This is probably a stupid question.

How old does music have to be before it becomes public domain? I have an Idea for a short film,and there is a song that would be perfect "Glenn Goodman's "In the mood" ,I would realy like to get the rights to use it , but I am not shure how to go about getting it. Any ideas? thanks.

I believe it's 70 years from the artists death. But keep in mind that that not only applies to the person who wrote the song, but also the person who owns/made the recording of it.

getsmiley.php

I believe it's 70 years from the artists death. But keep in mind that that not only applies to the person who wrote the song, but also the person who owns/made the recording of it.

This is true, but the copyright must be renewed periodically; I don't know exactly how often but something in the back of my mind says 15 years.

There are also a number of law suits, etc. that want copyrights to be extended perpetually by the copyright holders, as well as patents and the like.

I've read recently that a piece of music can not be claimed by any proprietor as it reaches 100-120 years beyond its release, and therefore becomes "Public Domain". This is merely how i discovered the material of "Enrico Caruso" had surpassed 100 years, and is within that quota.

Although, reports differ. I never trust any of it, and always choose to run it by it's label if it's still around.

This is true, but the copyright must be renewed periodically; I don't know exactly how often but something in the back of my mind says 15 years.

There are also a number of law suits, etc. that want copyrights to be extended perpetually by the copyright holders, as well as patents and the like.

That would be a shame. It would be like allowing perpetual copyright of one of the classic archetypes.

There are just not enough combinations of notes for artists to perpetually make truly original work for the rest of time. (Not that I'm saying artists copy or steal anything intentionally, there just aren't enough patterns out there, especially after Schoenberg)

Back