo Verde Park have slender bodies with long tapered tails and narrow heads about the same size as the neck.

My thought after watching the video was why didn't Grampa just relocate it far away from the campers? Or maybe the campers could have relocated instead? Too much to ask? Dunno. In the end, when you're in a forest or the woods or desert, you're in the wild and it's their turf, not yours. What would have happened if there were 5 snakes? 10? A writhing herd of them? Kill them all? Bad idea. The snakes would win, old man would go down. But it was outnumbered so it made for easy prey. I'm not saying the guy is evil or despicable for killing it, just wouldn't have been my approach is all.

So I wake up in my bed and find a wombat sitting on my dresser about to pounce on me, yeah, I'll probably go bat shit on the thing. But along comes a snake in the woods while you're in your tent camping... what the hell do you expect?!

Back