* video Old Man defeats a live rattlesnake in woods with two sticks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFiptUhtQs

I was up in the appalachian trail for a week, and I met an older man who was doing the entire trail.

He talked of how he killed and ate rattlesnakes. I didn’t believe him.
But later, we ran into him again, and some female campers yelled to him that a rattlesnake was attacking their camp.

Grandpa ran down the hill and we followed him, I grabbed my camera and got footage of him squaring off against the deadly rattlesnake.

enjoy!

Freaking awesome. Iv always wanted to kill and eat a rattlesnake. Unfortunately snakes don't exist in Alaska. I'm all about the wilderness survival.

@SHD, that may be true in Ontario but there are some parts of the us that are over populated with rattlesnake and they hold events to bring down the population. I'm totally against senseless killing of animals but he did eat it and I bet it taste real good to. And don't worry about fitting in here. IMO it's a laid back community and everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Noted, Dave. I hear you, but live in a snake infested part of the country and my sympathy reaction isn't what it used to be. I've also lived in Goob's neck of the woods and like bears, but have been there when they've been shot for being a nuisance and too comfortable with people (meaning they know you will drop whatever you are carrying from experience - until someone doesn't follow the script). I don't have a problem with this. Sad, but life in action.

Snakes are my least favourite animals. Let's kill the lot!
Just kidding...kind of...

The first thing I checked when I arrived in Canada a week ago was whether there was an indigenous snake population and, having been reassured that there is not, SHDs post has begun to worry me... better get my two sticks ready...

Snakes are my least favourite animals. Let's kill the lot!
Just kidding...kind of...

The first thing I checked when I arrived in Canada a week ago was whether there was an indigenous snake population and, having been reassured that there is not, SHDs post has begun to worry me... better get my two sticks ready...

You're going to take on Bigfoot with sticks while thinking about snakes? ;) You've got bigger problems, mister. :lol:

I know I'm new here and will probably skunk my chances of fitting into the community and all, but I feel the need to point out two things:

1) What you have there is video evidence of a felony. Timber Rattlesnakes are protected and with good cause. They are already expatriated from where I live in Ontario and are having a pretty rough time of it in the Northern part of their range as well.

2) Rattlesnakes don't "attack" campsites. Let them be and they'll let you be. My wife once stepped within inches of a prarie rattler before she spotted it and it didn't bother her. I've moved and photographed several species, including Mojave's (known to be a bit cranky and somewhat neurotoxic) without incident. In North America, only the pygmy rattlers in Florida have proven to be high strung enough to make posing difficult .. and you don't have to worry about them because that same flighty tendency has them running for the hills at the slightest disturbance. The only wild venomous snakes I've found that are more tempermental than the pygmys were fer-de-lance in Costa Rica.

At least he ate it. I suppose as a hunter I can't object to that. Still, be careful who you show that to or you could get that guy in a lot of trouble.

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome! No, you certainly didn't shrink your chances of 'fitting in', here. We appreciate all opinions. Truestar is a good kid whose film has actually introduced an interesting debate. Had I been one of those campers I would have shit my pants being that close to a venomous snake. However, I agree with your sentiments above. I, too, believe Truestar may want to be careful where this piece is shown, as far as I know Ohio requires some sort of license to harvest (gramps claimed he was doing so all along trail) timber snakes (as you've mentioned they are endangered). I'm assuming grandpa and Truestar were both on the Ohio section of the trail. Perhaps gramps has the appropriate licensing, I dunno. Guess this is food for thought when filming, along with all the other myriad problems.

problem with killing and I don't have any doubt that there CAN be nuisance animals.

Now, one more observation from the video: While there was almost no chance that any of the campers was in any danger, there is actually a surprisingly high chance that the man would have died. Not when he killed the thing. That looked fairly well coordinated. Do you see the bit of residual movement in the snake when he is skinning it? Even without obvious movement, snakes can demonstrate muscle movement after they have been "killed." Several herpetologists have been killed when envenomated by "dead" snakes. So if you absolutely must kill a snake, be sure to cut off the head before dealing with the body. Best bet is to pin down the neck with a stick, put your boot on the head and then cut the neck. That way if the fangs do decide to clamp down and the venom glands expel their contents, your arm will be several yards away skinning the body. (There's a wilderness survival tip for you, gooberman. I love the survival thing too and have been on a few simulations).

Cheers,
Dave

You bring up a good point.

Just a little levity, what you've posted reminds me of one of the final scenes in The Asylum film, Mega Python vs. Gatoroid...(starting at 3:38) lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXi3tDBCA0

Last edited:
Back